Writing a YA novel

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Count Von Word, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Count Von Word

Count Von Word New Member

One of my characters is a 14 year old kid living in Esperance (Western Australia) in 1999. What kind of snake would he be likely to own? Preferably native and preferably python type. Is it legal for him to own this snake? TIA

2. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

A South Western Carpet Python but he must have a licence to keep it legally.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Feb 15, 2019, Original Post Date: Feb 15, 2019 ---
    Not sure about WA but 14 may be too young to get a licence so It may have to be in a parents name.

Count Von Word likes this.
  3. Count Von Word

4. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

In 1999 I don't believe it was legal for a 14 year old to keep any type of snake anywhere in WA. I may be wrong.

Count Von Word likes this.
  5. Count Von Word

I can use the snake not being legal as a plot point, so this is helpful, thanks

6. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Cool. If I recall correctly (don't even think about quoting me on this) it was around 2002 that the WA licensing system came in.

And yep, in WA it most likely would have been a Carpet Python.

7. adderboy

adderboy Active Member

The pet keeping system was introduced in 2003 in WA. Before then, it was illegal to keep any reptile unless you had a scientific research or public education display licence, and these were very rare and difficult to obtain. Only about a dozen across the State.

8. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Ah, there you go. I remembered discussing the details of the new WA system in 2002, but couldn't remember whether it was just before or after the new system had come to be. I thought it was one or the other, glad to know I'm not completely crazy just yet.