Worm segment or weird sperm plug

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlaChoodles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I posted about my male carpet losing weight, not eating and having runny poos.
Well twice now I've found this in his poops.
He's been away from the girls about three weeks now and one laid a clutch others gravid. So could it be a sperm plug? It didn't seem like one.
Or do you think its a tapeworm?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363630075702.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363630075702.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 260
Bit hard to tell from the photo, but could very well be a tapeworm segment. Get a broad-spectrum wormer from your vet and dose carefully and see what happens. I had a wild-caught Olive Python when I was a dealer in WA, noticed something similar and dosed it - the mass of tapeworm matter that came out was just disgusting! Tapeworms can get very big and place a lot of strain on the physiology of a snake.

Jamie

That's what I was thinking. I have pancur on the way. But I don't think that treats tapeworms.

Is there a specific Reptile wormer and should you dose regularly (like you would a dog or cat) or only give if you have a problem?

I have a couple of herp. Books and pancur does treat a majority of tapeworms and is pretty safe.
You don't want to treat like you do a dog but you do want to get routine fecal floats done about every six months.
If you feed frozen/ thawed it shouldn't be an issue. As that kills a vast majority of parasites.
However, my poor Guy has been passed around and at one point fed a live chicken from a dirty farm before he came to us

There are a number of suitable wormers for reptiles, but be sure you speak to a reptile vet to get one suitable for you. Don't dose routinely - always use any chemical medication on an "as needed" basis. It's rare for captive reptiles to carry much of a parasite load if they're fed thawed domestic rodents/birds, has your snake been fed any wild-caught food (rats, mice, birds)?

I just had a look in my (rarely used) war chest and found a bottle of a commercial reptile wormer - "Worm-Rid" from Reptile Science which I purchased from a pet store. Had a look on the URS & Herp Shop sites and they don't seem to sell medications any more. Anyway the worm-rid, which I've used successfully, and if it is still made, contains 5g/L praziquantel and 50g/L fenbendazole. You might want to discuss this with a reptile vet.

Jamie

Thanks for the info Jamie. I will definitely do that.
And I'm not sure what he was fed before he came to us. I feed f/t from a reputable rat supplier.
However I do know that the girl who had him before us fed him a live, deformed chick, from a very dirty farm.
I hope he gets over this. He's such a beautiful guy. I know of four people he passed through before ending up with us.
:)

It may be too late, but I would suggest it would be prudent to also pop the object in question into a small sealable container and immerse it in alcohol (metho will do) in order for the vet to examine and identify it.

Blue

[Intitial thoughts... You definitely need to hone those chopstick skills!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back