Worlds first vegetarian spider !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreliaman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 10-12-2009
Source: newscientist.com

Ever wondered what it's like to be a vegetarian at a steak-eating convention? Welcome to the world of Bagheera kiplingi, the only spider that survives mainly on plants.

Go to Original Article

Veg. Spider

Maybe...... Just maybe, that should read 1st... "known"... vegetarian spider....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

I think thats the general implication behind the story anyway solar !!....which is why its says....this is the first case where a spider has been shown to survive on plant matter,...lol

There are a few omnivorous spider species out there, however the only exclusively vegan species known is now extinct... If that isn't insentive to get some meat in your diet I don't know what is!

There are a few omnivorous spider species out there

Id be grateful if you could post some names up of the omnivorous species you know ? I know of some that drink nectar as well as eat insects but thats it ! (which i think is the ones your refering too)
What was the name of the extinct specie ????

This one has been classed as a herbivore .....and every article ive come across claims its the worlds first discovered !?........just a pity this one isnt a 100% vegi eater !!

Last edited:
Yeah I was talking about the nectar drinking species. Not sure which species is the extinct one... I was just chatting to someone who knows their inverts and that's what he told me, so I don't know the details sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back