WTB: Native fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aterese

Not so new Member
Banned
Reaction score
Well I've went past the stage of having a community/discus tank, african tank, guppy tank and now I'm wanting to setup a native tank (4th one).

May or may not add a turtle to it also.

Would be 5ft with great filtration.

This was on an earlier post of mine:

>> Go for some boring native species, Archers, scats, batfish, gobies, gudgeons eg. sleepy cod or purple spotted if you want something that wont get too big. You could also get away with juveniles other larger species such as bara, saratoga, bream and possibly some banded grunters(they can be a bit nasty though).

So what contacts/breeders are there in Gold Coast/Bris for these fish so I can do some more research ?

Try mappin's nursery 99 gap creek rd kenmore hills. They have the best range i have seen anywhere and prices are ok and the fish look fairly healthy.

what's some idea of what I should expect to pay for natives and at what size ?

would they breed themselves if I got pairs, or should I stick to all one sex

which are more aggressive or territorial

which are better for mixed tank

which suit a turtle living with them

....thanks for any help

I would actually avoid buying them, instead catch your own... also frequently non-natives are sold as natives
in pet stores... if your in SEQ theres a range of native fish locally that you can collect legally...
One of the biggest appeals for myself collecting my own is that you can then create a tank that fairly well
represents your chosen collection area... you might be surprised at the diversity in your local area.

Native fish breed very easily, generally as a storm approaches most of the species i had would mate like crazy
but ive never attempted to raise any fry - wasn't ever worth the drama.

Also, if you want a community tank that includes smaller passive species - avoiding grunters and perch would
be a good idea... as well as some of the shrimp that end up a reasonable size can be a problem in my experience.

I was just asking others about this

I back onto a canal at Runaway Bay, Gold Coast.

I have lots of fish (small) under the jetty including butter bream, bream, eels, feeder fish (1000s, no idea what) and others

I've caught them fishing....but then they have been "hooked"

would they recover if I caught that way

otherwise crab nets sometimes gets one harmlessly

would any of them survive if put in tank, including crab....and how do I get them use to freshwater suddenly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back