Zoology degree

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakehose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently doing yr 11 at school and next year after i finish yr12 and VCE intend on going to uni to study animal science, zoology, or something along those lines. I was just wondering if anyone on here has a degree in this field and the courses/uni's etc you did/went you to get it.

cheers

Hey, I'm at grade 12 level but I don't go to high school, if you don't get a good enough OP to do vet science you could always look into doing Applied science, not sure how it works down there but in qld you can major in vet technology or animal science etc. Easier course to get into and then if you meet the standards you can upgrade to vet science. also you can do tafe course in animal technllogy etc. you just really gotta look around :) good luck

I'm still finishing of my second degree in science at Adelaide University, majoring in wildlife ecology. Having a degree will set you up in life, whether you ever use it or not, you'll learn so much from a uni education. Go forth young ones and fill your minds with a solid education :D

yeah its definetly what I want to do, with the way things are beginning to lean these days you really can't go through life without it ! Ill have to keep having a good look around to see what there is, still a couple of years yet :)

i hate uni.

i just want to work and have more money for herps. and not have to pay off 40 grand.

but i guess my science degree will make me rich later on in life.................

i hate uni.

i just want to work and have more money for herps. and not have to pay off 40 grand.

but i guess my science degree will make me rich later on in life.................

Yeah its a lot of hard work, but once completed you'll always have a degree, just hang in there!

And if you do what I did and missed year 12, (came to Australia for a holiday from NZ and never went back lol) you can do courses such as the one I am doing at the Uni of the Sunshine Coast, called a Tertiary Preparation Pathway course that gives you year 12 in 6 weeks if you do it over the summer semester, shows what a joke school is!
That gets you guaranteed entry into USC but they dont do zoology, so thats why I have to get good marks to ensure entry to UQ.

I'm at Monash Uni, studying doing a bachelor of science with one of my majors being zoology. I would say it's worth a look into. Main thing is, you will pry have to study more than just animals. Other ares of science too. So if only animals interest you, it might not be the best course for you. If however, you are interested in other fields of science then it is great.

Good luck.

yeah i did have a quick read up on how you need to do the flora & fauna, ecology, evolution, cell function etc. The cell stuff isnt exactly my favourite but once finished would be awsome to have the degree! which monash campus are you at ?
cheers

I'm just wrapping up year 12 now.
The courses that will help you getting into that career path include: Math Methods (CAS), Biology and Chemistry.

With these subjects you can get into a Science based course at UNI.

Im making my way to Veterinary Science through the 'side door' by doing Science at a university.

And if you do what I did and missed year 12, (came to Australia for a holiday from NZ and never went back lol) you can do courses such as the one I am doing at the Uni of the Sunshine Coast, called a Tertiary Preparation Pathway course that gives you year 12 in 6 weeks if you do it over the summer semester, shows what a joke school is!
That gets you guaranteed entry into USC but they dont do zoology, so thats why I have to get good marks to ensure entry to UQ.

UQ requires at least 5 subjects and their rank for vet science (if thats what your doing) is like OP1.. which you cant get doing atp (adult tertiary prep) well at least now through qld tafe... might be diff through your studying.. i know cuz i do Atp and want to attend UQ or JCU lol

I'm at clayton campus. Which as far as I know is the main one for zoology. Although I think Gippsland has some decent stuff too, not sure.

oh k , well that goes well as clayton is the closest to where I am. Just might mean a LOT of train rides...

I have a BSc in Zoology from the University of New England. I really enjoyed the course but can't get a job ;) Not many zoologist positions and if one does crop up it is really really competitive. I'm finishing my teaching degree now as a fall back but am also starting a Graduate Diploma/Masters in Applied Science (Captive Vertebrate Management) at Charles Sturt Uni next year by distance ed - get to do a unit called "Captive Reptilian Management" lol and "Zoo Curatorship" at Adelaide Zoo so I'm looking forward to that.
I agree with ozziepythons - its great fun going to uni and you learn heaps of cool things. Practicals in zoology are great :)

Last edited:
hey mate, I did bachelor of biological science at La Trobe Uni with a major in zoology and conservation biology and doing my zoology honours at uni of ballarat at the moment.
there are some really good courses you can do depending on what your really looking for. with first year your probably gona be looking at the same wherever you go, basic cell function, basic biology, ecology, chemistry maybe even some physics depending on what course you do.
each course has different benefits, i cant speak for the monash course or the melb uni course as i dont know much about them but i do know that the deakin course (wildlife ecology i think it is) is pretty good and the la trobe one was fantastic. the hardest bit i found was getting through first year as its very repetitive, like doing year 12 bio over again. but once you get through that then you can start to branch out into what interests you the most. by third year you can do specific subjects like animal behaviour, behavioural ecology, environmental physiology plus there is the opportunity to do lots of field work as well, i was lucky enough to do a herp study in the mallee and study of diet of new zealand fur seals on kangaroo island. average enter is around the 70 mark i think.

coops

Sweet thanks for that fritzi! Will look into that now. I've only completed half of the course, was going to be finishing it this summer semester, so it's not to late to change.
Is that what you're doing? That tafe thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back