Death of native wildlife

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakesrule

Reaction score
Often I am called out to save native wild life from people or the other way around.
But all to often now to find I am being called out to find snakes and blue tongues caught up in bird netting and have died a very horrible and painful death because they have been tangled up and basically cooked alive Generally once they are caught in bird netting they cant escape as they cant go forward because the netting becomes entangled around the thicker part of their body and they cant go back as their scales get caught up.
Needless to say they are then helpless and are then left to the element whether it be the weather or to be attacked by predators ie dogs cats rats birds or insects.
Whatever the cause this has got to be a horrible death. All because people choose to use bird netting to grow a few strawberries etc
I am very interested in your thoughts as this is something I am very passionate about and I am sick of seeing our native wildlife wasted.
I have been in contact with DSE Victoria and their response was it is up to people like us to voice our opinion and help educate others.
I personally would like to see bird netting banned but I doubt that will ever happen but who knows if we can get a very strong response.

Please respond as this is a very important issue that needs our help.

netting..

Often I am called out to save native wild life from people or the other way around.
But all to often now to find I am being called out to find snakes and blue tongues caught up in bird netting and have died a very horrible and painful death because they have been tangled up and basically cooked alive Generally once they are caught in bird netting they cant escape as they cant go forward because the netting becomes entangled around the thicker part of their body and they cant go back as their scales get caught up.
Needless to say they are then helpless and are then left to the element whether it be the weather or to be attacked by predators ie dogs cats rats birds or insects.
Whatever the cause this has got to be a horrible death. All because people choose to use bird netting to grow a few strawberries etc
I am very interested in your thoughts as this is something I am very passionate about and I am sick of seeing our native wildlife wasted.
I have been in contact with DSE Victoria and their response was it is up to people like us to voice our opinion and help educate others.
I personally would like to see bird netting banned but I doubt that will ever happen but who knows if we can get a very strong response.

Please respond as this is a very important issue that needs our help.

I find this very disturbing. You could try to design a netting that would not trap lizards and still keep birds away. Unfortunately, unless you can sell it cheaper that convetional netting, most people would still use the stuff that kills animals :( Most people don't have the love we do for our scaley friends...

I agree with the bird netting issue on commercial growers, there has to be something else they can use as the area covered is way to big to monitor for trapped reptiles etc.
As for home gardeners, I think they should be allowed to use it as the area is small and can be monitored daily. But then again, if the owner works all day and animals can still get caught, sheshhhh! this is a hard one..

hmmmm. sounds like industry vs wildlife. Unfortunately most farmers (wineries and fruit farmers) and individuals using bird netting are more concerned about crop yield or personal satisfaction than protecting wildlife IMO. Humans are seemingly the dominant species on this planet, thus determine its evolution. Ultimately to these people profit is more important than protecting the earth and all the creatures that inhabit it :(

Given that bird netting is designed to trap and kill birds, I doubt that most people who use it are going to care about it also killing herps.
Sad, but true.

I agree with the bird netting issue on commercial growers, there has to be something else they can use as the area covered is way to big to monitor for trapped reptiles etc.
As for home gardeners, I think they should be allowed to use it as the area is small and can be monitored daily. But then again, if the owner works all day and animals can still get caught, sheshhhh! this is a hard one..

Yes I agree
In commercial use the farmers can only look after their own interest
In most instances when the customer calls you out to release the snake and hopefully itis still alive they do say to you until they have witnessed the result they really had not considered the consequences until they had seen it their selves.
I had one lady 2 weeks ago so distraught she broke down and cried because she had inadvertently caused the death of something beautiful. That is why I say if people like us who are passionate about our environment and do try to inform others on the horrible impact as things such as bird netting can cause.and we can get a few people to listen and possibly change their ways because of a better understanding. At the very least we will save some of our amazing wildlife.

happens all the time, bats and flying foxes have huge trouble with fruit tree netting if it's not stretched tight, as their echo doesn't see it. As a wildlife carer i have seen many needless deaths of beautiful wildlife, infact 60% of all rescues die.... but 100% would if there weren't any bleeding hearts to try. Australia is beautiful, and her animals are incredible, i see native bush distroyed every day, and shock horror next morning dead roo's possums snakes etc along the road way. sadly this will continue every day, we run them down with our cars, slash them with wippersnippers and lawn mower, dogs, cats attack and kill them, and people like us try to patch them up and then hope to find somewhere to release them safely, and just hope like hell they don't build another woolworths there.

You are so right pythoness .
Bu while t their are people like you still around I guess we all like to believe their is still hope.

Thanks snakesrule, but everyone can help, there is always hope, the smallest thing can make the biggest difference, from stopping to check a road kill pouch for surviving bubs and getting them to a carer asap, to just dragging the odd road kill off the road so carion eaters don't get clocked too, to recycling, clean energy, solar, even something as simple as grabing a bit of flying plastic to stop it entering our fragile waterways. if we all do one little thing a day, maybe our great grandkids can also share in the wonder of our unique fauna.

hmmmm. sounds like industry vs wildlife. Unfortunately most farmers (wineries and fruit farmers) and individuals using bird netting are more concerned about crop yield or personal satisfaction than protecting wildlife IMO. Humans are seemingly the dominant species on this planet, thus determine its evolution. Ultimately to these people profit is more important than protecting the earth and all the creatures that inhabit it :(

you live in a house dont you?, what about the land cleared to put up your house and the animals killed/displaced by doing that?? the amount of animals caught in nets, is nothing compared to the amount of animals killed by cats, be it feral or pet:rolleyes:
cheers Matt

you live in a house dont you?, what about the land cleared to put up your house and the animals killed/displaced by doing that?? the amount of animals caught in nets, is nothing compared to the amount of animals killed by cats, be it feral or pet:rolleyes:
cheers Matt

Matt you are so right! Why don't us humans go back to living in trees and let the environment shape our lives :lol:

:rolleyes:

Seriously humans should be able to evolve without adversely affecting the environment we live in... Maybe you live in trees but i prefer the house thankyou;)

Most people just don't think about the potential hazards..And don't realise it can be harmful.
But what would you suggest people use instead?

i agree with matty01 cats are the worst thing or killing wildlife if people said lets take the bird netting away for good people would get happy, but if we said lets wipe out all the cats, people would get cranky and start abusing people, well thats wat i think anyway

Weather it be cars cats dogs netting or construction work helpless animals are killed every day. I recently voluntered to clear some land at work knowing it was home to some blueys .If i had not offered bulldozers would have been called and what hope would they have ? I managed to catch and release two and will scour the area for more this week.I don't know what we can do to prevent these deaths other than try and educate those who dont yet know the beauty our reptiles hold and the rightfull place they have in our lives.

Plenty of people out there using bird netting as a means of snake deterrent. They don't give a rats if it kills the snakes - in their minds it's an effective and reasonable means of freeing their properties of these deadly pests (namely snakes)! That's the mentality we're all dealing with, and it's one we're facing an uphill battle with to persuade them to think any differently. They're not just using it for bird netting when it's used along fencelines, and for the DSE to say it's our responsibility is just another typical cop-out!

This is also very true
The amount of times we get called out for cat or dog inflicted injuries on wildlife and also the one that are blamed on the dog which has obviously been done by some hero with a shovel.
As previously stated if we do check road kill for babies and remove it from our roads to save further fatalities to our other native wildlife and pick up cans, bottles , plastics and other rubbish dumped by careless people we all will make a difference.
Unfortunately I dont think their is a lot we can do about the clearing of areas for human growth Because this a greed filled world we live in todayand to many dont want to make allowances for for the other creatures that inhabit the earth.
If people like us all chip in may be one day people will start listening and we will make a difference for all wildlife by trying to look after planet instead of exploiting it.

It is very encouraging to see their are a lot of passionate people on this site that dont give up and do their best to save the environment and its wildlife no matter how hard the task may be.

go for a drive and see how many acres of grapes etc are covered by bird net.it is on the ground and acting as a net for all herps that enter..kms of the crap.i hate to think of all the bodies of animals that are in them at the end of a summer..i would like to see a major change in the way its used .i would be very interested in doing anything i can to achieve this if its at all feasable..
all the vinyards on the peninsula have my number but none of them call..why should they,the snake will be dead in a couple of days..i even told some that i would remove live animals from the net for free..still waiting for the calls
time for change i reckon
baz

Your right baz, and it's actually the native bats that are most affected by bird netting being incorrectly erected. if it is stretched tight, bats will aviod it, as will birds, but if it follows any contours of the tree-bush-vine, they can't and will get trapped while trying to get some dinner. i'm sure the reps also go into the vines for food and have the same problem, and the soloution would be the same. it would be hard for a snake to get entangled in the net if it were installed correctly, again it comes down to education.

I to sssnakeman offer to remove them for free but if somebody doesnt mention this how else will it come to the attention of others.
It needs the attention of wildlife carers snake catchers and animal lovers in general to get the message out there.
Like I stated earlier people dont really consider the damage that humans have on the environment until they see it first hand whether it be discarded rubbish on roadside poisons or bird netting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back