Woma ovulated but didnt mate......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This little girl got eggbound last year and had all sorts of dramas laying so I obviously rested her this year to help her recuperate.......she was in the same rack as my other womas who being cooled for breeding and just last week I re-arranged a few critters and she got put into a rack with 24hr heat.

When checking on her the other day I noticed that she was incredibly swollen, holding her body tense, and a bit more flighty than normal.

Who knows what she will pop out but I thought it was rather interesting - im wondering if she could have retained some sperm from last year????

Sorry about the dodgy pic - just snapped it on my iphone this arvo.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• woma.JPG
    woma.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 514
Very interesting Dave ,
Now you have a chance to find out if she retained viable sperm from last season.
But hope she dont get egg bound on you again.
Good luck.
Roger

might be a phanton pregnacy she may ovulate but re-absorb the ova. then again did she store sperm as some other species can???
I guess you'll find out dave if she pre-sheds down the track and actually lays........

will be great to conclusively prove that they can retain viable sperm for that long !!

Her getting egg bound again is my biggest concern so hopefully it all pans out smoothly. I will be keeping a very close eye on her from here on in......

I may be wrong yommy but I thought once they ovulate they lay something and its follicles that they will grow but reabsorb.....I may be wrong and maybe someone else will correct me.

Cheers,
dave

Thats interesting david,bredlis and pale headed snakes can retain sperm so womas are a good chance.

i've had antaresia swell like ovulation thought well on they were well way to being gravid to then remove the male early and ending up with no eggs.
I now leave the males in until i'm 100% sure she's gravid or showing signs. belly up etc. no more issues since.

It will be good to see what results David - but i have had my olive python phantom me twice now in 7 years, but both times i think was due to her just not having enough condition on her as i keep my olives as lean as i can and still only breed the girls every two years.

Im 99% sure she has ovulated and its not just follicles but I could be wrong.....only time will tell I guess. Will keep this thread updated with how she goes....

Goodluck with her hope all works out and doesn't get egg bound again and keep us informed

this girl is looking chunkier and chunkier and has had a shed so will be interesting to see what comes of it.....there is something going on with her one way or another! She is about 10 days off laying from the date she shed and is either basking or pacing her enclosure.

Attachments

• woma1.jpg
    woma1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 274
Looking promising.....only another couple of days until she is due to lay which by looking at her I would say she will.
hequtyze.jpg

Female snakes can store sperm from a previous male for years and use it whenever they wish. If you bred her last year, she may have stored some and is using it now. Like you could breed a snake in 2005, not breed it again and could have a clutch in 2007 because it stored some sperm from the previous male.
Hope that cleared things up!
Good luck with her btw, I LOVE WOMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers for posting this thread deebo , its really quiet interesting to read , will be even more interesting to see if she lays (which she definitely looks like it from all the pics ive seen but ive never bred reps so wouldnt really know) and then if any of the eggs are viable

just one thing , if she does have hatchies by some miracle , will you call any jesus ?

looking forward to seeing what comes of it dave. hopefully she gets all the eggs out this year, anything more than that is a bonus.

i hope it all goes smoothly stu - dont want a repeat of last year with her insides becoming her outsides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back