working with animals.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xander

Reaction score
Just wondering who on this forum works with animals or has done in the past?Whats the best and worst part of your job?

I used to do prac work at a veterinary clinic.

Best part of it was learning to give vaccinations and take blood etc, and just everything I learnt in there was pretty useful.

Worst part was having to clean out the kennels all the time, and also I bonded with many of the sick animals that I had to take care of, so when they died it was pretty hard on me:(Oh, and also when I was learning about euthanising animals I had to endure the emotional pain of all the families that were there in the last moments of their pets lives:(And at one time my dog got really sick, she was old so it was sort of expected, so she went to my vet and it was just really painful seeing my own dog in so much pain and seeing her condition deteriorate like that.

Definately not for emotional people.

The worst part about working with animals all week is coming home and working with them all weekend as well LOL

i work in a pet sop the best part is picking up medical tips from the vets, getting to check out all the new animal stuff and getting the pick of the litter. worst part is that its retail, on a dayily basis i deal with some of the sillest questions, about 100 can i cuddle the puppies and have to lecture people older then me on how to be responisble for animals.

I did reptile shows at schools all round australia and found you were with the animals twenty 4 seven. with them all day at schools and all night in the hotel rooms, most were left in there tubs , but every night we would leave a few out to rome the room, to stretch the legs so to speak. as most reptiles come alive at night it can be pretty hard to sleep with 40 odd animals stacked all around the room. althou alot of good memorys were forged over the years, especially by leaving crocs in the bath or shower and the cleaners come into the bathroom to clean. one old duck came out clutching her heart with one hand and trying to light up a cigi with the other shacking hand. i didn't now weather to call the ambo or roll around on the ground in fits of laughter.

im doin work exspearance in the next to weeks coming up, at a reptile, bird, dog shop.... yay, i cant wait

^^ Yeah me too, but I just finished today, The worst part for me was a guy came in very serious about buying a snake, but he didn't know a thing about them, he didn't even know what they eat o_0

i work at a petstore, farm and do volunteer work at a vet. aswell as my own lil zoo at home :)
by far the best part is just experiencing all the different personalities of all the different animals and the feeling you get when u introduce someone to one of the animals and they are estatic about it.
the worst part is when animals do have to be put down for whatever reason. i thought because ive always coped well with the fact that animals DO die and the first few euthanasias were ok id never be effected by the death of an animal. but sometimes you need to just step back and have a break beacuse it does eventually get to you normally when youve had a tough weak or had a bad day.
working with animals is fantastic and there is way more ups than down if you enjoy it.

i work at a petstore, farm and do volunteer work at a vet. aswell as my own lil zoo at home :)
by far the best part is just experiencing all the different personalities of all the different animals and the feeling you get when u introduce someone to one of the animals and they are estatic about it.
the worst part is when animals do have to be put down for whatever reason. i thought because ive always coped well with the fact that animals DO die and the first few euthanasias were ok id never be effected by the death of an animal. but sometimes you need to just step back and have a break beacuse it does eventually get to you normally when youve had a tough weak or had a bad day.
working with animals is fantastic and there is way more ups than down if you enjoy it.

I wouldn't be able to cope with animals dying, I get attached to them too quickly...

I have

During my time at school I worked at the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in North Melbourne.

When I first left school I worked in the Biological Research lab at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne looking after the rats and mice.

I also worked at the Veterinary Research Institute in Parkeville as well. Before changing into a less rewarding career dealing with other kinds of animals.:lol:

I'm a RAAF Security Police Dog Handler. Worst part of my job is.....NIGHT SHIFTS!

Best part would be working with dogs and training them to reach a good standard and some of the people I work with.

I did reptile shows at schools all round australia and found you were with the animals twenty 4 seven. with them all day at schools and all night in the hotel rooms, most were left in there tubs , but every night we would leave a few out to rome the room, to stretch the legs so to speak. as most reptiles come alive at night it can be pretty hard to sleep with 40 odd animals stacked all around the room. althou alot of good memorys were forged over the years, especially by leaving crocs in the bath or shower and the cleaners come into the bathroom to clean. one old duck came out clutching her heart with one hand and trying to light up a cigi with the other shacking hand. i didn't now weather to call the ambo or roll around on the ground in fits of laughter.

That sounds like a great job
teaching kids bout herps,
so they dnt pik up a brown when walkin in the bush
Do u need any employees as im getting bak to in the work force in the next to weeks
and would love to work in this field
Cheers Dan

used to manage a reptile display and do shows at schools, shopping centres, field days etc, the best part is working with the animals, the worst part is dealing with the public.

Bakes

I'm a RAAF Security Police Dog Handler. Worst part of my job is.....NIGHT SHIFTS!

Best part would be working with dogs and training them to reach a good standard and some of the people I work with.

Bakes, are you saying also that you are also training some of the people at work to reach a suitable standard as well?:lol:

hey mate i work as a wildlife vet assistant and i also work with animals at currumbin sanctuary great jobs both of them nothing more rewarding especially the vet when u know u have helped save somthing its just breathtaking

Hey slither, who are you?I work at Currumbin sanctuary as a vet nurse?

I recently (these holidays) started volunteering as a YATZ member at taronga zoo. Its been extremely fun and informative, and I’m doing work experience there in a week cant wait :)

A a matter of fact Shamous....yes! I'm also responsible for the training of my troops.

I'm studying to be a vet, and kick around vet clinics during my holidays. We get to do heaps of prac work with animals, so there is always very very funny times. And some sad ones... But that's life, right?

real responsible, you're good for the industry aren't you. thank god you no longer get your kicks that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back