Your thoughts, Darwin snake visits my sister

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchstone

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My sister in Darwin has just messaged me: she has found a 3 m long shedding ontop of her fence. She also has said she remembers cleaning poop from inside her shed about 3 - 4 days ago and her back patio a few weeks back, she thought nothin of it thinking was the dog and wondering why he had pooped in the shed. The shed ceiling is fencing mesh.
I advised her to call the local snake guy, but, personally I think she is a lucky girl and has a resident python. What to others think?

if she has kids call the guy.don't take chances when kids are about.probably is just a python,but a stitch in time saves nine later.

The fact that the skin was on top of the fence and the skin is reportedly 3 metres long suggests that it's a python or colubrid.

Has she still got access to the skin? We can most probably I.D it from the skin if she really wants to know.
She'll have to answer some questions about the scales or post a good photo of a section for us though.

3m would normally say definitely python but shed skins are easily stretched and therefore cannot be relied upon to provide an accurate estimate of the snake’s length.
Get your sister to check the head of the shed skin – are there are lots of small irregular scales = python, or large, regular scales, evenly paired either side of the head = elapid or colubrid. It doesn't sound like an elapid in terms of the shed being on top of the fence but it depend on the fence - height, width, accessibility. If the fence was your normal, skinny fence 1.5 to 2 m off the ground, it would be either python or Brown Tree.

Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back