Wildlife smugglers targeting Australian geckos - Tuesday, 20th May 2008

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: Customs Web site
Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=10394

080520_smuggled-gecko-found-at-cairns-mail-centreThumb.jpg
080520_gecko-found-in-sydneyThumb.jpg
080520_concealed-smuggled-gecko-found-at-cairns-mail-centreThumb.jpg

Customs has uncovered a series of callous attempts to smuggle Australian leaf-tail geckos to Europe using the international postal system.
A senior Customs officer has confirmed that investigations were now underway in four Australian cities and overseas in an effort to identify and prosecute those responsible.
Customs National Manager Investigations, Richard Janeczko, said today that all of the attempts appeared to be linked with each package intended for delivery in the Czech Republic.
Mr Janeczko said that since December 2007, Customs and Australia Post had detected six separate packages containing southern and northern leaf tail geckos.
The parcels were posted in Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne and contained a total of 15 geckos. Some were concealed inside books while others were hidden inside picture frames.
"The general method seems to have been to send more than one gecko in each parcel and hope that at least one of them survived the journey," Mr Janeczko said.
"Unfortunately, many of the reptiles were already dead when Australia Post opened the packages because of a lack of adequate air, food and water. Those that survived are being looked after by registered wildlife carers.
"I am aware of one remarkably tough little northern leaf-tail gecko that managed to survive a couple of weeks cooped up inside a parcel before she could be rescued and nursed back to health in Cairns."
Mr Janeczko said Customs investigators were working within Australia and closely with their Czech counterparts in an effort to disrupt and dismantle the smuggling network.
"We're also appealing to anyone living in Australia who may have any information about these smuggling attempts to contact Customs on our 24 hour Hotline - 1800 06 1800 - immediately.
"Wildlife smuggling is simply cruel. Anyone caught being involved in this illegal trade faces a substantial fine and possible imprisonment under Australian laws," Mr Janeczko said.

Unfortunately this is an issue that in ongoing and always will be.
Why people are so calous, I cannot understand!

I love the 'substantial fine' and 'possible imprisonment' this should read 'a mild fine' and 'no chance of imprisonment'.

The justice system here only promotes continual attacks on wildlife.

Now all i hope is they catch the thieves and they're dealt the harshest of penalties known in this country for this act. Of course I'm just dreaming.

Yep so true slim.... the justice system in Aus on wildlife is just poor :( :evil:
There should be a way to stop this... but I can't see how :?

"Wildlife smuggling is simply cruel. Anyone caught being involved in this illegal trade faces a substantial fine and possible imprisonment under Australian laws," Mr Janeczko said.

it is sooooo easy to talk tough. i hope they have someone working there that can identify them now, S.swaini, cornutus, P.platurus, blue tongue, death adder, oh it's all too hard, they all look the same.

I've seen this so much lately, they seriously need to stop trying to smuggle reptiles because 95% of the time you'll get caught.

The reason they keep doing it is because it is probably more like 5% of the time you'll get caught.

I've seen this so much lately, they seriously need to stop trying to smuggle reptiles because 95% of the time you'll get caught.

that is just so sad - I don't understand how some people can be so cruel to animals

i live in north queensland and when i seen this story in the paper i was upset such a nasty act. i have two thick tailed geckos and there so cute the fact that some one can bring them selves to put gecko in books and try to smuggel them out of the country for money make me sick i hope the guy who did it knows killing geckos is bad luck may he get jail for such a sensless act and not just a fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back