2 Childrens pythons, twice as much fun?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthSerpent

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had been meaning to introduce myself as I have been reading and learning from a lot of your posts. However I have a question already if you could maybe help..

I bought an 8 month Children's hatchling a week ago and within 24 hours he had escaped. Oh the learning curve has begun! I couldn't believe how small a whole he needed and how crafty he was. Anyway his name was "Likki" and was awesome, so mellow and chill.

Well after searching (what I thought) was every tiny inch of the room, I figured he had esscaped under the door in the big world outside. SO a few days later I got another one... I did this for a few reasons, which include not having my children tell eveyone we had a lost snake in the house (possibly).

New hatchling ("Solid") was different, a bit bitey, a bit unsettled - never wanting to explore etc. He shed on the first night and refused a few days later. I was stoked when last night, I took him out and he got down a fuzzy in his feeding tub. So at least I know he is eating.

Went to check on him last night and there was "Likki" trying to break back into the tank! Maybe he smelled a mouse. Anyway I picked him up, no issues and he was still so cruisy. Once secured in a separate container I rushed to get him water and a mouse. He jumped straight on the mouse and he looked fresh, like he has also shed somewhere in the meantime.

Last night, I kept them separate however after reading advice, and also texting the breeder - I have placed him into the main tank as well with "Solid". They are in a 60x45x45 with heaps of hides and a heat lamp. I am really worried that they will hurt each other but I guess I should wait for tonight. They both have full bellies so I guess they should be sleepy for a day or.

I am hoping that having Likki be so confident and friendly that Solid might also relax and feel a bit more safe as well, but there is no evidence that I should expect this.

Any advice, comments etc would be welcome!

Thanks,

You need to keep them seperate, hatchlings (as well as adult snakes) can and will be cannabalistic if given the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Indeed I take your point - I will separate them out. Probably should have waited for a response first before putting them together.
Now I have to move one - 1 day after eating. Hopefully he wont vomit it up... btw I say "he" but I do not have any idea if they re make or female.

I will put Solid in the small click clack as he might benefit from a smaller more secure space. I will let you know how it goes.

Indeed I take your point - I will separate them out. Probably should have waited for a response first before putting them together.
Now I have to move one - 1 day after eating. Hopefully he wont vomit it up... btw I say "he" but I do not have any idea if they re make or female.

I will put Solid in the small click clack as he might benefit from a smaller more secure space. I will let you know how it goes.
From what I've read and heard they won't throw up unless it's a life or death situation as it actually hurts them to have to throw up so quickly.

And good choice of choosing the shy one :)

Thought I would give you an update - firstly thanks all for your advice.
I didn't realise until today how much smaller the shy one is than Likki, I believe they are from the same clutch and are around 8 months old but the difference is remarkable.

Solid, the shy one, seems much happier the click clack. I took them both out today for gentle handing 5 mins for Likki, and 2 mins for Solid. I tap them gently with a small (tiny) snake hook first and then picked them up. Both were cool.
Likki is just super curious and friendly, Solid has his eyes dilated and seems nervous - but no biting.

The plan is to keep up daily handling for the same time limit, increase after each successful weekly feed. At least I can sleep now knowing they are going to hurt each other!

Now for my next thread - how to make a Star Wars themed snake cage :)

Nice looking little snakes.

Just a little advice. If you've only had them for a week or two you're better off to keep handling to a minimum until they have completely settled and adjusted to their new environment. As has been mentioned on here numerous times they are not companion animals and don't like being handled but will become accustomed to it and tolerate it overtime. It doesn't take much to stress juveniles and this might not become evident until a little while down the track so just be patient and try to keep the handling limited to weekly cage cleans for a little while yet.

Cheers,

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back