Zoologists/zookeepers, etc. Education info please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

Reaction score
Well it looks like my high school life is almost up and as such time to start forwarding uni/tafe aps, so anyone who has/is/beginning to go to uni/tafe for an animal related career (keeper, park officer, zoologist, etc) could you please post the various courses, grades you had to get it, and any relevant info. Personally the outline in the UAC book gives me as much understanding as a Korean noodle packet :p

i have no idea about park officer... but i know a bit about keeping. the main thing is experience. knowledge of herp husbandry and venomous experience are essential. .. thats if u'd like to work in the herp section. Theres a 2 year zookeeping course held at ultimo tafe, this isnt a pre-requisit for a keeping job tho, its more for promotion to a higher position

If youre seriously considering a keeping position volunteer somewhere. you get an idea of what its really like and gain experience.

zoologist=uni. this doesnt mean you'll be a working in a zoo tho. your far more likely to end up consulting somewhere or in the field depending on which area you choose to major in

Yeah Ive done a bit of work at ARP and planning on starting back up there soon. At the moment I'm moreso looking at the wider view of whats possible before settling, though park or field sounds good to me either way.

Jay,

As someone who has B.Sc with a Zoology Major, I would strongly recommend anyone that has an interest in wildlife and science - and is accepted into uni - to do something similar. The work is very different to school, and if you do a Science degree (or an Arts degree with lots of science subjects) you should come out at the the end thinking like a scientist. This can be beneficial in your work later in life (example: I currently work as a foods inspector - nothing to do with zoology - and I've used the knowledge I gained at uni to analyse data statistically and predict trends and volumes of imports, and last week did some mathematical modelling in relation to our sampling/testing regime. Impressed myself because until then the only modelling I had done was the Starship Enterprise about 15 years ago).

The TAFE Certificate in Zookeeping is not essential for working in the field. If you are employed by Taronga and haven't done the course, you'll be employed on the understanding that you will commence it the next year. Speak to ARP management and see if they think it worthwhile doing it. When I did it some years ago the ARP students were a little miffed it was concentrating almost entirely on Taronga, and had only a small reptile component. If you are interested in things other than herps and plan to be a zookeeper then this course would be very worthwhile.

Once you have your Cetificate in Zookeeping or a Uni degree, there are three courses offered by Charles Sturt Uni as distance subjects: the Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Master of Vertebrate Management. I haven't done these courses but friends from Taronga have and say it is pretty good. The Masters course has 'Captive Reptilian Management' as one of the final year courses
http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/pg/sci/gd_cvm/

The ASZK website has a list of zoo keeper related courses at
http://www.aszk.org.au/Links - Keeper Training & Education.htm

If you're interested in working in a zoo or wildlife park then, as Basketcase has already said, volunteering is very important as hands-on experience cannot be taught. It also gives the facility a chance to see you in action.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back