Your opinion on python strength??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I would be interested in peoples opinions on how capable they think native pythons are in being able to asphixiate an adult human. I'm particularily interested in asphyxiation as a result of preventing ones chest from expanding. Strangulation of the neck I would imagine would be quite easy under certain conditions, but have often wondered if "our" pythons would be capable of hindering the diaphragm. For the sake of discussion, lets pretend freakish 20ft plus scrubs dont exist. This is a serious question based on safety, as most literature on the subject involves the exotic giants.

Cheers,

I had a young, not quite adult skinny Carpet coild around my wrist the otherday, it was, erm, interesting trying to remove it...

i had my old yearling olive squeeze my arm so tight my hand went red with veins popping out and so on.

I have no doubt that a python of around 2.5 to 3.0 metres could kill by constriction of the chest. You may remember my old friend Mustang, I had a few demonstrations of his strength and all I can say is that it made me respect him! On one occasion he coiled around my wrist with his tail section and hooked his head around the tree in his enclosure, there was no way I could stop him dragging my hand/arm into his enclosure and pressing it tightly to the tree! I woke up to him after that and rarely handled him if I was at home alone. These babies are STRONG!

I, personally, wouldn't go handling anything over 8 to 9 ft long without another person being there. Especially with heavy girthed snakes such as olives. They are extremely stron and would have no problems asphixiating someone.;

Although extremely rare it has happened in the USA, a large boid , a retic from memory, constricted a mans head(Neck) whilst he was sleeping. I have no doubt he awoke before his eventual demise.
That's one example that I remember hearing about, there are a few more.

I believe that a large olive could have the size and weight is do the same, however it would have to be a large barroni to constrict the chest without the person being able to remove it, that said a child or small frail adult could also in theory be in danger from a standard large olive.

As far as Scrubs go, they are large and strong, and could do the neck or diaphram of a child for sure, a large 20 ' individual , although not carrying the weight of the Olive, is still a formidable snake, and you as an adult would have to give it respect to.

Why do you ask Olivehydra?

Cheers Neil

I tend to think of them as mostly one big muscle controlled by a very small brain.

Nothing over 2 meters gets wrapped around my neck and I am wary when picking them up even those I know are extremely tame. Once picked up and aware that they are being held there is rarely a problem.

NCHERPS said:
Although extremely rare it has happened in the USA, a large boid , a retic from memory, constricted a mans head(Neck) whilst he was sleeping. I have no doubt he awoke before his eventual demise.

I believe that a large olive could have the size and weight is do the same, however it would have to be a large barroni to constrict the chest without the person being able to remove it, that said a child or small frail adult could also in theory be in danger from a standard large olive.

As far as Scrubs go, they are large and strong, and could do the neck or diaphram of a child for sure, a large 20 ' individual , although not carrying the weight of the Olive, is still a formidable snake, and you as an adult would have to give it respect to.

Cheers Neil

G'day Neil,
From what I've read, I believe the US alone has on average one death per year as a result of constriction. My interest is purely from a safety aspect of husbandry techniques. As stated, most literature relates to very big boids such as retics, burms and green anacondas. I too feel that ones neck is a vunerable point, but have often wondered how big a snake would need to be to dispatch an adult human whose neck and face is not being "hugged".

Cheers.

olivehydra said:
NCHERPS said:

Cheers Neil

G'day Neil,
From what I've read, I believe the US alone has on average one death per year as a result of constriction. My interest is purely from a safety aspect of husbandry techniques. As stated, most literature relates to very big boids such as retics, burms and green anacondas. I too feel that ones neck is a vunerable point, but have often wondered how big a snake would need to be to dispatch an adult human whose neck and face is not being "hugged".

Cheers.

There was a case not too long ago in SA where they thought that a guy had been constricted by a large scrub that was loose in his appartment, but I think it was actually a case of the press making more out of it than the reality and was almost certainly false, but I didn't hear the results from the PM so don't know for sure.

As you have stated, it is something that happens alot in the US, although when put in context of how many people keep large boids in the US, that figure is not that surprising.
Too many people don't follow the simple rules when working with large constrictors, they tend to think that because they are non venomous, they aren't dangerous.
In many states in the US large constrictors are either banned or heavily licensed like the Vens for just such reasons.
In Europe a few countries have banned the keeping of certain species like retic's or anaconda's, in the UK they were talking about putting them onto the 'Dangerous wild animals act licence' along with the venomous snakes.

A friend in the UK who used to keep large green anaconda's, always made it a rule that he would not even feed or replenish water in his snakes cage unless another person was there, just in case. There were a couple of occasions where they were needed, but only a couple in decades of keeping them.

Olivehydra, How big and heavy are your Olives ?
I have a few scrubs that I hope will reach a good size, but the weight doesn't seem to be as much as an issue as with the Olives.

The other thing that you need to consider is that these large constrictors also have huge teeth, especially the scrubs, and if a large say 12+ footer bit you in the wrong place(Say on your wrist where an arterial vein was), held on and threw a few coils around your limb, then it could be serious, just another reason to have another person there when handling them.

Now, who want's to buy a young scrubbie, I have a couple for sale. LOL!

Cheers Neil

I've heard that too. While being grabbed by a large aussie python, I don't think a healthy adult would get killed. Scared half to death yes. A 15 kilo animal would make a very large snake in Oz Yes? Pitting 15 kg against 70 odd kilos would be a hard meal.

I am basing this on personal opinion rather than experience or factual cases though. I think if it came down to a life or death situation unless grabbed in an unlucky posture (arms pinned down and can't use legs) the person should win I think.
Cheers.

Neil,
My olives are only biggish, (10 -11 ft and the heaviest is 14kg). They are incredibly strong when they want though. I do work with them alone though but usually let them "walk" into their holding bags when cleaning. As for your offer of a scrubbie, no thanks :wink: I only have one scrubbie (just a babe) and am already fast running out of space :D.

olivehydra said:
Neil,
My olives are only biggish, (10 -11 ft and the heaviest is 14kg). They are incredibly strong when they want though. I do work with them alone though but usually let them "walk" into their holding bags when cleaning. As for your offer of a scrubbie, no thanks :wink: I only have one scrubbie (just a babe) and am already fast running out of space :D.

Tim at URS has a huge Olive, can't remember the length, but it was probably around 13' + and weighed 30-35 kilo's, and it didn't appear obese or fat, just solid.
I reckon yours have a bit of growing to do.

Having worked with both Olives and scrubbies, I would have to say that I would trust an Olive before the scrub, but personally am a great fan of the scrubbies, they appear to be very alert, intelligent snakes.

Cheers Neil

It is probably not valid to just compare weight of person verses python. As I stated earlier a python is mostly one big muscle. Humans on the other hand are made up of lots of smaller muscles, bone, brain gut etc. Small human hands can quite happily strangle another human and the muscles involved are nothing compared to what a python has at its disposal.

Kilo for kilo, constrictors are one of the strongest vertabites on the planet. You cannot compare their weight to say a humans. I have no doubt that Tims massive Olive(at say a skepitcal 30kg's :roll:sorry Tim ) would easily be as strong as a 100kg adult humam male.

As for the SA death last year. I was adviced that the Scrub did in fact constrict the keeper and cause the death. This python is now being held at the ARP and when measured was only just over 14ft.

bigguy said:
Kilo for kilo, constrictors are one of the strongest vertabites on the planet. You cannot compare their weight to say a humans. I have no doubt that Tims massive Olive(at say a skepitcal 30kg's :roll:sorry Tim ) would easily be as strong as a 100kg adult humam male.

As for the SA death last year. I was adviced that the Scrub did in fact constrict the keeper and cause the death. This python is now being held at the ARP and when measured was only just over 14ft.

That would make it the first reported case in Australia? Sad story, I believe he was quite involved with the CSL?

So the scrubbie did get him. Olivehydra there is your answer.

For the life or death bit. How willing would most people be to injure their pet to get it off them? If I had both arms pinned down and I was standing and thinking I was going to the big herp shop in the sky. I would be bashing into walls trying to convince my pet that it had a tough meal. Maybe that wouldn't be enough, good thing I'm a 90 kilo bloke and my biggest python is no more than 3-4 kilo at absolute most.

Hehe on a sinister thought. Is an animal worth twice as much if it has killed somebody?

Pick the movie reference there................

I presume the scrubbie would not be resold after that. A dog would have been put down.

munkee said:
So the scrubbie did get him. Olivehydra there is your answer.

For the life or death bit. How willing would most people be to injure their pet to get it off them? If I had both arms pinned down and I was standing and thinking I was going to the big herp shop in the sky. I would be bashing into walls trying to convince my pet that it had a tough meal. Maybe that wouldn't be enough, good thing I'm a 90 kilo bloke and my biggest python is no more than 3-4 kilo at absolute most.

I'm not one to usually gossip (about serious things anyway), but the news reports I saw about that incident suggested that alcohol may have been involved, and that the snake was allowed free range within the house??

Many folk who keep big boids OS have safety measures in place that include having a sharp knife or pruning blades just in case, although a second person would more than likely be required to use them.

herptrader said:
INothing over 2 meters gets wrapped around my neck and I am wary when picking them up even those I know are extremely tame.

Yes I was surprised, and not that I'm Irwin bagging or anything, to see Steve Irwin recently with a green anaconda, which incidently was so large he was struggling with it, draped around his neck. Standby crew, photographers, whatever - if it put the squeeze on even mildly it would have taken his head off. Looked very foolhardy :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back