Wood??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zack13

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just about to start my first ever build and want it to look good. So I don't want to use melamine. I want to make it a display enclosure. I have done quite a bit of looking but can't really find any nice wood that isn't harmful to the snakes like pine or cedar.

So I guess my question is what are some good types of wood that you guys have used?

I haven't built one yet but I will be soon. I always wanted to use red gum until I foud out the eucalyptus smell would harm the snakes :( The only one that comes to mind right now is ply wood....not very pretty to look at though! Hope someone else can answer this question for you as I would love to know myself!

Just wondering why one can't use pine? I suppose in order to make it nice it would be treated with something

Just wondering why one can't use pine? I suppose in order to make it nice it would be treated with something
I read it can release odours that can be harmful to your snake.

Have seen plenty of pine enclosures for sale - most restored tv cabinets which are used as snake enclosures are pine (can be painted or varnished/sealed). And I don't understand why Eucalyptus would harm a snake when the wild ones live in them....

Have seen plenty of pine enclosures for sale - most restored tv cabinets which are used as snake enclosures are pine (can be painted or varnished/sealed). And I don't understand why Eucalyptus would harm a snake when the wild ones live in them....

I thought the strong aroma would irritate them, if not I'm building some red-gum enclosures because the wood looks amazing!!!

Yep that's got me as well where can we find the info on what we can use and what we cant.

lots of chipboard has some very bad glues used as well, everything has its negatives.

I am thinking about using marine ply it at least has A grade faces and looks nice not cheap though also been thinking about using merbau decking as well just to be a bit different, but I have all the tools to handle this so that wont be a problem either you could also use cladding I guess.

Treated pine has arsenic in and chemicals which are harmful but raw should be fine. don't know about redgum though sorry.

If you look under "Building my enclosure" by JasonMini he used laminated wood looks great.

normal timber is fine,don't use treated timber because of the poison involved in the treatment(another reason for avoiding pine board etc.).I have a couple of enclosures built of lacquered ship-lap pine.just make sure you air it properly before putting your reptiles in it

Last edited:
They look fantastic Sniper good work.

You could always put some castors on with a removable skirt around the bottom to cover them up when in place then you could move them around at will.

Thanks mate, I can't take all the credit though. A couple of good friends did help out.

I do like the idea of casters though!

I haven't built one yet but I will be soon. I always wanted to use red gum until I foud out the eucalyptus smell would harm the snakes :( The only one that comes to mind right now is ply wood....not very pretty to look at though! Hope someone else can answer this question for you as I would love to know myself!

I was under the impression that strong scented hardwoods such as red gum could screw around with the snakes ability to discern the direction of scent for hunting its prey item, but with captive bred reptiles who are fed by tongs under the nose, this shouldn't cause any issues. I'm not aware of any health issues which can arise from a natural non toxic hardwood... No expert, but I have built enclosures from various eucalypts with no negative impact on the reptiles health, physical or otherwise.... Anyone else got anything?

Thanks mate, I can't take all the credit though. A couple of good friends did help out.

I do like the idea of casters though!

You would just need to make sure that the fame on the bottom can support the weight without sag but then from what I can see it looks very well build indeed.

Anything I build has castors some of my equipment my mill and table saw weigh about 150kg each and move around with castors with no ill affects.

keep going with the photos!

Any wood needs to be sealed inside the enclosure, so that generally takes care of any smells. Melonite comes already sealed with a plastic covering. Most "real " wood is heavy and needs joining as it is not available in wide sheets.

i painted and varnished over my pine encolosure..inside and out. someone on this forum told me it would be alright as long as i give it at least a week to air out.

Plywood with timber veneer might offer a solution, the veneers, while a little time consuming to apply, are not terrible expensive and can be used to cover large areas and create a very nice look. Once sealed and finished they look great. My two cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back