Woma eye problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
Hi guys,
my woma male has a reoccuring eye issue. Originally thought to be retained eye caps, it will clear up after a shed then re-appear. When possible i have located the eye caps in his shed, but the last shed the head sections were torn up.
I am increasing the humidity to see if that helps. Left eye shows half black/half grey. The right eye is normal.

It doesn't appear to cause any discomfort and is feeding and shedding well.
Any ideas would be very helpful
IMG_1087.jpgIMG_1089.JPG

It looks like it "maybe" another long term retained eye cap, what l have found is very helpfull "just in case" there is any mild infection there as well and to save raising humidity in the whole enclosure is to get some "Chlorsig" drops from your Chemist, l would suggest the drops 2-3 in the eye concerned at night.
these are a "very mild" antibiotic that requires no perscription especially for eyes either way these could do NO harm to your Woma and could soften the cap if thats what it is and possibly treat any infection at the same time with no side affects which is always a prime consideration ~WR~

I agree with wr, looks to me like there may be an old eyecap still in place, or it could be that a minor infection is affecting the fluid layer between the eyecap and the eye - you did say that it is clear after a shed then deteriorates again. I'm not one to run to the vet at the slightest hint of trouble, but I'd probably be inclined to get professional advice from someone with the tools to diagnose and deal with a problem like this. If you do, I'd really like to hear what the outcome is.

Jamie

Have a look at the roof of its mouth, there are 2 ducts one on each side in from each eye which drain excess fluid from the eye. The one on the side where the problem eye is, is more than likely infected. If so use some slightly diluted,(with water), betadine on a cotton bud. This should fix the problem if it hasn't gone too far, if not you may need to take it to a vet for some antibiotics. If this is the problem of course, but it certainly looks like it. Cant remember the correct term for this infection as I just refer to it as white eye. I have seen and heard of it a couple of times over the years.

Last edited:
Have a look at the roof of its mouth, there are 2 ducts one on each side in from each eye which drain excess fluid from the eye. The one on the side where the problem eye is, is more than likely infected. If so use some slightly diluted,(with water), betadine on a cotton bud. This should fix the problem if it hasn't gone too far, if not you may need to take it to a vet for some antibiotics. If this is the problem of course, but it certainly looks like it. Cant remember the correct term for this infection as I just refer to it as white eye. I have seen and heard of it a couple of times over the years.

Apply the betadine to the duct inside the mouth? Just clarifying.

Hi saikrett,

I'm inclined to agree with Trueblue that the problem may be associated with what's known as "white eye".

As Trueblue has mentioned, snakes have nasolacrimal ducts that drain fluid into the vomeronasal organ (Jacobson's organ). The fluid then drains into the mouth and is swallowed. Sometimes this organ can become blocked and due to the close proximity can cause the eye to become infected resulting in fluid build up, swelling, cysts and abscesses.

This could be a result of an underlying infection.

You can try and treat it with diluted betadine as Trueblue has suggested but if it persists or has persisted for some time I'm inclined to believe that the best option would be to get advise from a vet.

Cheers,

George.

oystapog, Yes that is correct. You will be able to see if it is infected as it will be red and a bit swollen.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's really helpful.
went through his last shed again and confirmed that both eye caps were shed.

Had a look in his mouth and there is some slight redness towards the front of his mouth so have started swabbing with dilute betadine. Will give it a few days then off to the vet.

Will keep everyone posted.

@saikrett, Just out of curiosity and for the benefit of others- How did you get your beautiful Woma to stay still long enough whilst holding it upside down so you could swab the inflamed area?. I only ask this as i had an Intergrade who had a small injury to the roof of it's mouth and i had a hell of a job keeping her still to apply the Betadine , I even (in desperation) contemplated putting her in the fridge for 10 mins (i did not and would not ever do this, just an example of how desperate i was). :) ................Ron

Yeah Ron its not easy, and he lets me know that he doesn't like it. I found its a 2 person job where one holds the snake's body and three finger grip on the head, and another person props the mouth open with a plastic splint. Actually found a sterilized pen works the best. Slight pressure on the back of the jaw usually opens their mouth a bit.
Not having a pronounced head also makes it harder to maintain a good hold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back