woma tv unit

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch_hynes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
so i have decided that i would like a woma python and im going to make his enclosure 5x2x2 and then have another elevated piece of timber on top the same size as the top of the enclosure seperated from the top with spacers for my TV, xbox and dvd player etc... i think it is the best idea i have had haha what are everyone elses thoughts on this project?? im so excited about it hahaha

so i have decided that i would like a woma python and im going to make his enclosure 5x2x2 and then have another elevated piece of timber on top the same size as the top of the enclosure seperated from the top with spacers for my TV, xbox and dvd player etc... i think it is the best idea i have had haha what are everyone elses thoughts on this project?? im so excited about it hahaha

The old school deep TV cabinets are great. I am in the middle of doing two; One for my MD carpet and one for my diamond. I would be mindful of how much vibration and noise is coming out of your entertainment 'stuff' though. This may cause undue stress to the Woma. Personally, I have my snakes in the quietest room in the house (sitting room).
Cheers

its just i would really like a woma and its the only thing i can think of that would make the enclosure fit it making a lowline tv unit and getting rid of the tv unit i have now aarrgghh!!!

its just i would really like a woma and its the only thing i can think of that would make the enclosure fit it making a lowline tv unit and getting rid of the tv unit i have now aarrgghh!!!

Definitely not saying don't do it. The cabinets are great way to make furniture style enclosures. just be aware of the level of noise vibration coming through the top. Maybe you can wall mount the TV above the cabinet and make sure all speakers were on stands away from the cabinet. Just thoughts.

Others may think it doesn't even matter. Would love to hear their thoughts.

And I've only just heard do you really have to have and class two licence in NSW to own a woma?? :(

And I've only just heard do you really have to have and class two licence in NSW to own a woma?? :(
they where years ago and the old species list is still floating about on the net thats what i think still causes the confusion , oh and ditch the x-box piece of junk and get a ps3 ,don't know how you guys use those over sized goofy controllers :) ;) , i will soon be doing a similar thing though mine will just sit on top of the enclosure , ps3 is quiet as a mouse(vibration wise also) as is the tv so couldn't see a problem with it myself , if the equipment is obviously vibrating (as crappy x-boxs do ;) ) then consider moving it , or get a ps3

Haha yea my Xbox would vibrate a hole through it haha ill give you that one I might have to sit it on the ground haha but my tv should be fine might but my iPod in a completely different room though haha

would some sort of foam or sponge or even rubber not help to absorb some of the vibrations? i mean surely it couldnt be that bad that you couldnt use something like that to fix the problem? maybe i am completely wrong but it might be worth giving it a crack

How do I sink halogen light fittings into timber and so they are flush to the top of the enclosure?? Or do I just go with the normal ceramic light fitting and exo terra bulb or?? And info on how to install light fittings appreciated Thanks

How do I sink halogen light fittings into timber and so they are flush to the top of the enclosure?? Or do I just go with the normal ceramic light fitting and exo terra bulb or?? And info on how to install light fittings appreciated Thanks
well you could have it going through just the roof but the it will stick out the top and be kinda annoying , or you could make a false roof , might be a bit tricky depending on your wood working skills but will look good when done

or you could just get a hanging ceramic fitting and hang it from the roof , this is alot simpler imo

with all these you should use some cement fibre board as a heat buffer , a tip i was given from someone on here is to ask house builders on site if they have any scraps , they tend to use a bit of it in houses

well you could have it going through just the roof but the it will stick out the top and be kinda annoying , or you could make a false roof , might be a bit tricky depending on your wood working skills but will look good when done

or you could just get a hanging ceramic fitting and hang it from the roof , this is alot simpler imo

with all these you should use some cement fibre board as a heat buffer , a tip i was given from someone on here is to ask house builders on site if they have any scraps , they tend to use a bit of it in houses
I'm not worried about any cords sticking out of the top I can deal with that but what is cement fibre board? Her buffer? Is that so when the ceramic heats up it doesn't burn the timber? And it's board so I'm assuming its not flexible? How would I use it? Haha sorry but thanks for all info

OK guys and gals,
lets help Mitch out here. He's been trying to get answers to question via multiple threads and not had much (if any) help. so at my suggestion he has come back to this thread to get some answers (hopefully)

Firstly Mitch, can you please answer some questions so we all know where you want to go with this.

- have you decided to go with the woma and the 5 x 2 x 2 (1520cm x 61cm x 61cm for the metrically inclined) build from scratch or are you going to convert something existing ?
- do you already have a heat source, if so what wattage and what type. ( i seem to recall you saying something about a heat mat previously)
- do you have a thermometer and a thermostat.
- do you know an electrician

you may be jumping the gun a little by asking how to install down lights before you have decided exactly how you want the cabinet to be.

Halogen lighting is good, but i'd only do it in tall enclosures. they can produce a lot of heat from the top which may effect your TV if youre going to put that on top.

OK guys and gals,
lets help Mitch out here. He's been trying to get answers to question via multiple threads and not had much (if any) help. so at my suggestion he has come back to this thread to get some answers (hopefully)

Firstly Mitch, can you please answer some questions so we all know where you want to go with this.
ok so
- have you decided to go with the woma and the 5 x 2 x 2 (1520cm x 61cm x 61cm for the metrically inclined) build from scratch or are you going to convert something existing ?
- do you already have a heat source, if so what wattage and what type. ( i seem to recall you saying something about a heat mat previously)
- do you have a thermometer and a thermostat.
- do you know an electrician

you may be jumping the gun a little by asking how to install down lights before you have decided exactly how you want the cabinet to be.

Halogen lighting is good, but i'd only do it in tall enclosures. they can produce a lot of heat from the top which may effect your TV if youre going to put that on top.
ok so I have decided to go with the woma and I was at the hardware today and im going to go with a 1800x600x600mm 1: because they are they exact and closes sizes there MDF sheets come in and 2: it will ultimately give the snake more room. I do have a heat source its a URS heat mat 20watts @ 230volts I do not have any kind of lighting yet as I am yet to know what would be the best to use I do not have a thermostat yet but am getting one with a thermometer diode attached it has two power plugs one for lighting and one for heating (heat mat/heat cord) I do know an electrician??

Thanks Mitch,
the only reason i asked about the electician is so that they can wire everything up for you PROPERLY. Dont attempt DIY electrical work, its not worth the risk of burning your house down for.

and anyone who suggests DIY Electrical work in this forum will get an infraction from me !!

but what is cement fibre board? Her buffer? Is that so when the ceramic heats up it doesn't burn the timber? And it's board so I'm assuming its not flexible? How would I use it?

Yes looks like a thin sheet of cement. it has the flexibility of a dry piece of spaghetti (none) and it doesnt transmit heat, so by putting it above your ceramic heat emitter it will protect the timber. drill a hole through the sheet (wear a mask) for the cord / ceramic batten to go through, so you'll either need a drill bit or a hole saw depending on wether you get your electrician to wire up a ceramic fitting or you but a pre wired one.

oh and when I say ceramic light fitting I mean ceramic holder (what you screw the bulb into, just to clarify any confusion) the actual holder itself unscrews into two pieces so I could drill a hole with a hole bit just smaller then the outside circumference of the holder and screw it together from either side of the whole into place (I feel this isn't making sense, but for some reason I cant upload pictures because that would make what im saying make sense)(because I have a ceramic bulb holder in my scorpion enclosure) sorry if im not making any sense :/

Makes perfect sense and yes you're right. But you'll find the the plug and the diameter of the fitting don't match, so depending on how you plan on proceeding (pre wired or electrician connected) you may need to enlarge the opening to allow for the plug

Makes perfect sense and yes you're right. But you'll find the the plug and the diameter of the fitting don't match, so depending on how you plan on proceeding (pre wired or electrician connected) you may need to enlarge the opening to allow for the plug
well when you unscrew the holder theres two wires connected simply via screws unscrew then the wires disconnect and so the holder completely disconnects into two separate pieces so put the half that holds the bulb inside and the cord outside and reconnect and screw back together and into place (I hope it turns out to be as simple as that) haha

I went with the false cieling idea in my enclosure but with your height choice I wouldn't go that way as you will lose 120mm or so. Be aware that even thick MDF will bow so you will probably need a strut or support half way along your font edge especially as you are adding load obove the enclosure.

I went with the false cieling idea in my enclosure but with your height choice I wouldn't go that way as you will lose 120mm or so. Be aware that even thick MDF will bow so you will probably need a strut or support half way along your font edge especially as you are adding load obove the enclosure.
I don't even know what to do anymore about the enclosure, and you cant really convert an old book shelf or one of the old big TV units for a woma cause they don't climb?? im so confused!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back