Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTxPythons12

Reaction score
G'day 6-7 months ago I got my first Python, a Central Carpet Python and I love the guy. Now I have been working towards getting a few more pythons and have a fair bit of cash to spend. I really like the Jungle carpet pythons and the Spotted pythons but the Diamond python is the one I have been wanting to get. I want to hear from you though, which is the next Python I should go with?

Just because you got more "cash to spend" doesnt mean you have to buy more pythons... Personally I would wait a bit longer, but everybody is different :)

I see where you are coming from. On that topic many people have told me this as well. I just thought of getting a second because of how well my first is doing. However I will be sure to give some thought on this, thanks mate.:)

Humans pop out 2 kids a year apart. Why not take on another snake? As long as your husbandry is good and have it all ready, go for it. Its not like the pythons you mentioned are hard to keep at all :)

Go diamond! or MAYBE a really pretty blonde spotted :)

Go for it, if you want another, this is a very addictive hobby.
+1 for the blonde spotted, love mine and will be looking for another soon.

I got my second snake about 5 months after my first. Floyd was doing so well, and I was loving keeping reptiles. I don't regret it at all, my 3 critters (cape york carpet, water python & bluey) are all doing great and I love them to pieces. As mentioned, if your husbandry is all good and you've got the means to set them up with a decent home, there's no reason you shouldn't get another python.

For the first responder, I don't believe the reason the OP wants another python is because they have cash. To me, their cash comment came across more like "I want another critter, and I've got the money for it. Now what?".

JTx, any one of the pythons you've mentioned would be a great second addition :) it comes down to personal preference. Some people shy away from jungles, because they've got a bit of a reputation for being snippy. But most of them (not all, as with any snake) settle down well as they grow up a little (this was true for my brother's gorgeous little jungle, Nyx).

Which ever python you choose, just be sure to look up care sheets and learn very well what their individual requirements are (esp. diamonds). And don't forget.. We REALLY love pics here.. So feel free to plaster the thread with them :D

x

Ive went from no reptiles to 10 in the space of 12 months, mind you 6 of those were geckos. Just make sure you have thought about it and go from there.

Another vote for a blonde spotted, they look great.

Rick

Thanks Skippii I have everything set up perfectly for a new comer and I have done a heap of research on the diamond python already seeing how I did want that species to be my first python, but I plan to do more. The research I came across suggested that the diamond python is not the best pick for a beginner to start off with so I went with the Central and Micth is great python. Ill be sure to post pictures of the Python I buy thanks again.:)

Ill be sure to look into the blonde spotted thanks Rouge.:)

I can't see any reason for not getting another if "as stated earlier" your husbandry is up to scratch, just 1 little word of warning i might put forward.....it is very easy to forget how much time you used to put in with your first snake and it is also very easy to put a lot of extra time into your new snake, having that in mind it does not take much for your first snake to become a little feral if not handled as much as usual, so what i am really saying is don't let your first snake suffer from handling neglect in the excitement of getting another, they are just like kids in that respect :) ..................................Ron

I can't see any reason for not getting another if "as stated earlier" your husbandry is up to scratch, just 1 little word of warning i might put forward.....it is very easy to forget how much time you used to put in with your first snake and it is also very easy to put a lot of extra time into your new snake, having that in mind it does not take much for your first snake to become a little feral if not handled as much as usual, so what i am really saying is don't let your first snake suffer from handling neglect in the excitement of getting another, they are just like kids in that respect :) ..................................Ron
ive actually found the opposite ron , once a snake has settled and become comfortable around humans it takes alot more than not handling it ( apart from the necessary cleaning etc) to make it change its attitude , just my personal experience really but i have snakes here i dont handle anywhere near as much as i did when i first got them and was excited as hell about being able to hold and interact with them , and they haven't changed one bit even after months of being left to their own devices ( as stated earlier apart from the obvious need to remove them for cleaning

My first 2 pythons were Diamonds, and they've had no health issues to speak of. Just make sure they always have a cool side (I make sure my temperature gradient goes down to room temp). In summer, you want them in a cooler room of the house. I make sure I hibernate them for atleast 3 months a year (by only heating for 8 hours a day, they cool down naturally). I can't understand why someone would think they're not a beginner snake.

All that said, I've got no intention of breeding them, and apparently that's when "DPS" is most likely to rear it's ugly head.

dont let the first snake suffer from handling neglect in the excitement of getting another, they are just like kids in that respect :) ..................................Ron

Well on that I had no plans to turn my attention away from my fist python, I love the guy. Don't get me wrong though I thank you for telling me this and everything else you mentioned has been taken in thanks again.:)

- - - Updated - - -

My first 2 pythons were Diamonds, and they've had no health issues to speak of. Just make sure they always have a cool side (I make sure my temperature gradient goes down to room temp). In summer, you want them in a cooler room of the house. I make sure I hibernate them for atleast 3 months a year (by only heating for 8 hours a day, they cool down naturally). I can't understand why someone would think they're not a beginner snake.

All that said, I've got no intention of breeding them, and apparently that's when "DPS" is most likely to rear it's ugly head.

Thanks for the info Ramy it's appreciated.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back