Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent_Gazeux

Reaction score
So I've just been browsing all the various python breeders website and came a across this little beauty!!! link removed but google Gavin Bedford + Oenpelli python if interested.

I'm sure most of you experienced keepers already know about this but I didn't. Now that I do I must say that if did have a spare 15k to donate I would be all over this.

My question to the board is, how successful do you think Gavin Bedford will be in for-filling his Oenpelli Python dream?

Also, it's quite overwhelming how bad most of the python breeders websites are. :?

Last edited:
Not sure if you're permitted to post that website,

This is a massive oppurtunity to all serious breeders and im sure most of the heavy weights would have contacted gavin personally already.
I would love to keep a yearling but they get far to big so if given the oppurtunity and lets prerent they're as common as a RSP or something i would pass, thats just me

The oppurtunity to be one of the first to own them would be the only thing that would apeal to me as a keeper,

Last edited:
"It seems a few people have a problem with the prices tag, I say bugger off then. The reason the tag is so high is to cover expenses and also I'd say to make sure they go to the right people and not some joe blow I've got a big snake kind of person. It's obvious half of you's complaining about the price have no insight into reptiles as even morphs of common captive species often start at double that. Do your research first before you waste precious oxygen."
The real deal
As much as I kind of agree, I think that's a bit of a pompous attitude, did he go out looking for the elusive snake for the sake of procreation or just to make a quick buck? Ethical breeding always presents soo many grey questions I tend to think I'll stay away from it.

It will be great to lift the numbers though.... if people can afford them & have the brains to breed them which might prove the knife in the back. It always disgusts me people that charge anywhere near or over 10k for a snake, it just doesn't take that much to set up unless your in a commercial operation in which case you will have the numbers to not charge a high one off price, thats how business works. I understand there is alot of work and heartache in breeding, particularly rare specimens but still, in such cases it's meant to be for the purpose of fauna preservation not fiscal stimulus.

I work hard to but don't charge exorbitant rates otherwise I would loose my business. Everyone is getting too greedy these days. As much as I would love one, 5 meters or not, I could buy a car for that... even a brand new one. Unless you were a rich useless so and so with more money than brains and a big show off attitude I don't see him selling many.

And yes, much rarer than an RSP.

Last edited:
assuming they're as common as a RSP or something i would pass, thats just me

They are nowhere near as common. There are about two in known captivity.

Gavin's project is admirable but it will be years before it is even known if they will ever be available to the "common" hobbyist. He first needs to find a pair (I believe he only has two males at the moment) then needs to prove that he can provide suitable conditions to get them to breed in captivity. I think the offer of 15k for the possibility of maybe owning a pair in a few years isn't the right way to go about it. He should just call it what it is (a donation to his research) and have the fact that you may get to own them as secondary. The way it is now, it seems like paying for a promise that nobody can guarantee will be fulfilled.

Which is why i said assuming, sorry it could of been percieved two different ways. Of course i would love to be among one of the first to own a type of python but if they were as common as any other snake they would'nt apeal to me as a keeper.

As much as I kind of agree, I think that's a bit of a pompous attitude, did he go out looking for the elusive snake for the sake of procreation or just to make a quick buck? Ethical breeding always presents soo many grey questions I tend to think I'll stay away from it.

It will be great to lift the numbers though.... if people can afford them & have the brains to breed them which might prove the knife in the back. It always disgusts me people that charge anywhere near or over 10k for a snake, it just doesn't take that much to set up unless your in a commercial operation in which case you will have the numbers to not charge a high one off price, thats how business works. I understand there is alot of work and heartache in breeding, particularly rare specimens but still, in such cases it's meant to be for the purpose of fauna preservation not fiscal stimulus.

This case is special though. The money goes to his research and his expeditions to find the snakes. He doesn't actually own a breeding pair yet (as far as I know) so the costs you are assuming he has don't exist yet. I think he has sunk much more money into the project than he is asking to breed them so, in this particular case, I think your points are a bit invalid/incorrect

fair enough saximus, were all entitled to an opinion and lets face it, you would be more educated than I in regards to snakes lol. Been at it a fair bit longer.

Though my point is, if I wanted to go chasing mermaids, I wouldn't expect people to pay me for siblings before I could breed them.... or found them for that matter. Your previous post was spot on.

As far as I know Gavin only has 1 at the moment and it's a female. I haven't spoken to him in a while so don't know about him finding anymore. I hope to own one eventually.

Last edited:
As far as I know Gavin only has 1 at the moment and it's a female. I haven't spoken to him in a while so don't know about him finding anymore. I hope to own one eventually.

As far as I've heard, which is from more sources than one, he only has males.

As far as I've heard, which is from more sources than one, he only has males.
Quote from this thread post #102 http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ion-42/like-buy-oenpelli-python-170775/page/7
"Hello All, After more time, energy, blood and tears than I care to acknowledge the Oenpelli Project is finally happening. I am delighted to say that a friend and I caught the very first python held legally in private hands at around 11pm on Saturday the 24th of March in the middle of Arnhemland. She is around 2.3 metres and AMAZING in every way. While not possessing the bright gold and black of a Jungle carpet, the broken brown and white pattern of the night colours were sensational. To hold it was like velvet as the scales are soft like a GTP. As many of you will know I am taking a couple of people out looking for them in May and hold high hopes that they will be rewarded with a find like this as well, not to mention seeing some of the most amazing country on the planet. If you want to know more about the trips out to Arnhemland in May 10-13 I still have one vacancy for an intrepid herp tourist. To all those who have helped and who have believed in this project you have my sincere thanks. For me it is a complete honour to work with a magical animal and the Traditional Owners from whose country this animal has come and bring it into the herp world. I hope you will all support this project and let me just say that it is still some way from becoming a breeding reality but Saturday was a huge start. Please feel free to contact me via my web site and I will do my best to respond. (Albino Python - Australia's Amazing Albino Pythons and Snakes | Albino Snakes Pythons Gavin Bedford Darwin Australia)
Cheers
Gavin Bedford"

I know Gavin personally as I went out with him looking for some Oenpelli's you may want to have a look at this thread.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...5373/oenpelli-trip-herping-photos-pic-186614/

I prefer to get the facts from the actual source.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh look a female Oenpelli
7230485946_c198b71ea4_k.jpg

While there may only be two in known captivity, there are a few other illegal animals out there. I believe there might even be an attempted pair/trio however the success is probably similar to everyone elses historical breeding attempts.

Gavin's project is admirable but it will be years before it is even known if they will ever be available to the "common" hobbyist. He first needs to find a pair (I believe he only has two males at the moment) then needs to prove that he can provide suitable conditions to get them to breed in captivity. I think the offer of 15k for the possibility of maybe owning a pair in a few years isn't the right way to go about it. He should just call it what it is (a donation to his research) and have the fact that you may get to own them as secondary. The way it is now, it seems like paying for a promise that nobody can guarantee will be fulfilled.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Gavin Bedford the main reason we now have Kimberly rock monitors in captivity in Australia. If anyone can introduce the oenpeli to our hobby its Gavin of course prices are going to be high to begin with personally if I had 15 grand to burn I would go for it

i hope they do start breeding them so we can keep them in captivity i love the way they look. i would not spend $15,000 on a python just cause its rare in captivity. i'd wait 5-8 years wen alot of people are breeding and they will be selling for under 2,000. just like albino darwins look at what they cost 10 years ago and what they cost now.

just like albino darwins look at what they cost 10 years ago and what they cost now.

What did they cost 10 years ago?

I wouldn't pay 15k for the potential to own them. Once the animals are available I'm sure there will be more takers at a fairly high price. You have to remember how much has gone into this project so far and what it's costing those involved, as has been mentioned, its essentially a donation with prospects to own some if all goes well.

They can't sustain high prices for a long period though so the investors are limited. They're fairly dull animals so the price is in the rarity which won't last...

Peter Krauss bred them years ago, I'm sure they won't be extremely hard to reproduce once the animals are of size/age and settled.

What did they cost 10 years ago?

I wouldn't pay 15k for the potential to own them. Once the animals are available I'm sure there will be more takers at a fairly high price. You have to remember how much has gone into this project so far and what it's costing those involved, as has been mentioned, its essentially a donation with prospects to own some if all goes well.

They can't sustain high prices for a long period though so the investors are limited. They're fairly dull animals so the price is in the rarity which won't last...

Peter Krauss bred them years ago, I'm sure they won't be extremely hard to reproduce once the animals are of size/age and settled.

they cost more than 15k and now you can buy a hatchie for $750.

From sxr... "As I understand the story, she was originally found about sixteen years ago in a caravan park on the outskirts of Darwin. A lady was washing the dishes in her caravan when she looked up and saw a strange little python wrapped around the curtain. The find was reported to the Parks and Wildlife Commission and Blondie was saved to become a resident of the Territory Wildlife Park, about 40 minutes drive south of Darwin. Seven years later Blondie came into my possession to begin a breeding program"
Have albinos been available for ten years?

i have read threads on here dated back to 2003 regarding albino darwin prices thats why i said 10 years. but even if it was 9 years look at the price drop. same goes for albino olives and rough scaled pythons.

wen theirs something new for sale and no one else has it you can put what ever price on it but after 5-8 years wen others are breeding them the price dropes dramatically.

Can you tell me where you could purchase them 10 years ago and how you know they were 15k?

They were only released to the public in 2005 or 2006 from what I remember.

Roughies are similar to how these will be. They're not the prettiest eye catching snake and were never going to sustain the price they were set at in the beginning as the price is in the rarity. The albinos were selling at 5k for a few years.

Albino olives will probably remain above a few k for some years to come as their harder to breed and the market isn't flooded like with carpets. They still fetch 3.5-4k each.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Gavin has a pair suitable for breeding inside of 5 years. Given their size it is unlikely that any offspring will breed for another 3-4 years so it will be a fair bit different to the population explosion of rsps and carpets. I expect that Oenpellis are also intermitent breeders, taking a year or so off between clutches, and so it will be a long time until large numbers are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back