Woma Care Help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davobmx

Reaction score
im a fairly experienced keeper with 5 pythons all up, i have kept carpets and stimsons for over 2 years but recently got my first woma.
i know the basics but just after some more info from experienced woma keepers.
what temps you prefer?
is Humidity an issue?
feeding size? i go with 15-25% max with my carpets as i like to keep record.
night time heating?
heat source most prefred?

any advice is helpful cheers

im a fairly experienced keeper with 5 pythons all up, i have kept carpets and stimsons for over 2 years but recently got my first woma.
i know the basics but just after some more info from experienced woma keepers.
what temps you prefer?
is Humidity an issue?
feeding size? i go with 15-25% max with my carpets as i like to keep record.
night time heating?
heat source most prefred?
any advice is helpful cheers

I keep mine at 20 - 36 ish
basking site is generally around 36 can be as high as 38 and as low as 33
humidity needs to be high for sheds otherwise not an issue but preferrably low as persistent high can/will lead to fungal trouble (i provide a moist shedbox filled with spangum moss)
feeding size 20% for juveniles 10% for adults no adult rats because of high fat content -> see fatty liver disease juveniles can take as much as 33% but that is borderline and i would not recommend it (i was out of food at the time and had to work with what i had (i know ****ty planning.. go figure))
temos never below 15, otherwise no night time heat
i'm a fan of heat cords, a basking light may work well, but i have my collection entirely on cord atm with lights merely used for illumination/uv when appropriate (i have no uv for the woma

hope that helps ;-)

I keep mine at 20 - 36 ish
basking site is generally around 36 can be as high as 38 and as low as 33
humidity needs to be high for sheds otherwise not an issue but preferrably low as persistent high can/will lead to fungal trouble (i provide a moist shedbox filled with spangum moss)
feeding size 20% for juveniles 10% for adults no adult rats because of high fat content -> see fatty liver disease juveniles can take as much as 33% but that is borderline and i would not recommend it (i was out of food at the time and had to work with what i had (i know ****ty planning.. go figure))
temos never below 15, otherwise no night time heat
i'm a fan of heat cords, a basking light may work well, but i have my collection entirely on cord atm with lights merely used for illumination/uv when appropriate (i have no uv for the woma

hope that helps ;-)

thanks alot mate really helpful, rats and shedding i will look into. cheers mate

Hot spot anywhere from 33 to 36 degrees i have never really worried about humidity for woma's as i was told they have a really oily type skin to other pythons that helps them when it comes to shedding my woma's always have perfect sheds :) i first started of with heat lights and heat mats but now iv changed my setups and just us the heat cord title method which works a treat and saves power :) i usually feed my woma's a good sized medium rat i like to feed them leaner rats then a big fatty rat.
My setup consists of there basking spot on the right side of the enclosure which is a heat cord under a tile with the thermostat prob stuck down under the tile i use Oz Pet Litter for substrate and largish water bowl on the cool side and a rock or two to help shedding :)
Hope that helped :)

Caleb.

Wish my woma got the memo that he's supposed to have oily skin and perfect sheds... And I live in tropical qld where it's very humid :p

I'm not exactly sure if they do but that's what i was told unlike other pythons that usually have to be misted for shedding iv never misted my woma's because of that reason.
Just think there a desert snake is there much humidity out in the desert? its hot and usually very dry.

Caleb.

I have a basking spot of 40 degrees plus and a cool burrow at 20 degrees. Large water dish only filled once a month to reduce humidity when not in shed. Large 2400 x 600 floor area tank. Normal 100 watt globe as heater element and heat cord for under floor night spot. I feed only growing rats upto about 5 weeks old as these have little fat and I feed as many as they will eat then refeed when they have digested and no lumps left

Ive read not to feed rats over 150-180g, this is when they start to fatten up apparently.

Rick

I have a basking spot of 40 degrees plus and a cool burrow at 20 degrees. Large water dish only filled once a month to reduce humidity when not in shed. Large 2400 x 600 floor area tank. Normal 100 watt globe as heater element and heat cord for under floor night spot. I feed only growing rats upto about 5 weeks old as these have little fat and I feed as many as they will eat then refeed when they have digested and no lumps left

I've found there are such varied opinions on keeping womas, it's hard to keep up :/

I recently increased my 8 month old's rat to a small adult every 7 days and have read that I should feed no larger than a medium. What is a 5 week old rat classified as and on average how many would you feed?

Is the large water dish to be filled once a month for drinking water as well or a separate bowl?

How did you make a burrow? I read they like to live and widen out existing burrows in the wild. I'm going to be using coir peat, what do you use? A burrow sounds cool :)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm mostly just curious to get your opinion as it seems to differ to what I've read and been told thus far :)

What substrate do most people prefer ? I use AstroTurf with all my snakes. It's good for my woma cause it heats well form the heat mat bug I'm worried my woma is gona have an issue with not being able to burrow. I've seen him often since I got him trying to to dig and burrow.
Is this an issue? Do they need to burrow or are hides enough ?

I've found there are such varied opinions on keeping womas, it's hard to keep up :/

I recently increased my 8 month old's rat to a small adult every 7 days and have read that I should feed no larger than a medium. What is a 5 week old rat classified as and on average how many would you feed?

Is the large water dish to be filled once a month for drinking water as well or a separate bowl?

How did you make a burrow? I read they like to live and widen out existing burrows in the wild. I'm going to be using coir peat, what do you use? A burrow sounds cool :)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm mostly just curious to get your opinion as it seems to differ to what I've read and been told thus far :)

If you are only filling a bowl with water once a month that may be why you are having an issue with shedding. I've read that internal hydration is just as important as humidity during sloughing.

Aspidites drink a fair bit of water, probably because in the wild water isn't always around so they drink when they can. I have a little dish that I change every day or two. Snakes don't drink water that has being stagnant for a while.

Looking back the only time either of mine has had a bad shed was when I went away for a few days. I thought it might have being because my substrate got really dry, but now I think it was a combination of that and old water.

If you are only filling a bowl with water once a month that may be why you are having an issue with shedding. I've read that internal hydration is just as important as humidity during sloughing.

Aspidites drink a fair bit of water, probably because in the wild water isn't always around so they drink when they can. I have a little dish that I change every day or two. Snakes don't drink water that has being stagnant for a while.

Looking back the only time either of mine has had a bad shed was when I went away for a few days. I thought it might have being because my substrate got really dry, but now I think it was a combination of that and old water.

I know, that's why I was asking. I use a large water dish filled with bottled water that gets changed every second day.

Edit: lack of fresh water is not the reason for my woma having bad sheds.

I know, that's why I was asking. I use a large water dish filled with bottled water that gets changed every second day.

Edit: lack of fresh water is not the reason for my woma having bad sheds.

Sorry your previous comment made it sound like you were only topping the bowl up. And I didn't say dehydration is the reason, I said 'if' and 'may'.

Out of curiosity why are you using bottled water? Last time I was in Mackay I don't remember the quality of tap water being bad. Even if it is reptiles have adapted to drink fairly average water in the wild.

Sorry your previous comment made it sound like you were only topping the bowl up. And I didn't say dehydration is the reason, I said 'if' and 'may'.

Out of curiosity why are you using bottled water? Last time I was in Mackay I don't remember the quality of tap water being bad. Even if it is reptiles have adapted to drink fairly average water in the wild.

I have bore water only as I don't live in town. I don't like the taste of it and started a thread a while ago asking if bore water was ok for herps. I give him bottled water because it's what I drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back