Yellow headed beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neven

Reaction score
Hey my juvenile beardie has just shed his skin and has a yellowish tinge to his head.... does this mean he could be a yellow phase/morph bearded dragon?? i hv also heard that sand used as ground can cause death for them... like sand builds up in their gut until it form a undigestable rock in their stomache... is this true???
NeVeN

I have heard this can cause impaction, not from experience though, it's only what I read on a bearded dragon community on the net a while back.
CHeers

Yes neven,
This can happen and you should you should feed your fruit on a little plate so that they eat off plate and not off the sand. And when feeding crickets you can use the tweezers to hold onto them so they dont lunge out at crickets and get any sande in there guts. I am not speeking through experiance but what keepers of beardies have.

Cheers,
Jeremy

If you use a fine grade snad like brickies sand you shouldn't have a problem, make sure it's well washed before using it. If you avoid feeding them on sand you won't have a problem.

Yellow phase vitties start out like any other but show their ture color by about 6 months of age. You could have a "lemon head".

I have used sand in the past with vitties, yellow brickies sand is okay if you wet it and compact it down and it dries really hard, they like to dig and hibernate under it. Its okay if you brush the poop off everyday but can smell so I got rid of it.
I breed yellow/gold vitties and I have had babies show colour from a few weeks of age. Two of my gold girls are always bright yellow whereas my yellows change from grey to yellow. Although I love the golds a lot of people have become obsessed with colour phases and line breeding resulting in weaker animals, they all have lovely personalities, don't stress on the colour.
cheers
meg :mrgreen:

oh k... so using sand is not advisable... what substrate would u recommend?

I would still use sand. But I know people who use butchers paper/newspaper

cant u use pellets or pebbles.... cos they look better than newspapers.. n wont smell as much

BC is breeders choice,It is a kitty litter made of recycled newspaper which can be purchased from most pet shops and mm is morelia man i member of APS

MM is morelia_man and BC is breeders choice. Its recycled paper kitty litter that most people use for their pythons. Soz u didnt understand

NO DAM IT IM NOT ANSWERING THAT LOL :D

lol thanks guys for the translations appreciate it... still getting used to the reptile talk lol oh yeh do u no what it means when a beardy just sits there with its mouth open.. like does it mean it is thirsty.... n when they wave their arm is that a preditory thing or anger thing or wat???

If it sits there gaping then it is probably too hot, they do that to cool down.
The arm waving is usually a submissive thing, if it's done by a female read, "I'm ready big boy", if from a male read, "OK mate, I'm no threat to you". At least thats my translation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back