Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Rabbit

Reaction score
So I have read a lot on this forum that 'snakes do not like being handled - they tolerate it'

However my woma seems to love it... At the same time every evening I find her 'tapping' her nose on the top of her click clack, so I open it and within about a minute she comes out onto my hand that I place on the outside of the enclosure.

I have NEVER taken her out without her coming out on her own, it's always up to her if she wants to come out or not and she has never not come strait onto my hand.

I handle her for quite a while every day... she seems very relaxed and content with this and when I place her back into her enclosure, within minutes, most of the time her head is up the top of the enclosure again, sometimes I will open the lid again and she will be back out on my hand within seconds.

I know some of you might be rolling your eyes about the fact that I think she loves being handled but it's just the impression I get from her... if she was only tolerating it then surely she wouldn't be doing this at the same time every evening and coming out with her own free will?

With this, comes two questions:
Is it possible to be handling her too much?
Is there a maximum time I should be handling her for when I do?

Again each snake might be different from the last, my Children's python really doesn't want to come out of his cage, I can leave the door open and he would rather be under his hide rock then come out, but once in my hands hes quite happy to have a bit of a slither and get inquisitive with the smell and surroundings :)

Our BHP is the same. Clearly enjoys the contact. Actually, he is very good at tying your wrists together handcuff style. Occasionaly he is not in the mood but usually if you pop the lid he's into a contact.

One of my snakes is the same! By about 7:00 he'll be off his ledge and close to banging on the enclosure doors to get out! I just open the door and he climbs straight up on to me.

One of my snakes is the same! By about 7:00 he'll be off his ledge and close to banging on the enclosure doors to get out! I just open the door and he climbs straight up on to me.

Yep!! 7pm for mine too =)

It makes me so happy that she is like this, I haven't had her long but I can't believe how much I love her, (almost as much as I love my 4y.o. son I think... shhhhh)

Yep!! 7pm for mine too =)

It makes me so happy that she is like this, I haven't had her long but I can't believe how much I love her, (almost as much as I love my 4y.o. son I think... shhhhh)

But don't tell your son that :)

a lot of people will argue that you shouldnt handle your snakes much, i disagree it comes down to the individual snake. I have snakes that hate it, others that tolerate it and others that really like it.

well thank god ! I have been chastised over this issue on this site before, and I am so glad 5 , well 6 including me people agree that their snakes enjoy be handled !

I had one guy tell me that my snakes will never know the difference between me and any other person , and that, to my snakes Im nothing but a warm tree ....... LMAO

anyway thanx people I dont feel like such a freak anymore....

My juvi diamond and yearling darwin seem to love it. My yearling bredlis dont like it to much but are coming around the more they are handled

well thank god ! I have been chastised over this issue on this site before, and I am so glad 5 , well 6 including me people agree that their snakes enjoy be handled !

I had one guy tell me that my snakes will never know the difference between me and any other person , and that, to my snakes Im nothing but a warm tree ....... LMAO

You're still a freak but it has nothing to do with your snake handling....haha just kidding...

I've also been told this, but I personally think they know the difference. Mine are happy to be handled by others but will always try and come back to me if they can see me.

My darwin does this I don't know if it's a smell or site thing but when any one else in my family is holding her she always stretches out to try and come back to me

Do they like being handled, or do they just tolerate it? This will always be up for debate..... from personal experience from the 24 snakes that i keep, i would say 25percent of them Love being out of the enclosure, whilst being handled at all times, 60 percent of the snakes, tolerate being handled in a fasion, will come out, but prefer it to be on their own terms, but if it means being handled then all good.... and the other 15 percent, just plainly want nothing to do with human interaction.... :) only personal experience and my opinion, take what you will.

Snakes have personalitys. Some like handling, Some like their owners, and can determine between owner and someone else. be it smell, heart beat, sweat glands, or a choice of many other things. i believe snakes can tell the difference, and like many other ppl, i have snakes that will always try coming back to me if being held by someone else in close proximity. i dont mean in reaching distance either, i mean where they would have to get down, move a short distance( -3m) to get to me.... have experimented with 7 friends sitting at a round table, where an 8th person would place snake in middle of table, 19/20 times the snakes would come to me.... Take what you will from it.

I hadn't thought about it before, but my Childrens python does seem to want to come back to me/ not let go of my hand when I give it to someone to hold/ try to give it to someone to hold. I find it frustrating but also a little bit cute. Awesome snake love him to bits :D

As for snakes likeing you more than other people, I think it's more they are just used to your scent and not theres and end up looking for something familiar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back