young EWD enclosure next to window, bad idea?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayamaya

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Are young EWDs more scared being by the window + adapting to new bigger enclosure?

Very random topic, but for people who have ideas or experience with young lizards/reptiles, preferrably the skittish/shy little eastern water dragons(Anything really would be great), it would be great if you could help!

So I have a young little EWD, not sure of the age.. around 5-6months I think. And I was wondering if people ever put their enclosures by the window for the lizard to have a good outside view. Do they like this? I've had it like this for a long time, and the view is basically of the front yard with birds, minimal people passing by and the occasional cars driving by. Is this good for them or does this stress them seeing potential preditors and huge fast objects like cars? lol. I always get confused with this. I always think if the curtains in the room are wide open for him to view outside, with bright daylight lightening up the room a bit he would be happy and if they were to be closed that he might get depressed or something?

He has a 26watt UV lamp at the hot end of the enclosure so it IS a little light inside the enclosure (not as bright as broad daylight of course but still normal enclosure level light's brightness) but Ive noticed that even when Im not in the same room as him in the day, sometimes he can spend a whole day hidden in his fern or in the more open hot end under the UV but laying low on the rocks or buried in the bark substrate, not up higher in the sticks or vines. Or swimming (just defecates in there when he needs to, but never spends time swimming around much). EWDs are swimmers and he has a big pool with rocks in it that i replace daily and vines/sticks to climb around on like a normal arboreal reptile, but hes hardly up there or in the pool swimming. Even on the random days where he can stay hidden inside the big plant on the cooler side, sometimes I'll come back at about 11pm to see him on the hot side hunting etc. Then when I left the UV til 11pm one night, he was there basking! So maybe he likes the curtains shut? :\

Soo basically what I'm asking is, should I be less paranoid about not being able to see out the window? And see if thats the reason hes laying low even while no ones in the room and the house is quiet? Because I have a feeling he may feel threatened by the things he may see out there. I just want him to feel safe and be able to do whatever he wants!

Also, I forgot to mention. between a month or 2 ago when I upgraded my EWD into a bigger enclosure with more space and a bigger pool, etc. He became WAY more shy! It was so weird, like before he would sit on his little stick basking for ages in the day, and even spending more time in the smaller pool which he couldnt swim around in, but still just sit inside and go to the bottom without being seen etc., and even walk around upside-down clinging on the net at the top of the enclosure just for fun. He now does NONE of that hardly anywhere near as much as he did in the smaller one! So weird... I really dont know what to do? The smaller one was so much crappier :\ with just a cold end to sleep in under a tunnel of giant leaves, a much smaller pool just sitting in the middle between both sides, then on the hot side a few rocks with a stick above it under the UV light... Is there a problem with the bigger one? its basically the same just less crowded, more spacious to run around with everything enlarged and the light is higher (since the enclosures bigger and taller) and a thick layer of bark substrate. I dont get it, do they get attached to their first baby enclosures, does it take a while to get used to the new ones, or what? The smaller one was a window view also, just a little less of it (down lower and not AS much), and not as high up to see all the things he sees now. Ahh I dont know, hes just acting different in the new one! Im worried. I cant work out which part of the bigger better enclosure he doesnt like.... Maybe its the intimidating outside view since hes higher up now? Maybe he likes it to be crowded with more plants and less big open floor space? Ahh I dont know, its my first reptile so Ive never experienced this kind of thing of them being scared or shyer than before etc.

Has anyone else ever been confused with this type of thing? Where do you keep YOUR reptiles? what kind of view do they have, etc?
Do they just take a while to fully adapt to their new larger setups with all the space? All your answers are much appreciated and will take all your ideas into consideration.
Thanks for reading this long essay lol, M. :|

Last edited:
Hi momo93- i have never known a EWD not to be shy !!!

i have EWD and even by large male while he rules the roost he still at times can be very shy !!!

they are a lizard that never settles completely unlike Beardies which can get tame EWD dont i have 3 Adults and 5 - 7 month olds and its a struggle with them one female wants nothing to do with me at all ( adults ) the male and other female are friendly and you can handle them but just will never settle !!
i noticed with mine i had a smaller enclosure were they would all eat well and sun at the same time now since giving them the enclosure of thier dreams they dont seem to like it that much ( eat alot less ) and dont sun bake altogethier any more but there old tank so way to small and only a temp measure so its wierd !!!

i know they are social animals love to know whats going on around them always looking and studying there enviroment i dont know about being near the window it may make him / her a little edgie seening birds fly past they have great eyesight and EWD are pray by everything and this mite make him a little insecure in his enviro

behaviour wise i'm not really warranted to say anything, but on your setup you might wanna keep checks on the temps if the window is sun exposed, as it may affect the internal temps of your enclosure

kman - haha yeah, I know theyre all really cautious all the time lol but yeah it just worries me a bit when he looks like hes not settled or comfortable - I just want him to be happy in there with all the new space! Haha. Im thinking they just take a while to adapt to new bigger enclosures and may feel intimidated or something, then they just get attached to it (like the small one) and maybe might take a while to like the bigger one too. Im not giving in and letting him go back to the small one though, he's completely grown out of it by now o_O lol I just hope that later when I get the huge 610x915x1216mm(WxLxH) enclosure, he'll be happy with that! lol. because right now he acts like a terrestrial lizard.. a really lazy sleepy one >_> (because hes too scared to come out of his hides recently)

kenny- yeah theres no sun rays coming through the window this season, so the temps are always the same when i test them (around 21 cold end, & around 40 at the hottest edge of the hot end, then medium gradiant through the middle) so yeah. I think its really just the long time EWDs may take to adapt to things!

Anyway thanks for your answers :) they were helpful, less stressing about it now.. he'll settle in his own time I guess.
Maya

EWD's are a very wary lizard, even as full grown adults. Any unusual noise or movement in their environment and they will quickly scuttle towards safety. If it is a major disturbance, they will go full tilt deep into their hiding places. Those cut off from their normal spot will often dive into nearby water and swim quite a few metres submerged and stay that way for 30 minutes or more. Others may re-emerge 10 or more metres further up or down stream, depending.

Young water dragons tend to live in loose groups, away from the adults. They prefer areas with lots of smallish boulders bordered by thick undergrown or a substantial watercourse or both. They are very vulnerable to predators when young and seldom venture far from cover. They do not like to be exposed in wide open spaces as makes them feel vulnerable.

It sounds to me like your little one is stressed by the more open nature of the new enclosure. You could try adding more visual barriers to make two separate areas, one around the basing light the other around the water. Plants, log lengths, fake rocks and the like. As for a “room with a view”, I would say it would probably feel more secure without it. If you think about the usual view they would get at ground level in nature – rocks, logs / branches, shrubbery and water. Try covering that side of the enclosure for a week using a sheet or towel to block the view. See if that makes a difference. If you have an all glass terrarium, you can also try blocking off an additional side or two with a piece of cardboard sticky taped in place. Again, give it a week and see what happens.

You are correct. Reptiles often do need time to readjust to new surroundings. It is therefore advisable to keep disturbance to a minimum for at least the first week while they explore and learn about their new surrounds.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back