Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Schapie,

I wouldn't put any faith in getting a positive ID from The Australian Museum. Unlike Bigguy and myself the herp staff there hardly have any experience in the field and subsequently don't see many live snakes. In fact your best chance of positive ID's are right here on this forum. I know Bigguy personally and can tell you that he has been around this game here in Australia for a long, long time and like myself has seen plenty of all the species mentioned to make a positive ID (even from the poor quality of the pics...lol) and if your going to go by anyone on here he'd be the man.

For my 2 cents worth there are no Common Brown Snakes (P. textilis) in any of these pics.

No.1 doesn't look anything like a Common Brown Snake (P textilis) or Little Whip Snake (D. flagellum). Going by the size, dorsal colouration and head pattern it is definitely 100% a Lowland Copperhead (A superbus). By the way these snakes can be rather defensive and will have a go at humans if they feel threatened.

Given the dorsal colour and markings in No,2 and the banding as you described in No.3, I'm with Bob (Bigguy) as Tiger Snake (N. scutatus) for No's. 2 & 3.

If you blow the picture up and also consider the location and time at night, No.4 definitely Brown Tree Snake (B irregularis).

No.5 looks nothing like a Red Belled Black Snake or Small Eyed Snake, as you describe it has a "buff shape", dark dorsal scales and distinct yellow belly (ventral) scales and is 100% a Highland Copperhead (A. ramsayi). You don't get Lowland Copperheads in the NSW Blue Mountains.

Cheers,

George.

george has been around since before snakes evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back