Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
A huge thunderstorm hit the Windorah area on the afternoon as we approached from the south. Flash floods cut the road for awhile in the afternoon until the water levels dropped once again. We arrived late so we weren't delayed but we could see debris on the road. There were pools on the sides of the roads and these pools attracted many frogs. These were quite exciting to us since they were mostly frogs from the centre that we had not previously encountered. Most are burrowing species that only emerge after heavy rains.
habitat2.jpg

habitat1.jpg

Within a couple of days, these pools also attracted many water birds. Most of the birds in this pic are Pink-eared Ducks (shoverler-like bill) with a few Grey Teal. We also saw flocks of Glossy Ibis, Yellow-billed Spoonbills, White-headed Herons, Black-tailed Native Hens, Black-winged Stilts, Red-kneed Plovers and others.
ducks1.jpg

Brolga even turned up one day.
bird_brolga1.jpg

One of the loudest calls was made by Knife-footed Frogs (Cyclorana cultripes). This species is one of the smaller inland burrowing frogs. They looked quite comical when they were so inflated.
frog_burr2.jpg

frog_burr1.jpg

... some were so muddy that they looked like they had just emerged.
frog_burr4.jpg

frog_burr5.jpg

... others
frog_burr3.jpg

frog_burr6.jpg

frog_burr7.jpg

Two nights later, we re-visited this pool and there were hardly any frogs remaining at all. The frenzy must have only lasted one or two nights.
frog_burr8.jpg

The big New Holland Frogs (Cyclorana novaehollandiae) were also in the pools. Their loud call ("wonk") was often heard.
frog_burr10.jpg

frog_burr15.jpg

We also heard what I think were Water-holding Frogs (Cyclorana platycephala) but we could never locate the calling frogs. This one was so pale that I thought at first that it might be a Cyclorana platycephala but I think that it was probably a lightly marked C. novaehollandiae.
frog_burr16.jpg

Broad-palmed Frogs (Litoria latopalmata) were very local. We found many but only at one pond in brushy habitat. The frogs tended to call from depressions so were not easy to find.
frog_broad1.jpg

Desert Tree Frogs (Litoria rubella) were common. They were also hard to spot since they called from the base of grass thickets near the water.
frog_desert1.jpg

Green Tree Frogs (Litoria caerulea) are a wide-ranging species found over much of Australia. It seemed odd to see these frogs at Windorah after seeing many in the wet tropical forests of far-north Queensland earlier this year.
greenTreeFrog.jpg

Desert Froglets (Crinia deserticola) were tiny frogs that were easy to hear but not so easy to spot.
frog_tiny1a.jpg

I am not certain but I think these odd looking creatures are Trilling Frogs (Neobatrachis centralis). We saw large numbers of them but only on ponds with lots of fine silt. The frogs would float near the surface with only their eyes or sometimes the top of their heads protruding above the surface. It was an eerie sight to scan to water with a spotlight and see lots of eyes but nothing else. Most of these frogs were pale but some were more strongly marked (I assume they are all the same species but I could be wrong).
... strongly marked form:
frog_unk1.jpg

frog_unk1a.jpg

... pale form:
frog_unk5.jpg

frog_unk2.jpg

frog_unk4.jpg

frog_unk3.jpg

The frog that we enjoyed the most was this Desert Spadefoot Toad (Notaden nichollsi), a relative of the beautiful Southern Cross Frog. We only saw this single animal in an area of red sand near Windorah.
frog_notoden1.jpg

frog_notoden3.jpg

frog_notoden4.jpg

One afternoon, we drove back to the pools to see what else might be around. We found and followed this huge Yellow-spotted Monitor (Varanus panoptes) for awhile. It seemed to be hunting around the edge of the water. We saw it stop and sniff at the ground but never actually saw it catch anything.
liz_monitor3.jpg

yellow_spotted1.jpg

yellow_spotted3.jpg

yellow_spotted4.jpg

yellow_spotted8.jpg

liz_monitor7.jpg

The monitor allowed us to closely approach it. It looked a little annoyed but did not appear frightened at all. I suppose that it knew that it could rip us to shreds with its claws if necessary.
yellow_spotted7.jpg

liz_monitor5.jpg

We visited Cooper's Creek a few times.
habitat11.jpg

... Australian Pelicans, Royal Spoonbills, Little Black Cormorants:
habitatCoopers1.jpg

Water in this creek is permanent and there were many turtles although they were almost impossible to photograph. This was the only shot that I could take, a dead Cooper's Creek Turtle (Emydura macquarii emmotti).
turtle1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great photos as always David. Good to see pictures of C. cultripes - a lot of the photos in field guides and on the web seem to be mis-ID's ... but the call is quite distinctive. Shame you didn't get any platycephala, they can be tricky to find in flooded grasslands because they are very aquatic and tend to duck down quickly under water when disturbed. I'm impressed you got C. deserticola, it was one species that eluded me out west this summer!

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. The call of the C. cultripes matches that on the "Frogs of Australia" website. The little Crinia was common by call but only on some of the flooded areas. It seemed to prefer flooded grasslands.

Regards,
David

On FieldHerpForum, one of the participants asked me about the strange body form of the Notaden frogs. Has anyone ever read about anything about why these frogs have such flat faces and round bodies?

The guy who asked came up with an idea that sounds quite plausible to me (I had referred him to Henry's post last year of the frogs from Nyngan):

Thanks for the link to the Notaden bennettii photos. Looking at all the water-bloated frogs on that page as well as yours, I had a thought about a potential advantage of the flat face. Neobatrachus and Notaden are both not only flat-faced but overall extremely rounded everywhere. And they both hold large quantities of water in their bodies to take advantage of ephemeral rainfall. Maybe the general almost-spherical shape is an evolutionary advantage for retaining maximal quantities of water, and the flat face is just one detail of that overall shape.

I think you are correct the rounded body shape helps to retain water and since they spend long periods underground there is very little need to develop a lean physique. I think the flattened mouth of the Notaden reflects more its dietary choice of ants and termites. The mouth flicks open and shut very quickly and their prey items are small so they haven't needed huge jaws like the Cyclorana spp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back