Would like some friendly advise! NT CARPET PYTHON

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyEmonson

Reaction score
Hi guys n girls!

I have recently purchased my first snake and would just like some help in a few areas please.

So I have bought myself a 6month old NT (Darwin) carpet python
basically I would like to no...

1) I currently have artificial turf down in its enclosure and would like to know weather I could put pebbles in 1/2 of the enclosure? If not would can you recommend?

2) is it okay if I put some artificial plants around inside it's enclosure?

3) should I have a heating mat inside the enclosure? And or heating lamp?

Basically at the moment I have my artificial turf as the flooring, nice cave rock hiding hole, couple of branches for climbing and it's water bowl! But would love to make his home look just as awesome for him as for me!

Im all for new ideas, hints and tips anything really!

Thanks guys! Tony

- - - Updated - - -

LOCATED IN DARWIN

1) I don't know sorry, we use Kritter's Crumble in the coarse variety for substrate. However, I cannot see how it would hurt the python if you do not feed him on the pebbles. Another's input would be valuable in regards to this, as I have no experience with this, my opinion on the matter isn't as valid.

2) Artificial plants are fine, one of our Jungle python's often wraps himself around a plant suspended from the ceiling of the enclosure, as if to ambush his (frozen/thawed) prey. Our Darwin often uses the resin bases of his artificial plants to assist with shedding. If using something with wires inside, ensure there is no exposed tips of the wire as they can break the skin or pierce scales on your snake.

3) If planning to use a heat lamp inside the enclosure, a cage surrounding is necessary to avoid the snake getting a burn. We currently use heat lamps above the enclosure, with wire mesh keeping the snakes from rubbing against the hot bulb. I don't really like the lights however, too many have blown for my liking. We are going to be changing ours to belly heat, by using heat cord on top of a shelf covered with a tile to ensure that A; the heat is distributed evenly and B; that the snake doesn't come into contact with the insulation tape. There are plenty of people who have used heat lamps and greatly prefer them over heat mats or cords, in the end I suppose it is up to personal preference.

I'm sure the snake will thoroughly enjoy exploring his enclosure if you do end up adding some artificial plants. Good luck with the enclosure renovations.

Hey Tony don't need much heating in Darwin
All my snakes don't get heat
Pebbles will be harder to clean but would be fine
Put as many fake plants as you want :)

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Hey Tony, we use fake plants, astro turf and interesting bits of wood we find in the bush. We don't use heating
and have not tried the pebbles, mainly cos it sounds to hard for cleaning.

Thanks heaps guys, didn't think I would need heating but just thought I better double check! Can't wait to get this little oasis underway should keep him pretty happy also intend of having running water through the enclosure and go with the tropical sort of theme. Hopefully he enjoys it.

Thanks heaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back