Zoo's Excess Breeding Stock

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.T.BUY

HELLO all just wondering what the zoos do with there excess breding stock. Do they sell them?? Give them away?? Let them go?? Or trade with other zoos??? has anybody had any luck and if so what zoo?? Either post or PM me

Call a zoo and ask?

If you're looking to score freebie reptiles though I think you'll find yourself sorely disappointed.

I guess you're not the first would-be-profiteerer who has tried their luck with them ;)

They are allowed to sell them to the public (as long as they're not a sp not allowed in public hands), but it is unlikely that they would IMO. Usually they trade with other exhibitors.

The have been instances where the Melbourne Zoo / Healesville Sanctuary have sold reptiles bred for research purposes to the general public by ballot etc. The last one I can remember was for forest dragons. They weren't a bargain price wise though they were cheap if you were a genuine enthusiast.

Dude stop being a tight *** and by your own reptiles stop trying to get free ones

HELLO all just wondering what the zoos do with there excess breding stock. Do they sell them?? Give them away?? Let them go?? Or trade with other zoos??? has anybody had any luck and if so what zoo?? Either post or PM me

yeah and even if they did come up often theyd only be given to experienced keepers known to the zoo. but on the other hand i have some varanus invisibleus you can have you just pay the shipping;)

It takes years of building relationships with most zoos before they will even consider you worthy. For most you then either have to meet a rigorous criteria to become trade accredited or be in the know with someone in the system who can vouch for you.

Snake Ranch Sell All There Excess Stock , Thay Operate Under A Zoo Iicence...

we can sell/give to private collectors, however most of the time we swap, loan or give to other parks and zoos and outside of that to keepers.
We try to keep within the zoo chain mainly so we dont get swamped by thousands of people wanting animals form us, plus we dont want to look like pet shops, Over the years sadly when we do sell or give an animal away 50% of the time it ends up coming back because the person is moving cant keep it, or just cant care for it. We dont like being treated like the local pound or have revolving doors.
It sounds harsh I know but at the end of the day the parks and zoos are just covering the bums, maintaining their conservation and education credibility, and maintaining the networking and management of captive species in the zoo network.

Dispite this, for anyone considering contacting a park or zoo for animals - go for it, Theres no harm in asking and there are times where we do need to find homes for animals, if we cant find enough homes through the zoos. The worst we will do is say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back