your veiws on pairs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gozz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
when you buy a pair of snakes as yearlings and pay top dollar for them and they turn out both male what is the go between the breeders and purchasers. Say you dont sex them until they are ready to breed as the person you got them off has years of experience in sexing snakes. Whats your veiws ??????????????????????????????????????????

Morally the seller should do their absolute best to swap the excess male for a female of the same quality/locality/size.

yes well what if you like the 2 males and he dosent have any females of same age and can only give you a female hachie next season but still wants a male back ,and you have put in 18 months to breeding condition and have to wait another 2 years to get a return and when i say top dollar i mean over 2 grand

I would be asking for a partial refund for getting 2 males not a pair, and i would start searching elsewhere for females.

see the thing is i have grown to like both animals as they are both different and i dont want to give one back but iam pissed that i cant get a female of him til next season these animals were good sized yearlings when purshased thats why i didnt sex them my self. Plus i know he has breeding sized females

It's a sticky situation. This is why, even though you shouldn't have to, it's a good idea to always sex new snakes straight away.

If you aren't willing to relinquish on of the males, and he doesn't have any females other then his breeding stock (which is often a breeders lifes work) until next season...what would you deem as a fair resolution?

were u guaranteed a pair?

i've noticed some breeders guarantee pairs and say they will swap if it turns out to be different, most people seem to do their best and its a bit hit and miss.

if you werent guaranteed a pair i'd say its bad luck, if ur after a specific gender always get something sexed independantly when it arrives.

IMO, he should at the very least, give you a female hatchie this season and let you keep both males.

were u guaranteed a pair?

i've noticed some breeders guarantee pairs and say they will swap if it turns out to be different, most people seem to do their best and its a bit hit and miss.

if you werent guaranteed a pair i'd say its bad luck, if ur after a specific gender always get something sexed independantly when it arrives.
at 12 monthes old its pretty hard to miss the sexes you would have prob it 3 times at least to be sure if you spent over 2500 do recond bad luck anyone

If someone sold them as a male and female, if they turn out both male, they are at fault. You purchased with the mindset that you were getting one of each sex to latter breed. I would think if the breeder was wanting to continue selling animals, he/she would reimburse you for their error. Anyone reputable will fix their mistakes, if not, fill us in with the name. I don't want to purchase from someone who has no idea.
If breeders don't do things properly, or work out a reasonable agreement, the reptile keeping community suffers. No-one wants to get involved with a dodgy hobby, people want reliability.

If you pay for a pair,thats what you should get.I understand the connection you have with your snakes and not wanting to swap one back,fair enough.The breeder should offer you a hatchie at a reduced price at the very least.

I have been in this situation a few times, where i have purchased a snakes as a particular sex and have reared them to breeding age then found out it was the opposite sex. In this situation i just cop it on the chin as i have had the snake for a year or more and and believe it is my own silly fault for not checking the sex when i got it. Now days i usually sex the snake when i get it, especially if it is an expensive snake.
However If you are guaranteed a snake is a certain sex or a pair etc, i believe the responsibility lies with the breeder/seller regardless of the time frame you have kept it as they have made a guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back