Young Wild Blue Tongue Injury - Assistance Pls?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonandtoni

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
No experience with blue tongues - the bloody cat brought a young one in last night.
Has small ding on its head and a tiny bit of blood on its ear.
It was stressed big time. I put Flamazine on it's injuries and placed it in a spare hatchling tub with clean paper and a hide.
He survived the night and has a tiny bit of what seems to be clear fluid coming from his damaged ear.
Its defecated in the tub too.
Shall I keep him a little longer, apply more flamazine, put some water in the tub and keep him warm and dark for another day or so to see how he goes?
I figure trying to look after him isn't much different from an injured snake?
Or, is anyone here on the Sunny Coast with BT experience able to take him on and make sure he's fully recovered prior to release?

If not, I'll relocate him away from around here - its about 6 inches long and aside from being picked up by a cat, looks to be in really good condition.
Appreciate any advice.

Simon

Likely he will be fine, it certainly wouldnt hurt him to keep him a few days, offer a small water bowl and some tasty food, (wet dog food, or boilded egg.) I wouldnt put anymore flamazine on him id let it dry out. there is a tonne of bacteria in a cats mouth so its not impossible that het might get in infection but blueys are pretty dam tough, and most of the time they go fine.

If there is fluid coming from the ear then there is a perforation. Any infection will therefore probably spread to the mouth and eyes. Keep an eye on this for a couple of days. If the eyes start to sink in that means there is swelling in the cranium and you will need antibiotics.

Peter,

Will the perforation heal by itself? Will the bluey be able to hear properly?

It's not my rescue, but I am curious.

Bad ending.
He didn't make it through the night.
I did all I could to help him and he looked ok in the afternoon, but not so flash when I put some egg in late evening.
Damn cats.
Not happy.

yes would be great if you kept the cats indoors to minimise the amount of killing they do. no matter how much we domesticate cats they will always have the killer instinct.

poor bluey

Take it easy SimonandToni, I thought they were very easy on you...Two people saying "It would be great if you could turn your kitty into a house cat....etc" and a link.
Not too harsh methinks.
Be that as it may, accidents happen and cat damage is often very hard to see both in injured reptiles and birds, due to their fine teeth.
The injured prey usually cark it from punctured organs and toxoplasmosis and rarely survive... although I have had a few Green Tree snakes survive somehow.
As you say.damned cats..but they do what they have been programmed to do for millions of years...the prevention is up to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back