Yet another betta

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I now refuse to enter a single petstore in fear (or hope?) that I see another type of betta I like.. This is a mustard gas crowntail boy, still pretty young. ate soon after he came home, flares etc and seems quite active and healthy.

3-14.jpg

2-15.jpg

1-20.jpg

8-4.jpg

7-5.jpg

You should ask an aquarium store about the AquaOne betta system. They cost about $250, and hold 12 fish. I'd love one!

nice crowntail, have you seen the dragon type betta? ive also seen some shortfin giant betta in aus and they are nearly 3 times the size of normals.
i got one of those betta system, doesnt come with lids and the betta always jumping out and the metal nozzels get blocked and rust easily, but they look good though.

Nice i got a red and blueish one which is in my tank chasing my angel fish as we speak

OMG he's gorgeous! I must say, i'm so jealous right now lol I've been looking for a betta for about a year now but everywhere i go they only have blues or reds and i've seen hardly any crown tails :(

Personally, the 'betta' systems they sell, I hate. They're tiny, and the fish actually love having larger tanks; mine all swim around checking out their surroundings, when you change ornaments/caves etc they immediately swim over to check etc... I feel bad for two of my boys who are in 10L tanks, vs. the other two that are in a divided 40L tank :)

hn17, I haven't seen a dragon in real life, though the black dragons look pretty awesome from photos!

Thanks Lonewolf :) theres a store up here that gets quite a few decent/nice bettas, though most of their fish are so sick to start with. I recently saw a nice mustard gas boy (similar to this boy posted above) that I bought, he died within 24 hours. The store refused to give a refund, and gave me store credit.. I used that to get a 'pineapple' crowntail boy which died again. this time I went to a different store and bought this boy, who seems to be a sibling of the original mustard gas (same fin shape, same colour etc).

I'll stop rambling now.. I just really like bettas, so much personality and 'spunk' for such a little fish :D I'd LOVE to breed my purple crowntail boy; I've never ever seen another betta like him, even in photos, and he's such a stunning colour in real life.

I've had that happen a few times too. A few years ago i found a cute red normal betta and a blue one and both died within the first few days.

So, i've decided i'm going to hold off buying one which isn't that hard considering the variety down here.. Until, i find a breeder or something and just freight a few good quality ones if i have to. Trouble is finding a breeder though. :(

Pet shops are hopeless. I feel so sorry for the fighters i see when i have moments of weakness and go in. They need heat and do appreciate large tanks. Those tiny ones the pet shops keep them in are quite cruel in my oppinion.

Some pet stores keep them in alright tanks. one store actually has gravel, live plants and about 5L of water in each tank, which is better than the cups etc that others keep them in!

I'd love to try breeding my purple boy, or even one of my others, though I wouldn't want to give them to a petstore to sell, but I don't know where else I could re-home them? its the only thing stopping me from breeding!

Um, advertise on petlink? There's loads of people wanting nice bettas on there! Also there's a few fish sites you could try.. :)

If you got some REALLY pretty ones and freight i'd buy some too lol

I'd like too, but still not sure... what if I couldn't rehome them? it seems as though one betta spawn can produce a lot of fry :)

Maybe go onto a few fish sites and advertise in advance? See who'd be interested and research heaps about breeding.

Yeah, I've started reading up on it :) Its interesting actually, its kind of as if my boys know I may be breeding one of them... today all four boys made bubble nests... Prince > Eb > Casper > Kahn (this new boy). Lol they're timing is impecible really; prince and Eb havent blown nests for aaagges!

I used to breed them.
A really good book to get is the Betta Handbook by Robert J Goldstein. It has info on all of the Betta species not just splendens.
I've kept and bred B splendens, B coccinea and B enisae. Mouthbrooding bettas are really neat to keep - just something different :)

Hehe the boys have been maintaining their nests, and princes has gotten much larger! (he's the purple that I'd like to try breeding). Its quite impressive, and he guards it virtually non stop and always adds more bubbles, its great to watch!

Jumala, which species did you find you preferred? are other betta species hard to get hold of in Australia, and how different are their care requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back