Yabbies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The really blue ones like in the pic above are blue marron.
The destructors can also be very blue but nothing like the solid bright blue of the marron.

I have been keeping them for years and have never known one to catch a healthy fish.

I would really like to get some of the smaller species but havnt ever caught any before.

Yeah, I had a pair of blue marrons a few years ago, but don't know that much about crayfish so thought I was just dupped into buying a normal yabbie kept in clean water till it turned blue.:oops:
Thanks for straightening that out for me, chris, LOL.

I Havent seent them for sale in any T'ville petshops for years now......does anyone round here know of any? :?

I understand that the change of colours in a yabbie are not so much to do with colour of water but with oxygen levels, the higher the oxygen levels the brighter the colour, they range from dirty brown to bright blue, thru to a deep purple at the highest oxygen levels, give it a go you would be amazed dirty water lots of oxygen bright blue yabbies.

CHeers

You can turn yabbies into the bright blue by keeping them in a white clay pond.
I catch quite a few redclaw, they also tend to go bright red, they do stink if you leave them for a few days though.
boconnor, I agree I wouldn't mind some spiny crays.

Whats the best way to oxygenate the water, like supersaturate it, so to speak? Just plenty of airstones, a 'cascade' filter and some plants (with ample light)? You guys have got me all interested in the aquatic stuff again, lol. :)

Whats the best way to oxygenate the water, like supersaturate it, so to speak? Just plenty of airstones, a 'cascade' filter and some plants (with ample light)? You guys have got me all interested in the aquatic stuff again, lol. :)

A decent aquarium filter that will agitate (ripples) the surface is all you need- I use a 500lph hang on back....that's all that airstones do as well, it's not the bubbles in the water but the agitated surface where the oxygen transfer occurs.

Cool, there's a new five foot tank in the house from about chrissy time, so I might have to try and colour up a few crays. Thanks wolfgang.

I got this one today. He is great to watch. Only $8 and around 15cm - 20cm. Looks like his lost a nipper, as the other one is alot bigger.

Attachments

• 100_3093.jpg
    100_3093.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 76
I had a blue maron!! looks stunning!!! great to watch, but he started to eat all my fish so i swapped him for some other fish!

Attachments

• DSC00778.JPG
    DSC00778.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00779.JPG
    DSC00779.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back