Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your freshie is going to get rubbery jaws and splayed teeth on a diet of chicken necks. Give it a better basking spot (three or four lights in a row forming a bank, so that it can heat its whole body up) and you'll probably find it's less picky with its food and will take whole animals, such as mice.

Your freshie is going to get rubbery jaws and splayed teeth on a diet of chicken necks. Give it a better basking spot (three or four lights in a row forming a bank, so that it can heat its whole body up) and you'll probably find it's less picky with its food and will take whole animals, such as mice.
thanks for that ill try and get my dad to get some more light in there

snakes are eaten by birds in the wild as well, are you going to go put a predetory bird in there aswell. captive snakes are bred as captive snakes, they are born that way. they start being fed on pre-killed, giving it a live animal is like telling you you have to go out and and hunt your own food with nothing but a sharp stick,

well what do they eat in the wild are you going to make it ilegel for wild snakes to eat live
Umm, do you know what dogs eat in the wild? I sure as hell would not appreciate watching or listening to a sheep, cow, cat or any other animal being ripped apart by my pet. Same goes for rats if you can do it with out fear and pain why would you object to that.
Having said that I think you have some beautiful animals and that your heart is in the right place so keep learning and continue to do the best for your animals and I am sure you will grow up to be a fine man.

The cases of injury of significance to a snake from feeding a live mouse (provided the snake is of appropriate size) is extremely minimal, furthermore pythons are adequately evolved to dispatch mouse prey with relative ease. Its seems to me that there is a growing band of people who seem to exaggerate the risk based on second hand hearsay with little or no hands on experience them selves. As long as you follow some simple logical rules the risk will remain a very rare one. The legality of the practice it is another matter but personally it’s a law that in part I don’t really have huge respect for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back