Zookeepers baffled by mysterious critter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Australis

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
2209_creature_china_lg_sp.jpg

A furry orange-and brown spotted critter with protruding red eyes is baffling zookeepers in China after it was handed in to them by an anonymous man.

Zookeepers from the city of Wenling have not been able to identify the creature and now believe they may have stumbled across a new type of monkey or possum, Daily Mail reports.

The rat-like animal has a marbled tortoise-shell coloured fur with pointy paws and a bushy tail.

The zoo said the animal measures about 25cm in length and liked to eat grass.

Wenling Zoo manager Wang Gang told news website SINA zoologists had not been able to identify the creature.

"I have consulted animal experts from Hanghou, Shanghai and Wenzhou, but right now no one is able to tell me what this little creature is called, " Mr Wang said.

Keepers have said they will continue to monitor the animal's development in the hope that it may grow into something more recognisable.

Another article claimed the zoo keepers thought it might be a squirrel or small rat! come on :lol: I wonder if maybe this is just a zoo trying to get some local exposure, and the media might of latched on... and Chinese whispers began (pun intended).

I'm not sure who is worse the zoo for not knowing or the media for not researching before publishing an article. It is pretty darn obvious what it is even though I have never seen one in real life. I do wonder how it ended up in China????

Hahaha. The closest they can call it is a squirrel or rat? They even suggested monkey. That's pathetic for so-called 'zoologists'. Maybe they should research marsupials a bit better.

It looks like a Cuscus to me.. i wouldn't be too harsh on the Zookeepers.
But... if they were waiting for it to grow to help ID it lol :s .. feeding it on squirrel food :lol:

Cuscus.jpg

Cuscus - Cuscus Habitat

Last edited:
this might sound dumb but do people keep these guys as pets?

and Chanel 9 has the most popular news broadcast... its a scary world

Sure will... might even put two bread slices on you ingie ;) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back