Wintering a Red-belly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this site. I rehab injured reptiles and have a Red-belly with some nasty cuts from a net it was entangled in. There are about 5 cuts around the whole body and some skin missing in a few places. It is eating well and I only treated it with saline/water. All wounds are quite dry but I was advised to keep it over winter now as it has some healing to do? I also was hoping to see that it would shed ok.
My questions are, do you think it will be able to shed ok and what is the best way to go about wintering it with regards to cool temperatures and when is the best time for this.
Thanks a lot.
cj

cj, I would suggest that you want to keep it warm right through winter if you can, to give it the best chance when you release it next spring. Also, keeping it warm will encourage it to shed more, if cooled, it will not shed until warmed back up.
It will probably have problems shedding for the first couple of sheds. If you are experienced enough to head it, you will be able to help it with those first couple if it needs it. If not, you'll just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it sheds all it's old skin even if it takes a while (or take it to someone with more experience.)
The scar tissue around the cuts will tend to make the shed break as it is shedding until the scars are small enough not to matter.
Good luck :D

Thanks for your help about the Red-belly.
cj

I agree with everything Magpie said. :D
We had a red-belly recently that was also caught in a fruit net with a few lacerations. We treated it with betadine diluted with water, however a saline solution is still good for snake wounds.
We kept him until he shed and he was able to shed well without any probs, so we then released him.
I'd do as Magpie said and keep him warm over winter so that he will have a better chance when you get to release him... Good luck!! :)

I'd just like to enforce what Magpie said. I too would keep the heat to it through out winter. It will increase the metabolism and its growing/healing rate.
When it's going to shed, make sure it's skin is nice and supple. ie. raising the humidity of the tank and as Alex said, bathe it in warm water just prior to the slough. I had a Whip Snake once with a very large chunk missing distally to the vent. Everytime time it sloughed, it tore the scab and all the healing off. Having to start the healing process over again.
A real pain in the butt, (pun not intended)

Justin

OK firstly I wouldnt reccomend this at all.The bloke who did the following was a loser IMHO. (hope he dont read this or has no idea I am talking about him)
But I spoke to a guy sometime ago who is a snake relocator up in kempsey.He had told me a story of a RBBS he had caught that was very aggressive and had several lacerations and it had trouble shedding,so he'd have to assist it. He actually put the snake in a pillow case and placed it in the fridge so that it would cool down and be alot slower.I kid you not he was fair dinkum about the event and had told me that is what he does with all agressive snakes.

PS Im not sure about snakes but I know fish can go into shock and die when temps are suddenly lowered or highered.

I don't agree with any animal being cooled so that it slows down. I remember seeing a american documentary showing how a particular lab milked coral snakes. It showed the snake being placed in a fridge for several minutes so that it could be "safely handled".

i'm pretty sure that reptiles can get very sick from being severly cooled down.

Sounds like this guy is a right wally. What experienced snake handler would ever do that to any snake?
All the handlers i know can handle every snake easily without any of that.
A friend of mine, while doing snake shows, actually found it more thrilling to put all four Eastern Browns back in the bag in one go. Quite a sight to see him juggle them all in one hand while holding the bag in the other, but you can have that trick Hamish.
There should be no reason for this, an operation is the only reason a snake should be anethetised, and that still iclude a fridge.
What happened to the old "snake's head in a plastic tube trick"? It won't be biting anything then!

Ahhh the ol plastic tube :p
I use that method to probe animals and also to measure a snake if i use a clear tube and mark with texta. :D :D

Hi,

I think the past 4-5 replies before this one have got a little off track.
I agree with Magpie and a few others that the best thing to do is to keep it warm over winter to aid healing and shedding in the spring.
Thanks a lot for all your replies though.
cj

hi cj and welcome to aps
you didnt happen to take that red belly to wyoming vet last week did u?

Ahhh dont you hate it when people get off subject?
It reminds me of this one time at band camp,somebody took some food and there was a bear and and and blahhhhh

LOL :lol:

Hi b_r,

No, this snake came from the south coast area.

John, (off topic) I would love to compare bear stories some time as I have camped with many.
Regards,
cj

just wanted to know cj as we had a red belly come in with the exact same injuries and was caught up in a net also...must be the season 4 it

:)

Hi.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice re the red belly black, but I just thought I'd mention that camping with bears is not a good idea.

I tried it once, but they are hopeless at putting up tents, can't cook and leave a mess everywhere!

Frankly, they are just too lazy. You'd be much better off going camping with a human. Just my opinion, of course! :wink:

[Sorry for going off topic]! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back