Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ad said:
Here is a wild caught stimsoni.
Not much difference really, in body pattern or colour. After a shed and some captive tlc it would look better again.
We have a lot of native animals which are yet to be developed in line breeding which should produce some stunning animals without cross breeding.
Maybe before going wowwee at all the overseas morphs we should be appreciating our own native animals some more.

Dam straight Ad. Our native snakes look a hell of a lot better then these "designer" snakes. Some of them are nice, but I think our snakes or any snakes for that matter, look nicer the way mother nature intended. If someone here breed some "designer" snakes I would not purchuse any, I would like to see them pure. Thats just my OP.

If someone here breed some "designer" snakes I would not purchuse any, I would like to see them pure

How would you know if it was "naturally" bred or "designer" bred and what is pure? Nature has a way of creating impurities which is why we have different morphs all over the place. IMO

That's the whole point, a designer snake doesn't have to be a cross breed, it just means the snake has been line bred to enhance certain attributes. If you looked at a Bumble Bee BHP it would be fair to think it had been selectively bred in captivity. It's just a case of picking the qualities you like and then selectively breeding to ehance those qualities.

re Wow

Very nice stimsons you have there ad,yeh boa you have the idea hopefully there wouldnt be as much crossing here with subspecies and distantlocal species being bred but it will and is happening already with chondros and plenty of others.It happens with birds everyone wants a particular species and when the price drops they go into various colours etc ime not total against them like blondie the darwin was wild but someone will cross the progeny with something else.It would be good if someone told you about crosses but they are rarely written on wildlife records or presented to a new owner as what they really are.Mostly the mutts are passed on as what they mostly resemble and 99% say they have pure jungles and diamonds. :)

junglemad said:
Nice snake but that grass definitely needs mowing
Dont take the MUTT near my thoroughbred grass jungle,it can go wipe its mutt butt somewhere else. 8)

ad--that is an awesome looking snake..is it one that you caught and kept(legally of course)?

I wish I could save all these threads somewhere to show all them to you 5 years from now!!!! Its easy to say the snakes around are prettier than anything overseas, only because you have never been exposed to them. Go and travel the world and then say that. Great looking snake. By the way Australia has some nice reptiles, and South Africa, South America, Madagascar, Indonesie etc. Just my opinion of course. I appreciate reptiles in any form and shape. Its a pity your laws are so strict that you cant keep any of these beauties.

Its a pity your laws are so strict that you cant keep any of these beauties.

Well as far as I know you can!!! Only the ones that are already in Aus!!! LOL.

P.S I know what you mean, its a pity you can't import these, but just my opinion I think we have fairly good reasons for keeping out exotics, although thats another issue I should leave right there!!!

Exactly, right on the money there. I have travelled the world and I have seen them and I am sorry and I know this may offend some but we have very little at the present time that can compare to what is available overseas so as I said it is our duty to create some of our own :D

Morelia_Hunter said:
I wish I could save all these threads somewhere to show all them to you 5 years from now!!!! Its easy to say the snakes around are prettier than anything overseas, only because you have never been exposed to them. Go and travel the world and then say that. Great looking snake. By the way Australia has some nice reptiles, and South Africa, South America, Madagascar, Indonesie etc. Just my opinion of course. I appreciate reptiles in any form and shape. Its a pity your laws are so strict that you cant keep any of these beauties.

I don't have a problem with selective breeding within species to get morphs. Granite and Jags came from Coastals with out the introduction of other species. That's cool. Similar to Albinos and Hypo's and the BB BHP.
I don't like the idea of crossing say a bredli with a diamond "just to see what happens" or "they might look cool". In my opinion the crosses between Coastals and Diamonds in the wild don't look half as good as a pure coastal or diamond do.
But everone on this board would be as happy as a pig in u know what if they popped out a granite or a black and red BHP or an albino MD etc. And they would charge ten times the amount for the offspring to boot.

But everone on this board would be as happy as a pig in u know what if they popped out a granite or a black and red BHP or an albino MD etc. And they would charge ten times the amount for the offspring to boot.

I'd be happy if I bred a jet black diamond python - actually I'd be happy just to be able to keep any sort of Diamond Python.

Bring on the Morphs - that's the only way we an WA are going to be able to keep any variations of morelia

Sten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back