you've got to be kidding!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This totally sux!

I paid a subscription to sell in the 'for sale' section only to have my thread deleted because... "you are not allowed to sell item's on a commercial basis if you are not a site sponsor" :lol:

I am not a business and only get these items because I have access to them from another business I run (not related). I am not breaking any rules!

Advertising Rules
  1. No unauthorised auctioning or selling of snakes within non "Show and Swap" forums is permitted.
  2. A member has the right to notify others once of his web site (not a discussion forum like APS – see next Rule). They can also have a link their signature. Any further promotion will be counted as advertising and members who do this will have their post deleted and be offered banner ads or site sponsorship.
  3. If a member decides to build their own site with an operating forum similar to APS, any advertising must be discussed with an Administrator and approved first.
  4. Any promotion and advertisement of businesses must be approved by Administrator.
Which rule have I broken? Re rule 2; I don't have, nor am I advertising a site. Re rule 4; There was NO promotion or advertising of a BUSINESS!

So $5 isn't enough, I am told now I have to pay $200 to become a site sponsor? I don't think so...

Why can't I sell my products?

Sorry Nightowl, it has been decided by Admin that the classifieds are only for animals and second hand goods. Any new products than can be purchased from our sponsors can not be advertised privately. This decision was made after a couple of members used the classified section almost like a small business to sell new reptile products over the net.
I'm sure that you are not trying to run a small business through the classified section but it is a blanket rule. You have not been singled out. We are only trying to look after our sponsors because without them, there would be no APS.

thanks for the reply Greebo.

Don't worry about anything regarding refunding the $5, I am selling off a fair bit of my collection in a little while and will be posting 'for sale' ads in here.

PS; maybe there should be an amendment to the rules section stating this?

Yes! If the rules changed then the Rules Section needs to be updated to let everyone know.

Don't worry about anything regarding refunding the $5, I am selling off a fair bit of my collection in a little while and will be posting 'for sale' ads in here.

That is a good point. It should be in the rules. I'll get right on it.
Dave

Hi Mate.
I am pasting here
IMPORTANT Information to Read BEFORE Advertising topic. It is sticky topic in for sale forum on first possition, posted by Grebo and people who like to advertise should read it first.
Please read it and use for sale forum as this instruction below. This instructions are there for more than 3 months now, longer than official subscription time.

Your advertisement in this forum was definitely commercial nature and quantity. All we did is to inform you about this and infraction was not issued, I don't see reason to be concern to much.
If instruction for use of for sale forum is not enough for advertisers, we can add this to site rules. But I think that we have enough rules as it is. If people make mistake like nightowl did, we just let them know in first, and all is fine.
Below is the copy of the sticky from for sale forum.

icon4.gif
IMPORTANT Information to Read BEFORE Advertising
APS requires users to sign up for either a "Seller" or "Subscription" account before they can add items to the For Sale forums. The fees are only nominal ($5 and $10 per 1 and 3 months respectively) and are used to fund servers and license fees for APS. Items sold must not be of a commercial nature or quantity.

If you would like to advertise your items on APS, simply head to http://www.aussiepythons.com/payments.php and sign up for one of these accounts. All you need is a PayPal account (which is very easy to get as long as you have a credit card or bank account).

Once your payment has cleared, you will be able to post new threads in the "For Sale" forums. When placing a reptile for sale in this forum, please include the details below:
  • State *
  • Species Name
    • e.g. Morelia spilota spilota
  • Common Name *
    • e.g. Diamond Python
    • Male, Female or Unknown
  • Length
  • Quantity Available
  • Price *
  • General Description
    • e.g. Good handler, never bitten, nice colours, eating rats, proven breeder, locality, etc.
  • Location *
    • At least have the state you are in although city/town is preferable.
  • Fauna Permit Number (South Australia Only)
    • SA requires that you include your fauna permit number in your ad and APS risks legal sanctions if we don't comply
  • Willingness to Freight
    • Yes/No
  • Contact Details *
    • Phone number, email or private message
  • Photos
    • It is desirable to post a photo(s) of your animal with your advert. This will help you sell your animal quicker as the most common request is for a photo.
* signifies compulsory information.

If you place an advert that does not have the minimum information required, it will be removed by a moderator. Remember, it is in your best interests to provide as much information as possible to improve your chances of selling your animal(s).

Yes! If the rules changed then the Rules Section needs to be updated to let everyone know.

Notification is in sticky first post in for sale forum.
All advertisers should read this before use of this forum.

So can I ask does that mean that he will be getting his $5 back or will APS be keeping that?

Looks to me that nightowl is happy with arrangements. I can't see the reason for you to be concern, since you have free run here on APS.

Um I'm sorry Slateman, I'm a little confused what that has to do with this thread in particular?

explanation to original post of Nightowl about not being informed regarding how to use for sale forum (not to advertise commercial nature or quantity items there.

explanation to original post of Nightowl about not being informed regarding how to use for sale forum (not to advertise commercial nature or quantity items there.
sorry to be a pain, but i don't actually see it written there at all :shock: Well I do see the wording, but there's no premise as to what a commercial nature or quantity entails. I would be very confused by that.

I'm all for people having 'seller' or 'subscription' status, or for businesses to become a 'sponsor', but I think where the problem lies is with the in between. There may be occasions where one can get access to small amounts of new goods (or regularly just one or 2 types of products) to pass onto APS users at a good price and make a couple of $ for themselves, which I am all for - afterall, this isn't a cheap hobby.

The problem I think is the difference between the $5 for a seller, and $200 for a sponsor - maybe some smart cookie in admin could come up with an inbetween, that works.

I think it might in fact be beneficial to APS if they do create this in between and may encourage more people to outlay say $100 for those who wish to sell the odd new product but clearly aren't carrying on a business and making the profit and quantities of say the enclosure builders or online herp shops. An example recently is someone just selling woodies - not exactly a ruthless business, obviously just to earn a couple of $. Admin just needs to create some limits. Also, there are probably some herp breeders with $5 seller accounts, making more profit in breeding season than some of the sponsors do all year.....

Just my ideas........think of all the people that might be chucking big fat juicy $100 notes at you APS???? Tempting?? :)

PS. I'm refering to herp related stuff, not 'non herp related' as I don't think we need to stop those getting rid of excess household goods etc

sorry to be a pain, but i don't actually see it written there at all :shock: Well I do see the wording, but there's no premise as to what a commercial nature or quantity entails. I would be very confused by that.

That is fine Tsiadas.
Commercial nature is when people are selling repeated quantity to profit, like 20 new thermometers, or some electronic Items asking people to ring them to take order.
or advertise their small business with out authorization of administration of this site.
When this happens, we just inform them first time not to do this.
This is not effecting hobbyists who are selling second hand Items or one or 2 products they don't need anymore.
We have to protect our sponsors to be able to pay bills.
Subscribers pay only for about 17% of running costs here.

If we stop doing that, your subscription to use for sale forum would be something like $50 or APS will end.

I am closing this topic now, all is explained and if somebody don't understand, please pm moderators to ask.
Cheers and have a good time on APS site.

Sponsors are so important to this site.

I'm all for people having 'seller' or 'subscription' status, or for businesses to become a 'sponsor', but I think where the problem lies is with the in between. There may be occasions where one can get access to small amounts of new goods (or regularly just one or 2 types of products) to pass onto APS users at a good price and make a couple of $ for themselves, which I am all for - afterall, this isn't a cheap hobby.

The problem I think is the difference between the $5 for a seller, and $200 for a sponsor - maybe some smart cookie in admin could come up with an inbetween, that works.

I think it might in fact be beneficial to APS if they do create this in between and may encourage more people to outlay say $100 for those who wish to sell the odd new product but clearly aren't carrying on a business and making the profit and quantities of say the enclosure builders or online herp shops. An example recently is someone just selling woodies - not exactly a ruthless business, obviously just to earn a couple of $. Admin just needs to create some limits. Also, there are probably some herp breeders with $5 seller accounts, making more profit in breeding season than some of the sponsors do all year.....

Just my ideas........think of all the people that might be chucking big fat juicy $100 notes at you APS???? Tempting?? :)

PS. I'm refering to herp related stuff, not 'non herp related' as I don't think we need to stop those getting rid of excess household goods etc

I understand where you coming from, but there is problem with the sponsors, they will not support us if we do side deals with small operators. We have this going on few occasions and we lost some sponsors. Small operators undercut the market price. There was also problem with faulty items sold.
If the Items are not clashing with our sponsors products, we can always allow this and we do that after seller approach us first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back