Would Frogs make a good pet for my sister?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting into herping, but my sister wants new pets too, how easy are frogs to care for and what are some good species for beginners?
I have looked at some on google and have found Tomato frogs, are these legal in australia?

no only Australian reptiles can be kept in Australia and what you can keep varies from state to state. the best begginer frogs would probably be spotted marsh frogs, brown tree frogs or green tree frogs they are all commonly found in pet stores and bred fairly readily. the problem with frogs while husbandry is quite easy it does require alot of cleaning there enclosure must MUST be absolutely clean at all times. also you need a licence in vic to keep green tree frogs i dont know about brisbane youd have to check that out for yourself. go to http://frogs.org.au/arc they have heaps of information on all the frog speiceies in australia and husbandy techniques on most kept as pets. hope this helps
hooglabah

Hi,

I am getting into herping, but my sister wants new pets too, how easy are frogs to care for and what are some good species for beginners?
I have looked at some on google and have found Tomato frogs, are these legal in australia?

Frogs are pretty cool but for young kids i don't think they are that great. Young ones should get pets they can pick up and cuddle etc, something like a blue tongue would be better i think.

Frogs are pretty cool but for young kids i don't think they are that great. Young ones should get pets they can pick up and cuddle etc, something like a blue tongue would be better i think.

I kept on telling her to get a blue tongue, but she said she doesnt like any reptile besides turtles, lol, shes a bit weird.:)

turtles are pretty cool but need alot of space and are again like frogs need alot of cleaning except with turtles they stink and need even more cleaning than frogs do turtles are really really messy. and require alot more care than what alot of people think they do.

Green tree frogs are good for beginners and seem to tolerate some handling. You can buy frogs with the normal licence you get for reptiles in qld.

Hi,

get her a python, then when she doesn't want it, you keep it ;)
maybe show her a beardie hatchy they are soooo cute:D

get her a python, then when she doesn't want it, you keep it ;)
maybe show her a beardie hatchy they are soooo cute:D
Right now I really wish I had a python:cry:

I was getting one, until the lady at the petstore lied to my mum and told them that all snakes are bitey and vicious and when the store's 90cm childrens python wraps around someone, it takes 3 people to get it off.
My mum hates snakes and believed her. :(

Im getting Beardies instead, but I would give the opportunity up for a snake.
Shes seen beardies, says theyre ugly.:shock: shes weird.

I was getting one, until the lady at the petstore lied to my mum and told them that all snakes are bitey and vicious and when the store's 90cm childrens python wraps around someone, it takes 3 people to get it off.

LOL how old is she what about a normal easy pet for her like a cat or dog or a spider there cool and fun to cuddle till they bite you:D:D:D

oh and about your mom u get her to speak to us we can sort her out and u will have a python in no time ;);)

tell your mum to take you to a proper reptile store and speak to someone that know what they are talking about :evil:. yes pythons can and do bite, but if you get a hatchling, it doesn't hurt at all and as long as your quiet and calm with it, handle it a little everday it will make a nice adult. don't get something to big go for a stimpson, spotted or if you want the next size a MD. Pythons are a LOT easier to look after than beardies.:D

hey um the most common species of frog are marsh frogs and they are sold at neally every pet shop (that sells frogs of any sort) they are easy to maintain, dont need a huge enclosure, they dont need heating in the enclosure or lights or anything like that just conditioned water and rocks etc so they can get out of the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back