Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure jungle zebras, more rubbish. Zebras have been in oz for well over a decade, the morhp comes from IJ carpets.
Funny how in a small handfull of breedings they have become pure jungles. scam.

To be honest the chances of having a pure Zebra Jungle is very, very slim. Prior to them been smuggled into Australia they have been crossed in Europe and America with everything and anything. Unless you personally smuggled the animals into Oz and know their exact lineage from the breeder OS then its not honest to label them pure jungle.

Pure jungle zebras, more rubbish. Zebras have been in oz for well over a decade, the morhp comes from IJ carpets.

The Complete Carpet Python describes it as a Jungle morph. Or is that just a lie?

Last edited:
Fairly confident they originated in pure jungles, it was the granites that come from IJ's. In saying that I would agree with AmazingMorelia in that I wouldn't trust any of the ones in Aus to be pure. Much like I wouldn't believe anyone selling a pure coastal Jag.

It depends on what and who you belive.
Jags were originally supposed to come from a coastal x coastal mating. But it is now undrestood that IJ carpet was the source of the jag gene, not a coastal.

Same sort of story seems to be emerging with the zebras, that the first zebra came from a jungle x IJ carpet.???

Oh to be a fly on the wall.!!!!!!!!!!

The first Zebs originated in pure jungle to jungle pairing, plenty of people have ensured they have been kept pure and of course some people have and will cross them too, its easy to identify crossed ZEBS. Guess I am one of the lucky ones with pure ZEBS and crossed ZEBS...........

Last edited:
barramundi, You dont know that for sure, the first supposed zebra changed hands before it was bred, which adds even more dought.
The animal you posted in this thread dosnt look to be pure jungle to me, there is just something not quite right about its head.??????

The first Zebs originated in pure jungle to jungle pairing, plenty of people have ensured they have been kept pure and of course some people have and will cross them too, its easy to identify crossed ZEBS. Guess I am one of the lucky ones with pure ZEBS and crossed ZEBS...........

If you are convinced there is something wrong with its head send it to me I will take good care of him.............its a stunner:)

Even if they originally were from ij x jungle there are lines that have been bred back to only pure jungles, the fact jungles and IJ's can't be split by DNA, really questions the validity of a pure or not argument and yes these jungle cross back lines are available in Australia.

They cant be split by DNA because the testing is not accurate enough yet thats all.
You could breed IJ carpet x jungle with pure jungles over countless generations and they would never be pure, simple as that, they would always be worthless mongrels.

They cant be split by DNA because the testing is not accurate enough yet thats all.
You could breed IJ carpet x jungle with pure jungles over countless generations and they would never be pure, simple as that, they would always be worthless mongrels.
You are right a 7th generation cross back jungle zebra would only 99.21% jungle and a huge 0.79% ij... All snakes in the hobby hold no conservation value, therefor they are all mongrels in a scientific bases... If they don't have a DNA test that is accurate enough yet how can you be so sure a jungle and ij aren't genetically the snake snake?

Simple, they are different snakes in many different ways not just thru DNA.
Alot of pure snakes in captivity hold conservational value to different levels. A mongrel never will.

I think it's interesting that the morphs which appear overseas periodically, almost without exception, appear on the scene here within a couple of years, and often in the same collections. There must be a standard mechanism for getting these things into the country, which clicks in when negotiations on price and availablity are completed. I guess the potential for swapping high-end Oz species such as rare geckos is there as well. It's all a bit depressing really - another thread on this site is providing excellent discussion on the need for a national body to assist keepers with the obvious failures of the various state legislations to achieve effective conservation outcomes, and on the other hand there are these quite open discussions about the desirability of the latest morphs smuggled in from overseas... Designer snakes are just commodities which bring those who have them early in their development huge profits, nothing more.

Jamie

Wheres your proof, zebra morph is a jungle morph not an IJ morph

I know that but they shouldn't be called zebra jungles but the will be as they will be mixed breed

Soon we will have names like zebra NT jungle costal green tree olive Jag

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple, they are different snakes in many different ways not just thru DNA.
Alot of pure snakes in captivity hold conservational value to different levels. A mongrel never will.
What conservational value does any Morelia sub that is in private hobby collections hold? There are very few 100% pure Morelia subs available in the hobby.

I know that but they shouldn't be called zebra jungles but the will be as they will be mixed breed

Soon we will have names like zebra NT jungle costal green tree olive Jag
If they are a zebra jungle they will be call zebra jungles, if they are a coastal cross they will be called a coastal zebra, if its a caramel or albino zebra they will be called that. If it is a coastal cross jungle zeb that doesn't carry the zebra gene it will be called a jungle coastal cross same way jag sibs are.... I think all the keyboard warriors need to get a new argument as this was all spoken about when jags went public. If you want a pure locality animal and it means that much to you, you will go to a breeder that breeds known pure animals. If you want a carpet python that looks like a jungle you will buy an animal that looks the way you want and if you want a morph you will go to a breeder that breeds morphs. Just as much effort is put in finding morphs with known genes ect as a pure locality animal to make sure you are getting what you want and not being ripped off. They are here to stay so build a bridge....

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did i think this was about Zebra skinned carpets? duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back