Zookeepers baffled by mysterious critter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha. The closest they can call it is a squirrel or rat? They even suggested monkey. That's pathetic for so-called 'zoologists'. Maybe they should research marsupials a bit better.

They're not zoologists, they're animal keepers, both very different ;)

They're not zoologists, they're animal keepers, both very different ;)
Wenling Zoo manager Wang Gang told news website SINA zoologists had not been able to identify the creature.
"I have consulted animal experts from Hanghou, Shanghai and Wenzhou, but right now no one is able to tell me what this little creature is called, " Mr Wang said.

Animal keepers may not be zoologists, but the zoologists they consulted are claiming to be zoologists. I'm sure the 'animal experts' could have done a better job too. ;)

looks like Spilocuscus maculatus spp

cosocs.jpg
dv325090.jpg

Last edited:
Keepers have said they will continue to monitor the animal's development in the hope that it may grow into something more recognisable.

they think its a pokemon and its gonna transform!! LOL

pokemon ? no way!
it is clearly a mogwai! some one should tell them not to get it wet or feed it after midnight

So who's gonna email these zoologist guys and let them in on the big secret? Gotta say it's pretty cute :)

Having worked in a zoo in China for a while I have a bit of an understanding as to why this has happened.

The zoo in question is in a small city. As far as zoos go it would equate to a very small animal park here in Australia.

Zoos are run by the local governments in China and the staff that work at the zoos are government staff. They may have no knowledge or even interest in animals, it is just a government job like any other.

Some of the other cities mentioned do have some 'qualified' staff as far as animal husbandry and veterinary qualifications but not what we would know as zoologists or even zoo keepers.

As far as where the animal would have come from it would have been the illegal pet trade. It would likely have come over the border in the south of China from another south east Asian country or perhaps even Hong Kong. It is quite amazing what shows up in street markets in that part of the world.

Google is often blocked in China so they may not have been an avenue open to them although a quick search on their comparison sina.com should have enabled them to actually identify the mystery creature. In that respect that are probably no different to government workers in many other countries of the world.

Hahaha. The closest they can call it is a squirrel or rat? They even suggested monkey. That's pathetic for so-called 'zoologists'. Maybe they should research marsupials a bit better.

They were trying to ID it by taste :) "hhmmm its a bit like monkey"

I can understand them not being able to narrow down a species. I mean if you've never seen a picture or heard of a Cuscus then it's difficult. But monkey, or rat? A zoologist should be able to narrow it down better than that. Anyone not getting to the marsupial level is probably not qualified.

does anyone know if these guys are kept as pets? have seen one article saying great pets and one saying a big no no lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back