Yellow Blue Tongue :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded_Lady

Reaction score
Found this big fella wandering around outside. Probably one of the biggest blue tongues I have ever seen and definately the most unusually coloured wild specimen. He looked like he'd had a few unpleasant run ins over the years but all in all was a stunning animal.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 89
It looks great ive seen an increasing number now that its warming up...

That's a cracker, I usually only see the grey ones around my area of Sydney. I've heard there's a lot of yellow/brown ones around Southern Sydney though. Nice find!

We had a greyish brown one in our backyard last week. Unfortunately I was out fishing & missed it, & my wife only got an average pic of it. Haven't seen it since.

That's a cracker, I usually only see the grey ones around my area of Sydney. I've heard there's a lot of yellow/brown ones around Southern Sydney though. Nice find!

We had a greyish brown one in our backyard last week. Unfortunately I was out fishing & missed it, & my wife only got an average pic of it. Haven't seen it since.

Well I live in the Sutherland Shire so that would make sense! He wasnt out today, or at least I didnt see him :(

Well I live in the Sutherland Shire so that would make sense! He wasnt out today, or at least I didnt see him :(

haha, well then it seems the rumours may very well be true about blueys that colour.
Hope yours sticks around for a while.

I think the one that dropped in at our place may have been a fella off looking for love. We have a lot of dog/cat owners in our street, & I live on a 4 lane main road, so I hope it runs the gauntlet of back yards & local streets successfully.

We used to find these alot in the Shire in the 80's and even had a "tame" ( for want of a better word ) one in our backyard for 14 years. We often used to feed her and she would help herself to scraps from the compost heap. One day she just disappeared and hasn't been seen since :(

The problem is that baby blue tongues can't grow up in our suburbs. Cats, dogs, lack of food, poisoned snails and vegetation, lawnmowers and cars kill the young, and eventually the remaining adults. So, no more bluetongues, it's sad, but only one of many species extirpated by suburban human activities.

I also remember when they were very common in the 1980's and earlier. Those yellow coloured ones were the most abundant type in the south of Sydney and the greyer ones less common. I still find yellow ones sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back