Young EWD aggression

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ebonza

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just as I think I'm getting a handle on Herping, another learning opportunity arises!

APS regulars might have seen my other posts about my 2 new male (1yr old-ish) EWD's. 1st week was magnificent. Both settled, feeding well in the shared enclosure (4x2x2 ft). One is more assertive/forward with hand feeding woodies/fruit etc. The other needs more privacy.

The shyer EWD is a bit thinner and tends to stay in the water (questionable behaviour) so I decided to separate it for about 30mins to make sure it got a good feed. I want them to stay roughly the same weight/size. Job done, I put him back.

Then I noticed the more assertive male chasing and attacking when I was out of sight.

I know this happens with a lot of species but is it best to separate them just let the pecking order establish. My real issue is that the underdog EWD has striking features and I don't want to loose him. What's the likely outcome if I leave them to it?

Some more clues

I should also mention that the more assertive EWD has become very active - foot waving and head bobbing. So, he's staking a claim of some kind - either it's mating behaviour or territorial. I thought this would only occur if a female was around to wind them up.

Panic over!

No idea what that was all about. Both seem to have calmed down now, although the shyer one still takes a lot of effort to feed.

Judging by the lack of advice, I guess it's not that serious unless it goes on for a few days.

It's a bit lonely in this thread! ;) Anyone know any good jokes?

I've got Gippsland Water Dragons and with mine its the smaller one that goes after the bigger one! I think they are just playing around ( well i hope so anyway!) they do that whole head bobbing hand waving thing too.
I've had them for about a year and both are healthy and well so i think its just a case of the smaller one must be the boss of the tank :)

I know this is a very late reply, but omg Noooo...! never put 2 males together, its not natural! Lol they hate eachother. males EWDs are very territorial and will fight til the other one dies of stress and anorexia or getting injured! It gets the worst when they are 3 years old and up. Do some research, its waaaay better to separate 2 males! Whats the story with them now?? Its been over a year since u posted this so yeah lol. Please tell me they are separated and OK!

BTW, they look female. One does more than the other, but honestly, I think you're mistaken and have 2 females!

M.

I am surprised that no-one responded when first posted. As mayamaya pointed out, male water dragons are territorial. As they mature they become less tolerant of other males near them. The head bobbing and arm waving is related to establishing dominance, similar to the use of these by male bearded dragons. If the submissive male is unable to visually get away from the dominant male, it can become stressed to the point where it will eventually die. Male water dragons have been known to engage in physical combat, with biting and scratching of the head and neck while trying to overbalance the opponent. In nature, the vanquished male would move on. In the confines of an enclosure, however, this is not possible and my result in repeated attacks resulting serious injury. Females and young (especially) are much more tolerant of their own kind.

Like Zachthefrog says, that is a brilliant looking setup for EWD.

Blue

BLOODY GOOD ENCLOSURE ebonza Jeeeeeeeez i want mine to have that setup if i get any
Agreed, I think we should have more pics of it. I'm interested in seeing what happened to these dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back