Yabbie colours? WHITE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, cool it actually mentions white in the colours. Thanks!

Ha ha whats nps? Im dumb to the abbreviatted stuff

Its definantely not a red claw - totally wrong body shape!

I have heard of occassional reports of white yabbies. They are breed all the time over seas where crayfish and yabby keeping is alot more popular as a hobby rather then something you just have.

Baby yabbies usually are a light colour when born. In my experiance they tend to develop colour as they age - i do however hope yours turn out white. That means there will be some more breeding stock available!

Some time around the mid 80s I read an article in an American fish magazine (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) about a white yabby (of course, they don't know what a yabby is and unlike Australians they understand that they are crayfish). They were calling it an albino, although at one point in the article they pointed out that the eyes were black (this was shown in the many pictures) and they questioned what the trait actually was. There was a lenthy article about it, and the planned breeding project, they were quite excited about it and apparently it was very unusual, although I never heard any more about it. Of course, their species are extremely distantly related to ours, but it's interesting to see the same trait popping up in both. The blue ones are quite common, I've seen them all over Victoria and they pop up in shops. It's surprising no one has commercially bred white ones, at least not that I've heard of.

Well ill try anyways, heres hoping there are people in the world that are interested in white yabbies. I see what i can do, give them a while and ill get back to the forum and update whether these bubs are definately white or not.

There would definatly be a market for them. I for example, am trying to work out a way to ship a few of yours to me!

Ha ha. Well i have no idea how shipping aquatic animals would work. If they are in fact white, i will have to sell over the net or something so they dont end up as feeder animals for fish. That would suck.

Hello,
My hubby and I Breed what we throught were blue claw yabbies - although after the first few breeding seasons they started coming through white - The big females still are blue but nearly 1/3 of the little males stay white - the only thing we could think of was the fact they did not get much natural light. - The photo that Pking put up looks nothing like my blues did at all more like your boy but with pale blue on there front nippers

Yeah? Cool, im not alone. Although my fella (girl actually) was just completely white, no othe colours but the eyes. Its name was archy, but didnt suit when -she- had eggs, but will always be known as archy

The bubbies are about 1 and a half cm long now and still white......

Still white. I will post piks soon as i get a decent bright light over the tank.

Thats really cool.. I know my local rep shop has a black yabbie (not for sale), I'd never seen either colour before

Wow, i want a black one... I have some striped ones, but i believe there a totally different species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back