Yellow Spotted Monitor Temps and Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TOBE, If you take one piece of advice today , its should be this WASH WASH WASH that bite area, i got tagged by my Black headed monitor, and spent a week in hospital with operations as the area became infected badly!! keep doing your thing with him feeding and being around his enclosure, and like Piney said if that tile is raised lower it from the globe, to change the hot spot temp, i think its too hot personally, also more pics mate as i love the Yellow Spotted Monitors :)

Loving the warm temps and sun..
ed5cca0c5c6134cf126423d88a7b42a1.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK

Last edited by a moderator:
So I thought I'd give an update.

Have lowered the tile and the max temp now is about 65-70c (on a hot [38c] day mind you) so when it's not so high an ambient temp it should be lower somewhat.

The funny thing is. I don't think Turok likes Crickets. He ate a couple of stray Roaches and a Weaner Mouse yesterday. Five more large Roaches today (and actually in front of me for once which I was stoked about). I tried a Cricket immediately after the Roaches and he wasn't interested one bit. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? Unless he was just full.

Only thing I can figure is, I'm pretty sure the breeder never fed him Roaches, only Crickets, so I guess that once he got a taste for Roaches Crickets just don't interest him anymore? I honestly prefer this anyway as if any stray Roaches remain in the cage it's much less stress than Crickets (or I would imagine so).

I have washed the bites very thoroughly and don't seem to have any side effects. All cleared up now.
Got some gloves for handling from now on just so I don't have to worry so much.

I'm just wondering about Mice (and to an extent, Rats). I'm pretty sure he could take an Adult Mouse if he wanted to. But is two Adult Mice a week too fattening? (Or when he's a bit bigger two Weaner Rats?). He doesn't seem to have any trouble digesting them.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Murph.

Our guy who is about 18 months old eats every two or three days. He has never had crickets. The breeder fed him pinkies and jellymeat. Since we've had him, we have fed him mice and rats, and chopped chicken necks, as well as occasional chicken hearts.

Just another quick update. Put a few reasonable sized cut up bits of chicken neck in Turoks bowl just before. He's taken two out of the four chunks so far. Every other time I've tried to feed him cut up chicken neck the pieces have always remained.

I'm glad he's finally seems to be eating different sources of food pretty much every day now. I really haven't changed his enclosure at all so I have no idea why other times food has been refused. Has never refused a Mouse though.

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day he'll chow down on his first Adult Mouse.

Edit: Hope I didn't just jinx it.

You can only keep offering food. Our Spencers was a bit hit and miss, but since winter it has been eating like crazy.

So I just fed Turok some Woodies and he's somehow managed to cut himself just in front of his right eye (assuming it was a pieces pf the wood/branch/off cut in his enclosure).

Should I try and clean it or leave him be and it'll heal itself over a while? I mean as it is he was sold to me with a bit of his tail missing anyway and that healed up fine but I thought I'd ask regardless. Thanks guys.

If anything I would check that there are no pieces of whatever it cut itself on in the wound, if not leave it be and just keep an eye (no pun intended) on it.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
nv1pvk.jpg

On a random note I found one of the Dogs barking at this last night (It was crawling up glass sliding door). Was thinking about giving it to Turok, but thought i better check what it actually is first.

Looks like a Christmas beetle. Is/was it a red/orange colour, up to about an inch long?

Similar colour to an Xmas beetle more red/brown though I'd say. But longer and wider than an Adult Woodie. Size alone made me think it's not an Xmas Beetle or it's the biggest one I've ever seen.
debbc0.jpg

Bit better pic hopefully. I let it go anyway just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Nice. How old is yours Murph?
About 18 months old.. not sure of exact date but I have had her this past year and she was 6 to 8 months when I got her.. so much trust with us also [emoji848][emoji38]..
The rule is feed me and bugger off outta my space.. [emoji57]

About 18 months old.. not sure of exact date but I have had her this past year and she was 6 to 8 months when I got her.. so much trust with us also [emoji848][emoji38]..
The rule is feed me and bugger off outta my space.. [emoji57]

lol, a good rule is feed them before you go in the enclosure or wear shoes. Looks like a nice setup :)

This is m the beauty!! In her new winter enclosure.. 4" of sand to dig and fling EVERYWHERE!!! and a lamp to warm up too.. she seems to love it. I am making a hide box to coze up into and retreat from the heat lamp.. but so far i happy.. now to tong feed her [emoji57] we have trust issues
8bded05eadc2997b99b2fab86e26a479.jpg
3581e0d0bbf5a3603d235c8b0bd00d22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back