5yr carpet snake turned aggressive?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Whyte

Reaction score
Hey guys i dont understand completely how this site works.. so if i am posting in the wrong place i am sorry.
So my question is.. i have a female morelia bredli carpet python in which has turned 5 not too long ago. She is usually so friendly, she goes for walks and kids pat her and hold her she can go for car rides, she will curl up around my feet or lay in bed with me and my partner for a whole movie.. she hasnt bitten for 3 years..
Suddenly the last 2 days i cant get her out of the cage because when i did she was striking at everyone including me.. this isnt her normal behaviour at all? What reasons may she be doing this for? Could she be reaching sexual maturity, and her wanting a mate have somthing to do with this?
Could the hot muggy weather in nsw be bothering her?
Could she be smelling a rodent in the house?
Thankyou i would much appreciate some help and opinions.

Snakes might go ‘nasty’ for several reasons:

- incorrect temps
In NSW we’ve been having some pretty crazy weather, so that could be affecting your snakes mood. Make sure she is able to cool down in this weather (turn off heating and perhaps consider taking her under aircon/fans if she isn’t already)

- hunger
She could just be a bit hungry. Upping the size of the food item might help even out her mood if she’s being snappy because she’s hungry

- in shed
My snake can be unpredictable when he’s in shed. Sometimes he’s as docile as usual, othertimes he can be very snappy and skittish. If she’s nearing shed it’s something to consider

- bad timing
Sometimes they just have cranky days. Like people, sometimes they’re just not feeling it

- illness
Sick snakes can become very aggressive (however I’ve seen the opposite occur when a highly aggressive snake went ‘docile’ when it had a severe RI- though I suspect the snake is more legathric than docile)

- skittish
If you startled the snake or it suddenly woke up from a snooze you might have just frightened her a little

If you do think she may be sick, a trip to the vet would be worth it (even just for peace of mind).

Also I thought I should mention that in NSW it is illegal (and against your license conditions) to take your snake off your property (excluding sales, vet trips and change of address). It is considered ‘displaying/public display’ and if you are caught (and if the department is bothered) they can revoke your license and seize your animals.

I’ve never really heard any stories of snakes being removed (‘Bread’ the jungle python being showed off by its unlicensed keeper on a train was taken as it was being illegally kept- I didn’t hear anything about the off property thing. And I believe the Coastal carpet that went viral last year for being taken to the beach for a swim was also seized- not 100% sure why), but it is worth being aware of the rule
[doublepost=1515501414,1515501291][/doublepost]Forgot to mention-

It’s a bit late in the season for snakes to be out searching for a mate (and males will do most of the searching)- right now is when eggs are hatching out. Not to mention she’s a bit old for this to be the ‘first’ time she’s thinking about finding another snake to breed with. My yearling boys went crazy ‘searching’ for a girl coming out of winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back