Yearling Jungle not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanoCFE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I have a yearling Jungle that I got on the 17th of Dec 2013, he was from a breeder and they said he has been eating well, he had 1 adult mice on the 10th of Dec, that is the last time he has eaten, I know they can go a while without food but now I'm getting worried!!!
Ive tried not handling him, and leaving him to settle, temps are spot on! Ive tried feeding day/night/morning/arvo, I've tried smaller mice as in a hopper, but still no luck?????
Please help, what is my next step, thinking maybe assist feeding???

How big is your yearling? Mine stopped eating earlier this year and it was found he was dehydrated and had RI.

@longi has a trick to give them a bath (closed click clack) in 30% powered solution at enclosure temperate for up to half an hour. I tried this the other day since mine has responded well to antibiotics and he's now smashing rats again.

After not feeding for a while I started him on pinkie mice (tiny!) full of supplements to try and bring his condition up.

Do you have a temp gun? I had been using temp probes and it wasn't until I got an temp gun that I realised my temps were too low.

Hey guys and girls,

I have a yearling Jungle that I got on the 17th of Dec 2013, he was from a breeder and they said he has been eating well, he had 1 adult mice on the 10th of Dec, that is the last time he has eaten, I know they can go a while without food but now I'm getting worried!!!
Ive tried not handling him, and leaving him to settle, temps are spot on! Ive tried feeding day/night/morning/arvo, I've tried smaller mice as in a hopper, but still no luck?????
Please help, what is my next step, thinking maybe assist feeding???
What temps and set up r we talking about actually?

How big is your yearling? Mine stopped eating earlier this year and it was found he was dehydrated and had RI.

@longi has a trick to give them a bath (closed click clack) in 30% powered solution at enclosure temperate for up to half an hour. I tried this the other day since mine has responded well to antibiotics and he's now smashing rats again.

After not feeding for a while I started him on pinkie mice (tiny!) full of supplements to try and bring his condition up.

Do you have a temp gun? I had been using temp probes and it wasn't until I got an temp gun that I realised my temps were too low.

Thanks [MENTION=37955]Lawra[/MENTION] Ill give that a go! Yeah I have a temp gun as well as probes both ends of a click clack set up, temps are 29-31 day and 23-25 night, two hides one at each end and water bowl in the centre, newspaper substrate, click clack is shop one at 16/12/8 inches

Thanks @Lawra Ill give that a go! Yeah I have a temp gun as well as probes both ends of a click clack set up, temps are 29-31 day and 23-25 night, two hides one at each end and water bowl in the centre, newspaper substrate, click clack is shop one at 16/12/8 inches

I'd suggest your temps are not high enough. Bump your hot spot up to 33-34 during the day and even at night for a while until he's feeding well.

Make a hot spot and a cool spot at all times

I'd suggest your temps are not high enough. Bump your hot spot up to 33-34 during the day and even at night for a while until he's feeding well.

I thought the same thing at first as he was always at the hot end, as I had the temps up during January and a fraction lower in Feb, but he is always down the cold end of his tank??? never see him up the hot end at all??? Should I still bump them up you think??? Thanks

[MENTION=36810]DeanoCFE[/MENTION] is it possible to post a pic of your setup? It may help identify any (sometimes very simple) tweaks that could be made.

Regardless of where your snake chooses to hang out, they know what they're doing and where they need to be temperature wise. It is our job to provide them with an appropriate thermal gradient.

Don't forget that you're not watching him 24/7, he could be seeking heat when you're not looking.

Your night temps are way too low. Pythons hunt at night, and whilst your temps might mimic those of the overall environment, they don't take into account the niche temperatures that pythons experience and use - rocks and ground warmed during the day radiate heat at night when the snakes are actively seeking food. One of the reasons we find nocturnal herps on roads at night is that roads absorb a lot of heat during the day and release it at night, and thus provide a comfortable (but dangerous) niche for them to operate in. Your management is way too regimented - you need a warm end at around 32C 24/7, and the cool end needs no control - if it's too cool the snake will move closer to the heat. By controlling EVERYTHING in the enclosure, you're removing all choices the snake can make. Let the snake make some choices on its own.

Jamie

[MENTION=37955]Lawra[/MENTION] ok so I have bumped the temps up to 32C and 31C for night, I'll see how things go for a week and try feeding on the weekend?
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

He hangs out in the big brown hide all day, then emerges out around 7pm each night and sits on top of the same hide all night until around 4:30am when he goes back in the same hide.
Heat cord at the hot end, fresh water every 2nd day.
Is there something I'm missing???
he is around 77g in weight and about 60cm in length.

Your hides assuming the snake is small are more like caves.For hides to serve their purpose they really need to small enough so the snake has to squeeze into them.

I agree with @Ramsayi. Small hides are easy to make from plastic lids or small cardboard boxes - my woma used to hang out in a cigarette box when he was a hatch.

Is there a lid on the click-clack? If so my question is what about ventilation? If not, he may be intimidated by such a large open area with minimal places to hide/move around relatively unseen.

Perhaps also consider buying a hygrometer especially because your water bowl seems to sit close to the heat cord.

--

My yearling is 100g because he has been sick. What does your python look like? Dehydration would be more of a concern now that you've managed to increase temps.

Yes, try feeding in a few days to a week after all enclosure issues are sorted :)

I am currently going through the same thing.

My yearling female jungle has eaten for nearly 3 months. I have the hot spot set to 32 degrees 24/7 and the cool end sits around 24-28 (depending on the weather).

Unfortunately, I live in a rural town, so don't have access to a vet with snake expertise, so can't check for RI.

I've tried many different techniques to get her to eat, including scenting, braining, and even dipping a mouse in warm uncooked scrambled egg; she won't even eat a day old quail. She used to eat reasonably well (have had her for 9 months), though it took her about a month to start eating for me when I first got her, and went off food when I moved her to a slightly larger enclosure, and since moving her back to her smaller one a month ago she still hasn't eaten.

I'm about to try the approach of feeding her pinky mice and pinky rats, to see if it is something to do with the size of the meal.

I guess dehydration could play a role in my case, seeing as I live in an arid area. Though, she shed in one piece, with little effort, close to a week ago.

Thanks for the help and advice guys! I have put in two new small hides that he only just fits inside of! I'll get some more pics tomoz! And I'm going to bath him each day invade he is dehydrated, but was thinking would this not add to his stress? The enclosure has a lid with plenty of ventilation in it, it is a shop brought click clack! Thanks guys

Thanks for the help and advice guys! I have put in two new small hides that he only just fits inside of! I'll get some more pics tomoz! And I'm going to bath him each day invade he is dehydrated, but was thinking would this not add to his stress? The enclosure has a lid with plenty of ventilation in it, it is a shop brought click clack! Thanks guys
All the good help u have received ... I can't c what exactly u r using as the heat source .. Where it is placed and there is always problems with ambient temps when u have a full ventilated lid... Can u plz be more specific regarding your set up

Pete

i just re looked and u have heat cord on 1/3 which is perfect but it would work heaps better if your lid was sealed with about 10 holes low in the cool end and 10/15 holes high in the hot end (I also put a few holes in lid of hot end)... This will cause the air flow to be dragged from the cool end ...the temp floor at the hot end I would fir now start at 32.... Depending where it is in your house then the cool end should read mid 20's.... Also try keep if in a quiet "non traffic" area of the house

Last edited:

I like your enthusiasm :) I wouldn't recommend bathing every day though, that's a bit excessive. I have seen others suggest the feeding methods posted by [MENTION=36566]Barrett[/MENTION].

I'm about to try the approach of feeding her pinky mice and pinky rats, to see if it is something to do with the size of the meal.

I guess dehydration could play a role in my case, seeing as I live in an arid area. Though, she shed in one piece, with little effort, close to a week ago.

I started mine again on pinkie mice then pinkie rats, my fingers crossed for you to find something that works for you. It has been said that good hydration plays a role in good sheds so maybe that's not your issue. Are there any other locals you can see regarding suspected RI? There are a few threads on the forum that outline what symptoms what to look for. There is a FB page called "Reptile Quarantine & Virus Awareness" where you could ask Dr Shane what he thinks, maybe post a video of her behaviour to go with it.

Looks great [MENTION=36810]DeanoCFE[/MENTION] !!!

I hope you disinfected everything before putting it into the enclosure :)

Looking forward to seeing that your jungle has settled down and has a meal!

I think a conventional click clack would be a bit better for keeping heat in than this one with such an open top but it may be ok. The plant and hides look great though mate, a bit of a cannabis plantation look. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a conventional click clack would be a bit better for keeping heat in than this one with such an open top but it may be ok.

I would cut a piece of cardboard to cover the entire lid including the back and side edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back