Your thoughts on canned insects?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on canned insects were? I'm talking about the exo-terra ones.

They can be a bit tricky to get your lizards to eat them cos they don't move.
If you feed them by tongs it's fine but they won't have the good gut content like a live cricket thats just been fed vegies or gut load.

i jiggle them around and my female takes them, saves me some live insect problems

They're what the exoterra 'vibrating food bowl' was designed for. Dust them with gut load, put em in the vibrating dish and they work. I prefer
live, but there you go.

Expensive compared to live, nourishing insects produced locally in Australia. Dusting live insects, particularly gut loaded ones is best and even better if you can supplement with different species, perhaps wild caught insects using a blacklight (but not near areas of insecticide use) from time to time.

I haven't been able to get lizards to take the canned food. Blueys wouldn't eat the snails, and the crickets nd grasshoppers look like plastic toys. The live ones or freshly killed look much more appetizing.

Had my old Frilly eat the grasshoppers, but I had to get the feed response started with live food first.

Awww, frillies are so fun to watch. I did volunteer work at the local wildlife park a few years ago, in the reptile area. Part of my chores was feeding the baby frillies. They were so cute. The only time you see them move is when there is food - cockroaches

MatthewB just a heads up. Be careful making a thread like this asking about a product. I received an infraction for asking the same thing about a product a few days ago. It's seen as advertising.
As for the the tinned food. My lizards have never taken to them and from memory the contents smelt pretty bad,so if you can put up with it! At the end of the day if they eat them then I would say it would be ok every now and then.

Thanks for all the replys.
It's not about getting a feeding response, my lizards don't seemed to fussed, I realise they're not quite as good as the live ones but it's a lot more convenient for my outdoor pit because the live ones tend to escape, making it more expensive in the long run maybe.

Could it be said they're not as nutritionally rich as a live cricket? Supplements aside.

MatthewB just a heads up. Be careful making a thread like this asking about a product. I received an infraction for asking the same thing about a product a few days ago. It's seen as advertising.
As for the the tinned food. My lizards have never taken to them and from memory the contents smelt pretty bad,so if you can put up with it! At the end of the day if they eat them then I would say it would be ok every now and then.

Thanks for the heads up.

And I do have a vivicator, works a treat for the younger lizards.

He hasn't mentioned a brand name, only a product, the same as asking "your thoughts on live insects?" Hope he doesnt get in trouble, this was an informative thread for me, ill stick to pinky mice for my beardy instead of the tinned grasshoppers.

I believe the brand name was in the original post Revell13. I agree it would be a shame if this thread got closed like mine. It's hard when you want to know about a certain product before you outlay your hard earned money for it - but that's all I was doing in my thread as well. Mine was a for a magazine that I was pondering if I should fork out money for a yearly subscription for said magazine. I just wanted to know what other like-wise people's thoughts were on it. It was just a heads up anyway.

Never mind me, I'm a fool, didn't actually read his original post, only the title, my bad.

My old bluey used to shun the snails, which sorta look like chopped mushrooms or something
even the turtles i kept which has a tendency to be less picky took several nips and ignored them after

crickets fared slightly better, its a convenience thing for some people but honestly for the price personally i wouldn't bother

If your worried about feeding them in the pit for escapees, could you feed them in a tank or indoors enclosure? It will help them get more use to more handling too I'd say , if not save you money, or just buy a few boxes of crix and breed some

My beardies love the tinned the silkworms. The other insects they are not so fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back