Zoology: career counselling needed, please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Renenet, did you end up deciding on a course? In QLD or VIC? I am curious to know what you end up deciding on, as l am also seriously considering doing a science degree as a mature age student. I will be applying to study Bachelor of Science in Wildlife and Conservation Biology next year at Deakin University, in Burwood, Melbourne. This course is apparently very hands on with lots of field trips and wildlife related subject matter. It has always been my dream to work with wildlife and l kind of regretted dropping out of a Biological Science degree when l was younger. So l thought if l don't try now, I'll never do it :)

Hi Zoogirl,

If you want to do that course, absolutely go for it. I've decided on QLD, and Far North QLD at that! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to study zoology in the tropics. I've applied to do a General Science degree at James Cook Cairns, with a view to transferring to zoology once I have all the necessary prerequisites. (Someone didn't study science and maths in Year 12 and probably wouldn't remember much even if they had.) I'm going to have to study part time - I guess you will too?

I've started a group called Zoologists on APS. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it or where it's going to go, but you are welcome to join, as is anyone else with an interest in zoology or a related field.

That's great Renenet, you're going to QLD, I'm jealous lol! I'd consider QLD too but l have two kids to think about and can't really move them just so l can study. Yes, have decided on the course at Deakin and will be doing it part time if l get in. Filling out all the necessary paperwork this week. I'm very excited but a tad bit nervous about it all!

Hi ya

Usually if you have an undergraduate degree (3 years) you can usually do a shorter version of the first 3 years in a 12 month course and then go on to a fourth year...at least thats what happened to me with my Psychology degree....so effectively I did 4 years in 2 years (mind you it took me a lot longer because i crawled through at a snails pace). It was hard going because they expected me to hit the ground running and just said things to me like...write that up in a laboratory report when I had never written a lab report in my life !!

The courses generally will tell you if there are consessions for previous study in the course guide but if not write a letter to the course coordinator with your results and the course you want to do and ask if your previous learning would give you any Recogition of Prior Learning or RPL against the course you want to do. They will very quickly tell you your entry point into the course.

Elizabeth

Hi Zoogirl,

If you want to do that course, absolutely go for it. I've decided on QLD, and Far North QLD at that! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to study zoology in the tropics. I've applied to do a General Science degree at James Cook Cairns,

So when are you starting?

So when are you starting?

I think the intense maths bridging course begins in late January or early February (although I might get that done beforehand). That's assuming I get accepted into the degree, but I don't think I have any real worries there.

Right now I'm concentrating on the big move, which will probably be in November. Very exciting and a little scary.

Filling out all the necessary paperwork this week. I'm very excited but a tad bit nervous about it all!

Good luck to us both!

Quick update: I've been accepted into the Bachelor of Science (General) at JCU. Once I've successfully completed the bridging courses I can transfer to zoology.

I'm heading up to Cairns in almost exactly two weeks. So exciting - with a dollop of "gulp!"

Renenet

Quick update: I've been accepted into the Bachelor of Science (General) at JCU. Once I've successfully completed the bridging courses I can transfer to zoology.

I'm heading up to Cairns in almost exactly two weeks. So exciting - with a dollop of "gulp!"

Renenet

I read through whole thread, and I was also thinking about Zoology. Even though I'm still in school (Yr 11). What's this talk of lack of jobs? What jobs are available? I suppose their not very high-paying.

MathewB,

I think jobs that require "pure" zoology are very rare. It's not something that worries me; at this stage I'm doing the course for interest's sake. I have to say that I am considering doing a double major, taking on something else that interests me that's more likely to get me a job, such as environmental science. You could do something similar. But since I'm doing the degree part-time, that's not a decision I have to worry about just yet.

Employment prospects is a good thing to research. The pay, in my opinion at least, is not so important. I'd much rather make a living from something I'm passionate about than something I detest. For example, I'd probably make a good programmer, and the pay would be great, but I know the job would drive me up the wall.:)

Depnds what you want to do exactly as to whether jobs are hard to find, where are you hoping zoology will take you?

Not sure, snakeynewbie. Right now I'm open to anything. Obviously there's the academic path - but of course that's not so easy to enter either and I'm not sure it would be for me. I have considered science journalism. Any other suggestions? ;)

I'm loving environmental education, did it for a long time bak in Melbourne and working as a zookeeper at the moment and hoping to start a zoo education program there, should be fun. I'm actually in an online post grad education lecture right now :lol:

It's not too hard to get into research as long as you are willing and able to get out in the field and do the leg work.

I gather your study is in zoology, snakeynewbie? I'm interested in how you got into zookeeping. I thought you had to do the TAFE course, the name of which escapes me right now, to do that? Although zookeeping doesn't interest me as a long-term prospect, I'd do it short term - if only someone would take me on!

Environmental education is something that interests me, but I am terrified of standing in front of people and talking! Mind you, it would probably be easier to talk about something I'm interested in, if I can only get over that fear.

Research is also enticing. I guess it's completely dependent on funding?

Thanks,
Renenet

Small zoos and wildlife parks are the way to go, they are pretty much the feeders for the large zoos. Start out volunteering at a smaller wildlife park, pick up some paid work if you can and go from there. Large zoos don't let their volunteering staff do a whole lot usually whereas at a smaller zoo you are much more hands on. My first week I was caring for buffalo, cassowary, roos, dingoes, koalas as an assistant, a few months on and I'm training others now and I'm also allowed to access the higher end exhibits like the monkeys and the higher risk exhibits and to assist in the croc show and small group experiences and I've even done a couple of the keeper talks.(and I have a baby emu living in my backyard LOL)

As far as environmental education I recall you were on the other side of town but if you can get over to Bundoora talk to Andrew at the Wildlife Sanctuary at La Trobe, you can start out shadowing and watching others do enviro ed stuff with school groups and when you decide you are ready you can put your name down to do them yourself and get paid for it, it's not nearly as scary as it sounds because you and the kids have so much fun the nerves just disappear :)

Thanks, snakeynewbie. Volunteering sounds like great fun. I'm going to be studying in Cairns and there's a few small wildlife parks around there. I'll actually have the time to do volunteer work because I'll be unemployed to start with, (though hopefully not for long). I might actually get in touch before I go and get things moving. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back