You buy Petrol/diesel frpm BP? You too are part of the BP oil disaster in USA.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more
"According to occupational safety and health administration statistics collected over the past three years, BP has committed 760 egregious, wilful violations at US refineries. Competitors Sunoco and Cunoco-Phillips were next with eight violations each."

Now 3,000,000 Litres of oil are spewing into the ocean each and every day since the explosion over a week ago in the US.

3 million litres per day!

Do you buy fuel?

If so, you are part of the reason why companies such as BP exist.

Sure you dont want BP to not follow guidelines and subsequently cause HUGE disasters killing millions if not billions of sea and land life.
But when you give them money for their fuel without thinking, you are actually endorsing whatever negative actions they took part in to get that fuel to you.

Petition with your pocket, dont buy BP fuel.

In fact hey....dont buy fuel at all...buy a pushbike....but of course thats just craaaazy talk.....

Oil spill dwarfs Exxon, haunts Obama - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The other oil companies must be rubbing their hands together.

Now 3,000,000 Litres of oil are spewing into the ocean each and every day since the explosion over a week ago in the US.

3 million litres per day!

Sorry guys, my bad. I was using worse case scenario stats frpm 29th May.

I was wrong by half.

It is now confirmed that since the disaster over a month ago 6,000,000 litres of oil is spewing into our oceans.

Do you buy fuel?

If so, you are part of the reason why companies such as BP exist.

Sure you dont want BP to not follow guidelines and subsequently cause HUGE disasters killing millions if not billions of sea and land life.
But when you give them money for their fuel without thinking, you are actually endorsing whatever negative actions they took part in to get that fuel to you.

Petition with your pocket, dont buy BP fuel.

In fact hey....dont buy fuel at all...buy a pushbike....but of course thats just craaaazy talk.....

Shouldnt that be, dont buy anything that uses oil in its production, or transportation, or the production or transportation of the tools used to produce or transport it, or that has people making it who use oil in any form, such as buying goods that use oil for their production or transportation, or who buy fuel themselves, or who buy products whose employees use oil in some form (as previously outlined)?

Just trying to make it more realistic :)

I would suggest that before people start talking about boycotting BP OIL and their products they should think about the following.
BP OIL has agreed to pick up the tab for this disaster but it will be years before it is determined just who was responsible. BP did NOT own the dirlling platform, BP did NOT do the drilling, BP did NOT construct or affix the blow out preventer.
This will take years to go through the Courts before a final determination is made.

Another thing to keep in mind, oil companies DO NOT carry insurance to cover these disasters. Who would cover them and how would a premium be calculated. So it's just fine that everyone boycotts BP OIL and maybe it will be as I'm starting to hear from overseas that BP OIL may not survive this.
Should that happen then good old Uncle Sam will end up with the bill, and yes I do have contacts within the oil industry both here and overseas.

Finally, yes it makes a great headline....boycott them, ban them ect.........never let the facts get in the way of a good story.......

Thus they shouldn't have allowed themselves to be involved in oil production with companies that have poor work practices. And I couldn't give a toss if they go under to be honest.

But it would be a shame for the 5000 people employed just in this country, not counting the rest of the world.

Thus they shouldn't have allowed themselves to be involved in oil production with companies that have poor work practices. And I couldn't give a toss if they go under to be honest.

Given that if by chance you are working than your super fund will own shares in BP OIL so you're right, you couldn't give a toss.
Who has said anything about poor work practices, this could be caused by something as simple as a faulty valve, a couple of bolts not tensioned properly or other simple and silly things. Time will tell, maybe.

Shouldnt that be, dont buy anything that uses oil in its production, or transportation, or the production or transportation of the tools used to produce or transport it, or that has people making it who use oil in any form, such as buying goods that use oil for their production or transportation, or who buy fuel themselves, or who buy products whose employees use oil in some form (as previously outlined)?

Just trying to make it more realistic :)
HA! Yes very very true, and I doubt Earthling or any of the other people in agreeance will do that... but if they are happy up on their hypocritical high horses, good for them.

Reminds me of vegans that eat veggies grown in manure from cattle/pig/chook farms.. but do any of them ensure their vegetables were grown without any fertiliser derived from animal sufering? No.

I've switched to riding a pushbike, and it feels great! I am healthier, and the earth is healthier!

And my super fund is enviro-friendly ;) Aren't I just a regular eco-angel?

HA! Yes very very true, and I doubt Earthling or any of the other people in agreeance will do that... but if they are happy up on their hypocritical high horses, good for them.

Reminds me of vegans that eat veggies grown in manure from cattle/pig/chook farms.. but do any of them ensure their vegetables were grown without any fertiliser derived from animal sufering? No.

Well, you're never going to save the planet with that attitude ;)

It's about everyone pushing themselves to do the most that they can do. If everybody made those changes, you would see the difference.

I don't plan on saving the planet. Don't get me wrong I do my little bits where I can but I think it funny people are so ready to boycott BP by not purchasing fuel but would never be willing to do what Zoojas stated. Same as my parallel with vegans - if they want to be vegan that's fine by me, but they never do it to the full extent which I think is a cop out.

bp_no_spill_sign.jpg

I don't plan on saving the planet. Don't get me wrong I do my little bits where I can but I think it funny people are so ready to boycott BP by not purchasing fuel but would never be willing to do what Zoojas stated. Same as my parallel with vegans - if they want to be vegan that's fine by me, but they never do it to the full extent which I think is a cop out.

So, it's better for everyone to not do anything? All or nothing?

hey dont bring me into this **** fight , i have nothing to do with posting anything other then what iam writing now ...

l hate the multinationals as much as anyone but why stop at BP , what about the human rights violations in Chile , that was Shell wasnt it ? Where was it that Union Carbide killed all those villagers ? l heard a quote on the radio [ RRR ] the other day from some high up lawyer [ might have been from the UN ] who basicly said WHEN THE LAWS PROTECT THE SYSTEM THAT IS KILLING US , IT IS TIME TO BREAK THE LAW .

l hate the multinationals as much as anyone but why stop at BP , what about the human rights violations in Chile , that was Shell wasnt it ? Where was it that Union Carbide killed all those villagers ? l heard a quote on the radio [ RRR ] the other day from some high up lawyer [ might have been from the UN ] who basicly said WHEN THE LAWS PROTECT THE SYSTEM THAT IS KILLING US , IT IS TIME TO BREAK THE LAW .

A fair point, when companies take environmental risks for profit, they should be hit hard if they cause any problems. IMO the government really should be in control to ensure it doesnt happen. Sending BP broke wont really fix anything in the short term, but it will make others more aware of what can happen if things dont go to plan. Im too busy boycotting religous organisations and countries that are over populated to start not buying petrol from somewhere i dont buy petrol from anyway.

Oil is in everything, most, maybe all of the people reading this post are wearing clothes made from oil. Most, maybe all of the people reading this post travelled today in a vehicle powered by all. Most likely, all the people reading this thread ate food today which took oil to produce (tractors which plough the land, harvest crops, etc, are fueled by oil), the food is distributed by ships and trucks which are powered by oil, a lot of the materials around us are made with oil (probably including the keyboard you've just been typing on)... oil is everywhere, without it our civilisation would not exist, and if it disappeared tomorrow almost everyone in the western world would starve to death. The technology for replacing oil is not yet ready, and despite current efforts to develop the technology, it may not be ready before oil runs out (goodness help us in that scenario!).

Ultimately, the lack of safety comes from the consumers' desire to pay as little as possible for the product. Extra safety requires extra money which needs to be paid for by the consumer (this isn't just when you buy petrol, it's when you buy... pretty much anything at all, literally! It's difficult, almost impossible to find anything which can be purchased and didn't involved oil to produce or get to you). You can boycott BP at the petrol pump if you like (and I notice that people have been, because when I drive around I see the BP stations have slightly cheaper fuel than the others lately, but of course, the vast majority of people don't care, and a 1c drop in price has them all rushing in for their 40c per tank saving!

Oil isn't an optional product for us, it's something which is part of just about every aspect of our lives. You can't boycott it unless you want to sit down and wait to starve. If you don't want to do that, your hands are pretty much tied... although if you want to you can invest in onshore oil production and ride the profits as the industry becomes increasingly profitable over the next 10-20 years due to the inevitably dwindling supply and increasing demand, with a profit margin which will further increase if extra safety measures are enforced on offshore oil production, increasing their production costs and thus oil prices, thus your sale price, but not your production costs! Of course, that would be an evil, capitalistic way of thinking, right?

However you look at it, let's hope we don't see another disaster like this one.

However you look at it, let's hope we don't see another disaster like this one.

Exactly why this cant be treated soflty, i have little doubt worse will happen. Apart from that how dare you question an emotionally based issue with rational thought :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back