Young Snake feeding trouble

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowfoxpika2

Reaction score
Hi I have a young spotted python who doesnt seem to want to eat.
It was been a week and I have offered it a pinky and at first it freaked out and like ran away after a while of biting it for a while but not swollowing or anything I have tired for the last hour almost and I have given up it just wont eat it.
Should I just try tomorrow? or what should I do for her to eat it.
She is like a few months old around 25 to 30 cm and I am feeding her pinkys

Your having a bed run atm with the beardie and your spotted!! My spotted smashes his food so I dont really have much experience with snakes not eating but I think you might need to give some more details like: when was last feed? feeding records? last shed? Dont think its too much of a problem to not take a feed, just keeping trying every couple of days. You can also try squashing the head a bit to get the brain matter out, hopefully he'll take it then! good luck

whats the temps? how long you had it for? was the pinkie mouse fully thawed and warm? make sure you give it a week or so without touching it for it to settle in

Its been a week,they can go without food for months.Just leave it be with little to none disburbance,except change water-paper,warm a pinky in warm water and offer the Spotted after dark.Make sure the temperature is around 30-32c in the warm end.What size cage is it in.DONT handle until its feeding on a regurlar basis for you.Who did you buy it from,have you spoken to them.Was it feeding before you purchased it..So many questions with little information provided..

What are the exact temps on the hot and cold ends ?
What sized tub ?
Are you handling it ?
Are you heating 24/7 ?

Temps should be 31-33 hot end , room temp cold end , no handling just leave it alone , make sure food item is nice and warm when offering ... if these are ok just wait a few more days and try again.

[FONT=&quot]
What are the exact temps on the hot and cold ends ?
What sized tub ?
Are you handling it ?
Are you heating 24/7 ?
Temps should be 31-33 hot end , room temp cold end , no handling just leave it alone , make sure food item is nice and warm when offering ... if these are ok just wait a few more days and try again.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Tub size : 30 (width) x 2O (lenght) x 15 height.
I havednt handled it in a couple of days I only handled it to clean out the cage.
Yeah heat mat on 24/7 around 29 C where it is and the rest is room tempt.
And yeah I havent handled it in at least 5 days and the pinky was warm and dry etc.
So I should just try in a few days?
And I think it might be the heating thats wrong it doesnt seem warm enought, Should I use a heat lamp or a higher watted heat mat?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
whats the temps? how long you had it for? was the pinkie mouse fully thawed and warm? make sure you give it a week or so without touching it for it to settle in
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have had it for two weeks now, I believe it was fully thawed out and warm, and I didnt touch it the first week I have handled it a bit tho to move stuff in the enclourse. I think it might be the heating its not hot enough Should i buy a higher watted heat mat or use a heat lamp?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Its been a week,they can go without food for months.Just leave it be with little to none disburbance,except change water-paper,warm a pinky in warm water and offer the Spotted after dark.Make sure the temperature is around 30-32c in the warm end.What size cage is it in.DONT handle until its feeding on a regurlar basis for you.Who did you buy it from,have you spoken to them.Was it feeding before you purchased it..So many questions with little information provided..
[/FONT]
Right I shall leave it alone for a while, the pinky was warm and ready and around 7 or 8 would be okay to offer or later do you think?

Cage size is [FONT=&quot]30 (width) x 2O (lenght) x 15 height. The person I bought it off said something small would be better for it. My big tank for it is like 1m long so Im keeping it in the smaller tank for a while what size should it be for when I move it to the bigger tank? And the person I bought it off said it was feeding well and had shed once or twice I think I cant contact them I dont have a number only a licence number and. And he said it had eaten the day before he brought them (it was at an expo I got it)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I think it might be the heating its not hot enough Should i buy a higher watted heat mat or use a heat lamp?[/FONT]
Sorry I hope that cleared it up a bit I didnt know what you guys needed to know
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I would up the heat a few degrees , i keep my hatchlings at around 31-33 degrees on the hot spot .
Is this the snake your holding in your avatar pic ? if so then stop doing stuff like that till its eating well for you ;)
Don't panic yet , just wait a few days and try again , wait till its dark and quiet and offer a nice warm pink mouse.

I wouldn't do that,Just yet you may just find yourself hunting garden skinks every time you want to feed it. What is the wattage of your heat matt and how are you using it. I wouldn't think you would need to get a higher wattage mat for a hatchie. Try placing your hide over the heat mat.

Last edited:
if your running the heat matt off a thermostat, try moving the thermometer probe away from the heat source. thats what i had to do when mine wasnt keeping the enclosure at a regular 30-32 and it worked great

with the pinky get a small garden skink and rub it on the pinky that usully does the trick

DEFIANTLY no need scenting at a early stage,maybe if it hasnt eaten for months,even then its a last resource,besides assist feeding.Temperature is very important and NO handling until its eating on a regurlar basis.Once he-she starts you shouldnt have any issues,until then let it be.

with the pinky get a small garden skink and rub it on the pinky that usully does the trick

This is really bad advice imo , if it was feeding on unscented when you brought it then scenting it will just make life even harder for you .... as others said DO NOT scent it with any thing.

I would up the heat a few degrees , i keep my hatchlings at around 31-33 degrees on the hot spot .
Is this the snake your holding in your avatar pic ? if so then stop doing stuff like that till its eating well for you ;)
Don't panic yet , just wait a few days and try again , wait till its dark and quiet and offer a nice warm pink mouse.
haha the picture was just me moving it from the tank to clean and my sister took it on her phone lol but I will try and get the temps up a bit more thanks

I wouldn't do that,Just yet you may just find yourself hunting garden skinks every time you want to feed it. What is the wattage of your heat matt and how are you using it. I wouldn't think you would need to get a higher wattage mat for a hatchie. Try placing your hide over the heat mat.
I have the hide over the heat matt I only have a 5 watt one because thats what the person said when I bought it to use =/ should I be using a different one?

Also when offering it the thawed out unfrozen pinky, dab the nose on kitchen paper towel so that there is not droplets of hot water on it's nose, then offer. Pinky does not have to be dry.

Pinkys also get cold quick, so keep dipping it in the hot water to keep it warm.
How do you thaw the pinky out? In just HOT TAP water I hope and not boiling water. Leave for at least 4 mins until it is thawed through properly as they can detect if it is still cold inside.

Like Dicky said, temps should be 31-33.

Does it have an inbuilt thermostat? and what is the enclosure made from? Is the mat in direct contact with the bottom of the enclosure? Try and post a photo of your setup. If your using a click clack that has ridges on the bottom it could be preventing heat transfer

Also when offering it the thawed out unfrozen pinky, dab the nose on kitchen paper towel so that there is not droplets of hot water on it's nose, then offer. Pinky does not have to be dry.

Pinkys also get cold quick, so keep dipping it in the hot water to keep it warm.
How do you thaw the pinky out? In just HOT TAP water I hope and not boiling water. Leave for at least 4 mins until it is thawed through properly as they can detect if it is still cold inside.

Like Dicky said, temps should be 31-33.
Yeah I think its just the tempt mines only like 29 I gotta heat it up more
and yeah I used hot tap water I will try the only drying the nose

Does it have an inbuilt thermostat? and what is the enclosure made from? Is the mat in direct contact with the bottom of the enclosure? Try and post a photo of your setup. If your using a click clack that has ridges on the bottom it could be preventing heat transfer

Its not a click clack its like a specially made little plastic contantier I hopefully the pictures come through

Attachments

• P2270005.jpg
    P2270005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 61
Ok first thing i would do is remove what ever you have on the bottom , replace it with a few pieces of plain paper towel , they love to hide under it and you may find the heat transfers better.
Maybe find a darker / quieter spot to keep it too.

Place a hide in both ends.Until there feeding i would place somewhere a little more private,IMO the little is STRESSED from being in a unfamiliar place with too much light(next to window).Or maybe place a towel so its darker.Just leave alone for a few days-week and offer a nice warm pinky..

Ok first thing i would do is remove what ever you have on the bottom , replace it with a few pieces of plain paper towel , they love to hide under it and you may find the heat transfers better.
Maybe find a darker / quieter spot to keep it too.

That spot is the quietest Im the only one who goes in my room and replace it with paper towel you say? is that okay with a heat matt?
Place a hide in both ends.Until there feeding i would place somewhere a little more private,IMO the little is STRESSED from being in a unfamiliar place with too much light(next to window).Or maybe place a towel so its darker.Just leave alone for a few days-week and offer a nice warm pinky..

I can cover it with something to make it darker. and two hides? can do and yeah I will offer it one sometime this week

Yep spotteds love hiding under paper towel , and if the heat is only at 31-33 its fine .
Keep an eye on the heat or sun coming through the window , snakes over heat and die very quickly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back