Your opinions on Exo Terra products.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done some research on them for a GTP display, and they seem to be great for display purpose. The only problems i found with them is the mesh at the top seems to be there only fault.
Price wise, if you shop around there not that expensive.

The mesh isn't a problem( even though they have or are upgrading it to heavier gauge steel) it's the plastic support through the guts if the lid, if u don't place ur basking lamp properly or it gets moved and is over that middle strut it will melt and sag, 2 out of 4 of my exo terras have had this happen, but then again they still look n work fine.

Hey, I have a couple of chondros in them and have cut some black corflute to partially cover the top, you can cut t to neatly fit on top of the mesh. This enables me to keep the humidity up. BTW the mesh tops are available as a replacement part if you melt one.
The Exo Terra units 'are' dearer as they have been designed/built from the 'ground up' with the features they have, most/all other units on the market are from a couple of factories and are then simply 'badged'.

The sad thing is, due to people, like many in this thread, complaining about the price tag, Exo Terra tanks are becoming harder and harder to find in pet shops as they won't restock them for fear they won't get sold. Granted there are some that still stock a wide range of them, but they are disappearing fast from a majority of them.

The last 30x30x45 I bought I went to at least 8 shops and called a couple dozen more, only to have to offer full price ($150) to a pet shop for a display one that had some scorpions in it as a last resort...

The most common (glass) tanks I see in pet shops nowadays are the Reptile One branded ones, which I would never keep anything in to be honest.

You get what you pay for.
They are well constructed and have replacement parts available for most sized enclosures.
The swinging doors are far more user friendly than the sliding doors of counterparts especially in smaller enclosures.

The sad thing is, due to people, like many in this thread, complaining about the price tag, Exo Terra tanks are becoming harder and harder to find in pet shops as they won't restock them for fear they won't get sold. Granted there are some that still stock a wide range of them, but they are disappearing fast from a majority of them.

Amazing amazon here in melbourne has possibly the best range and prices.

I love them. I love the all mesh tops for ventilation and also so i can put the basking spot where i need it. I can't get enough. The foam backgrounds are useless if you keep anything that needs to be fed insects.

Cool that's exactly what I'm putting in an Exo terra, how big do the Velvets get?

For most arboreal geckos and small skinks they are the best things on the market IMO. I also keep Pygopods and gts in them.

If anyone has tried to keep Delma tincta in an enclosure you will know why the exo Terra's are so good. They can get out of pretty much anything else.

I love them. I love the all mesh tops for ventilation and also so i can put the basking spot where i need it. I can't get enough. The foam backgrounds are useless if you keep anything that needs to be fed insects.

Agreed, the foam backgrounds are horrible and the only thing I hate about the Exo's. I use the substrate to block the holes at the bottom and paper towel to block the ones at the top.

If you have no need to ever get behind the background then you can silicon them in place and seal all of the edges. A small amount of peat, sand or gravel over the wet silicon will help it blend in. I tend to use black silicon for this as it gives a better look IMO. A razor blade will remove the silicon if you ever want to get them out.

The gaps in the background are for running wiring to electrical equipment in the enclosure and I find them good if this is what you need.

I used to work for a company building public aquariums and enclosures for wildlife parks so can make pretty much make anything I need. Hell i can turn your backyard into an enclosure if you wish. Some enclosures we constructed are bigger than most backyards.
I tend not to make my own though as i find the backgrounds easy to use and functional within reason.

For some critters I remove them, for others I leave them in.

If you have no need to ever get behind the background then you can silicon them in place and seal all of the edges. A small amount of peat, sand or gravel over the wet silicon will help it blend in. I tend to use black silicon for this as it gives a better look IMO. A razor blade will remove the silicon if you ever want to get them out.

The gaps in the background are for running wiring to electrical equipment in the enclosure and I find them good if this is what you need.

I used to work for a company building public aquariums and enclosures for wildlife parks so can make pretty much make anything I need. Hell i can turn your backyard into an enclosure if you wish. Some enclosures we constructed are bigger than most backyards.
I tend not to make my own though as i find the backgrounds easy to use and functional within reason.

For some critters I remove them, for others I leave them in.

You teach us to make big enclosures backgrounds ?

Plenty of tutorials and how-to guides online, Marzy. I recommend joining some vivarium and/or dart frog forums.

Agreed, the foam backgrounds are horrible and the only thing I hate about the Exo's.

In the past, I've cut up the foam back grounds, gluing 2 pieces together & made "rock ledges" out of them for my frogs.

Although it gets expensive, some of the Universal Rock backrounds also look great in them

Can't fault exo terra enclosures at all, have purchased 9 all second hand. I use universal rock backgrounds to cover back and sides. I buy it in large flat sheets from SA distributer and cut to size then fit using acrilic caulk water based and non toxic. Cost around $80 per enclosure and they look great.

Where is a good place to get these enclosures at decent prices? I have always used click clicks in the past but am now looking for display enclosures. Don't plan on keeping big snakes and live in a unit so don't have space for 3-4 ft tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back