Zoology degree

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have dipped my feet into most of the animal related courses in Australia. James Cook is by far and away the best institution to study zoology. James Cook also offer an awesome Veterinary science degree (allowing a broad spectrum of animals to get hands on xp with). For veterinary Science Melbourne Uni offer a great course with great facilities at Werribee (But the main focus is on domestic/farm animals). For ecology and the environment then Deakin offer a great course. ANU and Monash are also very good.

Guess again.

Uni is a hard slog, but the best times of your life! These days it pays to drop out of school in year 10 and do a trade, or finish year 12 and do a trade.. THAT's how you make lots of money haha but yes, a uni education is an awesome idea.

As for zoology, I'm pretty sure at the uni I go to you do a Bachelor of Science and major in zoology .. don't think there is actually a "Bachelor of Zoology"

i was being sarcastic lol.
what ever happens later in life, uni is always a great experience. and you have a degree so thats something to your name.

Hi blakehouse,

My sister has a Masters degree in Ecology and Wildlife Management, which she did through Macquarie University. To find the right university, you'll have to check up all the ones in your state (websites, contact them, ask your school career adviser who can help you research) and see which ones offer the best program for you.

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, be advised that it's really, really, REALLY hard to get a job in the environmental/ zoological field right now. Please take that into consideration, because whilst you may not care about that right now, when you've graduated that piece of paper isn't always going to put bread on the table!! Just be aware that you can always get a steady job and still indulge your love of wildlife by joining WIRES, etc.

I'm not trying to put you off- there's a saying, if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life- I'm merely advising you to take the practicality of your career choice into consideration as well. It's something to be aware of, at least.

yeah I've been tolds a few times of thew trouble people have even with the degree etc after uni. Like I said, I still have a couple of years to get everything sorted out, but its great everyone has given all of this info and its really helpful.
cheers

I didnt go to Uni for Animal related courses but I did a corespondance course in animal care. I would not have been able to get into any Uni courses with my VCE results, so did other stuff instead and now working full time (not in animal industry). Looking back now I am glad I didn't get into Uni for animal studies, as I have found TAFE courses over shorter periods of time (and cheaper) along with lots of work experience would be just as good. As someone else said a piece of paper isn't going to put bread on the table. I think a small amount of stuff with lots of work experience would look better to an employee. But that's just my opinion.

Hey, i also forgot to add, at Latrobe in Bundoora the lecturer i had for animal diversity was Brian Malone, an american (here permanently) herpetologist. Great chance to do your honours/phd in herping under him. a met a few students who were.
you'd need to check, but i'm pretty sure he's still there.

I have dipped my feet into most of the animal related courses in Australia. James Cook is by far and away the best institution to study zoology. James Cook also offer an awesome Veterinary science degree (allowing a broad spectrum of animals to get hands on xp with). For veterinary Science Melbourne Uni offer a great course with great facilities at Werribee (But the main focus is on domestic/farm animals). For ecology and the environment then Deakin offer a great course. ANU and Monash are also very good.

:D:D you have made my day,, i hope to study at James cook doing vet science. hope its as good as you make it out to be ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back